Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Changing Handlebars.....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010 | 05:02 PM
deluxe4646
|
Intermediate
Exclamation DIY Changing Handlebars.....HELP!!

Has anyone changed the stock handlebars of their Deluxe by themselves??? I am trying to keep the cost of changing the bars down. I plan to put Apes on the bike and was wondering if I can do the work by myself. I am handy, but am unsure of what specific parts are needed.

handlebars
risers
where to purchase cables??
How to remove the after market grips which the dealer put on for me and reuse them??

Old 06-14-2010 | 05:15 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

We can get you everything you need. There are quite a few tutorials on here with how to's for bar changing. I think you will be fine. It is only time consuming.

Drew

Old 06-14-2010 | 07:16 PM
Schaub85
Road Master

doin it my self saved me at least 300 bucks. Something that really helped me was buying new switches, which come with 60" of wire already attached. just slide the wire thru the bars and attach the new connector and snap it into the bike. BTW you dont have to remove the tank completely. just remove the rear torx and front cross bolt and slide the tank back. good luck, and like the Doc said theres plenty of write ups on here on how to do this.

oh and the only thing about the aftermarket grips is getting the throttle and idle cables into the grip.

Old 06-14-2010 | 07:42 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

Just be careful,and disconnect the fuel line from the tank before you ever move the tank. Thank mistake cost me about 50 bucks.
I took pictures of the plugs before I took them a part, helped a lot on reassembly.

Old 06-14-2010 | 07:53 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tlb
Just be careful,and disconnect the fuel line from the tank before you ever move the tank. Thank mistake cost me about 50 bucks.
I took pictures of the plugs before I took them a part, helped a lot on reassembly.
I made this mistake once too. LOL.
Here is a link to what needs to be done.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-install.html

Old 06-14-2010 | 08:30 PM
Billtheduckhunter
2nd Gear
Default Re

Weed eater line and soapy water in a spray bottle work great for pulling the wires thru the bars. You'll have to lengthen the wiring . Having the connector tools are a huge plus unless you just want to cut, solder and shrink wrap. Just took off the apes for the street slammers on my FLSTC. Did the same on previous FatBoy.

Old 06-14-2010 | 08:43 PM
deluxe4646
|
Intermediate
Question

Thanks Doc for the link to the thread.... life saver.

I currently have a dealership preordering a set of 14" Buffalo bars with 2" risers.

Once I find out if those are the bars that I like and want to keep, how can I contact you about cables and novello kit??

Old 06-14-2010 | 09:07 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

No problem. I use a piece of string with a nut tied to the end to to get the string through the bars and then tie it around the wires to pull through. If you have question let me know.

Drew

Old 06-14-2010 | 10:11 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Looking forward to diving into same project on the wife's Deluxe. Been looking forward to it for alonggggggggg time.

Right now I'm stalling her by saying it's riding season and it's better to wait till winter. That excuse worked last summer too.

Good luck with your project

Old 06-14-2010 | 10:29 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Looking forward to diving into same project on the wife's Deluxe. Been looking forward to it for alonggggggggg time.

Right now I'm stalling her by saying it's riding season and it's better to wait till winter. That excuse worked last summer too.

Good luck with your project
It'll only take an afternoon or so. Take a day off work and do it!

Drew

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Handlebars.....HELP!!