Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal popping fuse! Suggtestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Turn signal popping fuse! Suggtestions?

My buddies bike is popping a fuse every time he hits the right signals. We recently rewired his bars when he added the Carlini's. I assume that maybe there is a bar wire inside the bars that is touching metal. I opened the switch housing on the road and all looks well in there. His rear signal is wired inside the channel of the struts so we were unable to check that on the road, but he was also telling me he just twisted the wires together and taped them so that could be a culprit as well.

Obviously it is a wire grounding out, I am hoping I don't have to take the bars apart again, but i wired them so I will fix them. Any other suggestions I may have overlooked?

When the accessory fuse pops the speedo goes dead and the brake light goes out as well. The code is p1097 which is for the speedo going out. The bike is a 2005 Fatboy with about 30K miles. I thought crank position sensor until I found a blown fuse.

Thanks!

Drew

Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
My buddies bike is popping a fuse every time he hits the right signals. We recently rewired his bars when he added the Carlini's. I assume that maybe there is a bar wire inside the bars that is touching metal. I opened the switch housing on the road and all looks well in there. His rear signal is wired inside the channel of the struts so we were unable to check that on the road, but he was also telling me he just twisted the wires together and taped them so that could be a culprit as well.

Obviously it is a wire grounding out, I am hoping I don't have to take the bars apart again, but i wired them so I will fix them. Any other suggestions I may have overlooked?

When the accessory fuse pops the speedo goes dead and the brake light goes out as well. The code is p1097 which is for the speedo going out. The bike is a 2005 Fatboy with about 30K miles. I thought crank position sensor until I found a blown fuse.

Thanks!

Drew
Sounds like you answered your own question....recheck your wirring. Check your work under the tank also. Not just the switch housing. Good Luck...

Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 PM
ernest3218
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take apart any of the wires he taped and solder, shrink tube and cover. also check inside bars.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 PM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When did he wire the rears through the struts? The first time I put mine through the struts I pinched one of the wires. When it grounded I blew up my run/stop/turn module. $60 pinched wire OUCH!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:12 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jed1069
When did he wire the rears through the struts? The first time I put mine through the struts I pinched one of the wires. When it grounded I blew up my run/stop/turn module. $60 pinched wire OUCH!!!
He has had the signals for at least 3 months. I'll have him check that first.

Drew

Old 06-13-2010, 10:29 PM
sliver
Tourer

Drew this may suck to do but can you get to the connector under the tank on the right side? if you unplug it there and locate the proper colored wire that runs to the switched side of the turn signal switch. Take a electrical meter and set it to continuity or ohms and touch one lead to the bike frame or ground and the other to wire that runs through the bars. If it rings you no the ground fault is in the bars. If not it will be in the rear of the bike. That is how I would do it. You know its in the bars! It probably is right at the drilled bar opening inside the switch box or the opening between the risers. openings in the bars are a perfect place for a ground fault.

Last edited by sliver; 06-13-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Radimus
Tourer

I ran a cigarette plug from by saddlebag to acc fuse and a pinched wire grounded it out...

It is a PITA but you know what you have to do already...

Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 PM
sEEkEr
Advanced

Interesting...same scenario here....installed new Beach bars and the right hand blinker doesn't work. The driving light side works but not the blinker.....

And yep...everything comes back off tonight.....

Old 06-14-2010, 03:40 PM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electrical problems just suck. Make sure to check along any long runs of wires for pinches or flat spots that might be frayed or broken inside the insulation.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll report back on Saturday after we figure it out.

drew