Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Apes for my NightTrain how to size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 11:29 PM
Old Patriot
Advanced
Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a whole lot of 'Personal Preference' in handlebars. I made up my mind many times over the years, only to learn different when actually trying em out. Sittin on various used bikes at the dealer helped me a lot over the years. Also to consider is if you need/want bars 'in line' with your forks as this drives some folks nuts. I needed my apes perfectly in-line w my forks to get low speed U-turns & such to be right.
Then, it's a good idea to lock bars to left to see where your right hand ends up, & verse-visa. Grip angle is also a factor, especially if you ride distances often. Depending on your 'V' position, you may end up w mini apes, etc. I once went to get apes, but ended up w buckhorns due to the extreme comfort they unexpectedly gave me w the pullback & grip angle, both. Looks good vs feels good.
In my experience, finding handlebars that fit just right is worse than buying new shoes, except handlebars won't break-in after a while.

Like seats & helmets, it sure is great when it comes out right.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:51 PM
Changing Gears 4ever!
Cruiser
Received 133 Likes on 77 Posts

I happen to love the look of apes, always have. What ever your preference for size, I would suggest as others have mentioned. Sit on your bike and hold out your arms like you think you want them. Then sit there for about 10 minutes with your arms holding out. When you start to feel the weight of your arms, maybe you feel a little less circulation to your hands, you might consider its too high for you. We wont even get into state restrictions on height. After some time on the road you may find you are hanging from the bars more than anything else. You can increase the size by dropping them on the trees to help. Just some thoughts.

Jeff