Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing saddlebags on Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010 | 06:26 AM
Radimus
|
Tourer
Default Replacing saddlebags on Heritage

The original bags are victims of weather and one too many asphault grinds... I replaced 1 with a better condition bag from a swapmeet and I keep looking on ebay for a set in good condition without having to pay over $300 per bag.

I found these bags from Fox Creek Leather and minus the HD concho ($14.00 each) and some addl studs, they look passingly like the originals.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/produ...ed-bolt-on-bag

Anyone have experience with this bag or company... I have seen some pretty cheap looking bags out there and I'd not want to be wasteful and buy crap that I'd just have to replace the first time it gets wet.

All that aside, I do plan to "improve" whatever new bag I get with some aluminum or sheet steel panels and gorilla glue to make them keep their shape... I also have seen a simple mod to add a hinged top inside the lid cover to make a simple locking system.

Old 06-05-2010 | 06:57 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

IMO you would be better off getting these of which are much cheaper in price and look much better..You will have to buy the ghost brackets too, but they lock w/a key and come on and off in 30 seconds. http://www.edgeleather.com/Edge-Prod...Model-105.html It is what I run on my softail.
Here's a pic of what they look like;

I got the tek leather ones as they are virtually maintenance free. Wipe the dust off that's about it.
They also have leather ones though too.

Old 06-05-2010 | 08:04 AM
Radimus
|
Tourer

Those aren't bad... I don't like the conchos with the tassles (my preference), but I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to remove/replace them

For $300 (or so) that isn't a bad alternative, especially with the built in reinforcement...

Added to my mental list of alternatives

Old 06-05-2010 | 10:27 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

My vote would be to stick with the HD originals. Ebay or a discount HD source online such as Zanotis. Then go with the gotsaggybags DIY system or the Boss Bags installed system.

Old 06-05-2010 | 11:31 AM
BlackRob
Tourer

I have Harley's quick detach bags since my "Heritage" didn't come with bags. They are the same size, don't have all the decorations, and can be removed in a second. Great for bringing your bags inside when you are on a trip and for stripping the bike down for cleaning or cruising. Down side is there is no way to lock the bags or lock them to the bike.

Old 06-05-2010 | 11:34 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Ebay and Craigslist are the places to look. Be patient and the right deal will come along.

Drew

Old 06-06-2010 | 03:57 AM
Notorious688
Road Master

Tagged... I would love to replace my stock bags on my Classic with QD bags with a quick latch system instead of the buckles. The hardbags are awesome but don't match the bike. I don't mind the conchos and tassels, that is part of the look of a Heritage Classic, after all.

Old 06-06-2010 | 09:06 AM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

This guy makes very high quality bags!!!! He makes them from a small shop and does not mass produce bags! He stands behind them 100%

I have his springer style bag on my bike but the link below is for your style bags.

The price of his bags are with the easy brackets as well, so keep that in mind. If you do not want them he has a hard mount system.

http://www.saddlebags.net/store/p/4-...addlebags.html

also I forgot to add: You will not need to place sheet metal in his bags. He re-enforces his bags with metal and PVC.

Last edited by BigSeaDaddy; 06-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2010 | 10:15 AM
Berm
Cruiser

I just saw this ad on my San Diego Craiglist for Heritage bags off a 2008 for $200.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1770663950.html

Old 06-06-2010 | 10:37 AM
Notorious688
Road Master

What's an easy bracket?

Quick Reply: Replacing saddlebags on Heritage