Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel management system.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM
bigbopper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel management system.

Hey all,

Over the winter I installed a stage 1 and am running a PCIII with V&H pipes and SE heavy breather AC on my 08' Fatboy.
There was no way I was going to fit the PCIII box under the seat, so I ended up jamming the connectors through a really tight hole and putting the box in front of the splash guard in front of the rear wheel.
I'm really not happy with the install of this "piggy-back" system. The placement sucks and I was wondering what the best system is for factory computer tuning or replacement. I really don't want an external box. The map I'm running also doesn't seem quite right and I get nasty pinging when it's hot and I get on it....
I would like something tuneable, as I am never happy with what I have and am always looking for more....
I will be taking the bike for dyno tuning once I figure this out.

Thanks,
BB

Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Mgmt. System

In my humble opinion the Thunder Max or T-max is the best. It is a direct plug an play replacement for your stock ECM. With the Autotune, which I recommend, you simple download a map as close as you can to match your components and then ride. As you ride the auto tune does it's thing and fine tunes the ecm. It also has features that you can adjust with a laptop computer for even finer tuning. I installed one on my 07 Ultra installed a map and WOW what a difference. No more pinging, and the heat was finally bearable. I have also read some posters liking the HD SERT which is a software download so you have no "piggyback system" to worry about. But with the SERT you probably need to Dyno the bike. If you can hold of a recent issue of American Iron Magazine they are doing a whole series on tuning EFI HD's. One other point, the T-max is not cheap about $850-900. I know Cateye Customs, a forum sponsor, sells them. Anyway just my $.02 worth.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM
bigbopper
6th Gear

Thanks fishcop, good info there. I'll look for the magazine and do some reading too...

Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thundermax and look for a used one on the hd classified for about $400-$450

Old 06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
bigbopper
6th Gear

Great, thanks for the info!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 PM
texas-buzzard
Advanced

TM with autotune, worth every dollar. plug and play with whatever upgrade you do.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 PM
WoodsHog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all above.Thunder Max with autotune.Just installed mine last week and love it.The problem with the Sert and others is the fact they just reprogram the open loop map.When in closed loop it is still trying to achieve 14.7 to 1 air fuel ratio.The narrow band o2 sensors are only good for 14.1 to 15.1 readings,I think.Closed loop is cruise and idle,which is where we ride most of the time.At least thats what I've read in AIM mag.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by texas-buzzard
TM with autotune, worth every dollar. plug and play with whatever upgrade you do.
what he said

Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto on the Thundermax

Colin

Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What babout the TTS Mastertune? I don't have one but have been thinking about getting it. If I understand it right, you can adjust some voltage values to change your target AFR in closed loop mode. I like the idea of both systems, but I really like the price ($425.) of the TTS. Hopefully someone with a TTS will post and let us know if I'm right about the TTS being a viable choice.

Quick Reply: Fuel management system.