Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big shot or stright shots

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 09:10 AM
3dsteve
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big shot or stright shots

what does every one think would look better on the deluxe big shots or long shots i cant decide . im looking to keep that nastalgia look and sound .

Old 06-10-2005, 09:31 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts
Default RE: big shot or stright shots

Had a set of the shorter Big Shots on my 02 Fat Boy. Good look, good sound, but they're a horsepower thief. Do a little snooping around and try to get a good combination that will bump up your HP or at least keep it the same but still give you the sound that you're looking for. The pic of my bike shows that I went with a 2 into 1 Hooker but a lot of people want the look of dual pipes. But as the old marketing line says, "I Love My Hooker (headers)". As a bonus in addtion to the extra HP, I think they have a growling, much more mean sound to them instead of the blat of my old Big Shots.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:08 AM
jtfrog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed Big Shots and I thunk I lost power to.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:16 AM
DLUXE
Advanced

post some pics jt

Old 06-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DLUXE

post some pics jt
I'd like to see some pics as well...[8D]

Old 06-12-2005, 01:38 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Neither. The Big or Long Shots aren't nostalgic looking at all. Of course, that's just my Not-So-Humble-Opinion! If you're wanting to do something that fits with the bike's character, as it is styled to look similar to a rigid frame Pan (1948 - 1957), then check out some pics of those years. You'll see that most have a 2-into-1 head pipe with a single muffler on the right side. Common modification was a "fishtail" muffler. Another was a "fishtail" straight pipe extension to replace the muffler.

None of these are "performance" exhausts. For that you gotta do the 2-into-1 equal length tuned headers.

Here's a pic of my '78 FLH with the 2-into-1 headpipe and a 30 inch fishtail extension.

Old 06-12-2005, 02:27 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

>>>>>>>Just installed Big Shots and I thunk I lost power to.

Did you ever think of the butterfly trick in the end of the pipe??

It consists of a 1/4"x1" thumb screw or taking a 3/4" outside diameter washer and weld it to the top of a 3/4" x 1/4" bolt.( looks like a lollipop) with 2 nuts, one on the inside of the pipe and one on the outside as a locknut. Requires drilling a hole in the tail end of the pipe a few inches in (usually in the underside or slightly inboard so it's not visible) and mounting this setup into the hole with the thumbscrew in path of the exhaust. This makes it tunable by turning the thumbscrew to either restrict the exhaust or the other way to let the exhaust bypass with out restriction. You can turn the thumb screw in many positions ( to tune) the exhaust where ever you feel it runs best. It works wonders to give you back low end torque where you loose with these and drag pipes because all you need is a little backpressure to make them work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2318/7BE52A3AD45B4050BBAE0165FAF40562.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-13-2005, 12:38 AM
jtfrog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of Big City Thunder baffles with that in them. Had great horse power. I have the quiet baffle wich has a plug so there should be some back presure.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 AM
Detour
Road Captain

Damn, my Big Shots are in now and the dealer is supposed to install them tomorrow along with some other performance upgrades. I may switch to the Big Shots staggered if it's not too late. They're supposed to add horsepower...[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Kurt

Old 06-13-2005, 03:11 AM
Detour
Road Captain

One of the reasons I'm having the dealer install the pipes is they're installing a race kit and putting it on a dyno, I wonder if that will make a difference in power loss or not?

Kurt

Quick Reply: big shot or stright shots