Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14" or 16" carlini gangter ape or flying ape

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Good Time Gang
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm, MO says no higher than 15 inches from seat, that ruins my plans......

Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Good Time Gang
hmmmm, MO says no higher than 15 inches from seat, that ruins my plans......
CA is 6" over your shoulders. Thanks Arnie!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:30 PM
Gilmb
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reserecting this thread to get some feedback on the Carlini Flying Apes. Any feedback on quality, chrome plating, cable length and pics on road kings is appreciated. I am 5’9 with 30 inch inseam (long back) and think the 14" bars will work for me. Love the look of these bars and need 3" more pullback and 2" more rise when compared to the Heritage style bars I have now. Love the foreword curve the flying apes have as they keep the lines with the forks with the benefit of pullback. Any feedback out there is appreciated. Also thinking of going with the cvo tbw to get rid of the green connector.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:49 AM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilmb
Reserecting this thread to get some feedback on the Carlini Flying Apes. Any feedback on quality, chrome plating, cable length and pics on road kings is appreciated. I am 5’9 with 30 inch inseam (long back) and think the 14" bars will work for me. Love the look of these bars and need 3" more pullback and 2" more rise when compared to the Heritage style bars I have now. Love the foreword curve the flying apes have as they keep the lines with the forks with the benefit of pullback. Any feedback out there is appreciated. Also thinking of going with the cvo tbw to get rid of the green connector.
I just put 14" Flying Apes on my Fatboy Lo with the nacelle. I'm 6'1" and my hands sit just slightly taller than my shoulders. They look fantastic as far as fit & finish go. Comfort is very good but I think I would go with 12's if I did it again. The 14's are good but 12's would be perfect comfort-wise for long trips etc... I went +8" on all my cables and front brake line and ordered from Magnum Shielding.

Word of advice for you...... get the 1.5" diameter bars. They go really well with our big front ends!

Old 03-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Gilmb
Cruiser

Thanks Berick, I will probably go with the 1.5". I read the Carlini flying apes may be 1" higher than advertised so I will have to make some measurements to see if I should go with the 12 or 14 inch bars.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:34 PM
kinect
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the flying apes has less pullback than the Heritage bars that you have now and I noticed that you wanted 3" more? I personally think that these bars look best when pushed forward at 11 to 12 o'clock position. I've seen some gangster and flying apes posted on other threads wherein these bars were pulled towards the rider and they look awkward. The position of the bars will make or break the entire look of the bike. IMHO.

The following users liked this post:
Gilmb (03-03-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kinect
I think the flying apes has less pullback than the Heritage bars that you have now and I noticed that you wanted 3" more? I personally think that these bars look best when pushed forward at 11 to 12 o'clock position. I've seen some gangster and flying apes posted on other threads wherein these bars were pulled towards the rider and they look awkward. The position of the bars will make or break the entire look of the bike. IMHO.
Depending on how high his arms will rest.... he may not need as much pullback. If your arms are lower you need the pullback but as you raise your arms they extend away from the body more..... unless you're putting 22" apes on in which case you need more pullback. lol

Gilmb (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Gilmb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kinect
Thank Kinect. I checked the specs on the heritage style bars and the Carlini Flying Apes 14" and found rise is 12" vs 14". Pullback is 5" vs 11". I thought I could get the rise and pullback I am looking for and still have the bars pushed forward as I would not need 11" of pullback. Either I am missing something with the way I understand pullback or the two suppliers measure it differently. sure wish there was an easier way to figure out what bars will work for what I want.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:10 PM
kinect
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilmb
Thank Kinect. I checked the specs on the heritage style bars and the Carlini Flying Apes 14" and found rise is 12" vs 14". Pullback is 5" vs 11". I thought I could get the rise and pullback I am looking for and still have the bars pushed forward as I would not need 11" of pullback. Either I am missing something with the way I understand pullback or the two suppliers measure it differently. sure wish there was an easier way to figure out what bars will work for what I want.

The Carlini specs for the flying apes with 11" pullback is just not there and other members can probably attest to that. If you read previous posts on carlini bars, they said it's more like 5" pullback too. You're 3 inches taller than me and I have 14" 1.5 bars. I have no problem with the height of the bars since I had 18" before and I kinda wished I got the 16's but my issue is the 41.5" width of the 1.5 bars when turning on parking lots. Not really a problem since I can manage. If I have the flying apes in 1.25" with 34.5" width then I believe I have no issues going for 16's even 18's. And by the way, 14's are the lowest flying apes carlini offer in 1.5 diameter.

My 14" 1.5 diameter flying apes are 15.5" high.

Last edited by kinect; 03-03-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Gilmb (03-03-2016)
Old 10-14-2018, 11:11 PM
BRIT206
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sorry for the old thread post but....

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Here is a pic of the 1.5" 16"'s to give you an idea of what they look like.

To confirm... these are the 16”, 1.5” Carlini FLYING apes, or Gangster...?

thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: 14" or 16" carlini gangter ape or flying ape