Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing screws - chrome or stainless?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts
Default Replacing screws - chrome or stainless?

I'm going to zip out to the hardware store, I'd like to replace as many zinc screws on the bike as poss - which should I get?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go with stainless. That's what I used when I had to get a longer bolt to install a windshield bag.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:33 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm slowly switching mine out to chrome.

Stainless is nice, but the threads can easily gall and can make removal difficult. If you go with stainless it's best to use a good quality anti-sieze with moly.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ElSupremo

Stainless is nice, but the threads can easily gall and can make removal difficult. If you go with stainless it's best to use a good quality anti-sieze with moly.
Thanks - Lowes definitely has stainless, are they (or Home Despot, or <your hardware store here>) likely to carry chrome?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:44 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Thanks - Lowes definitely has stainless, are they (or Home Despot, or <your hardware store here>) likely to carry chrome?
I've been going to the local Ace Hardware. They've got a pretty good selection of chrome hardware.

The Lowe's around here doesn't carry any chrome, and I haven't checked out Home Depot, so I'm not sure about them.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

I've been going to the local Ace Hardware.
Great thanks. With chrome - Locktite (blue) on all screws?

Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,781 Likes on 530 Posts

Stainless....chrome is going to crack as soon as a tool comes into contact with it, then it will rust in the center. Go to Lowes and get a some buffing wheels and compound and mount them on your bench grinder and polish them. Looks way better than chrome, and won't ever rust. +1 on the anti seize. Get your hardware at Fastenal or HCI if you have one local.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:15 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

You might consider polished stainless. There is a company in Daytona that sells kits for HD's. A lot cheaper than chrome and none of the problems associated with chrome.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:52 PM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

incorrect sorry ive been using stainless fasteners on my boats cars trucks,bikes for about 25 years ive never had the problem you speak of and i live in vancouver canada which has more rain per year than most places,and i have never used never sieze on them..they only corrode due to cross ozidization from bolting 2 different metals together without paint to isolate them..i have done every bolt on my sporty in stainless steel and without issue..i never used moly or never sieze ..they were and are easliy removed ..now the HD chrome bolts all rusted from the tool marks left from the allen wrench..HD still hasnt replaced their cheap chineese chrome bolts..

Old 05-29-2010, 03:02 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by colonelangus1
incorrect sorry ive been using stainless fasteners on my boats cars trucks,bikes for about 25 years ive never had the problem you speak of and i live in vancouver canada which has more rain per year than most places,and i have never used never sieze on them..they only corrode due to cross ozidization from bolting 2 different metals together without paint to isolate them..i have done every bolt on my sporty in stainless steel and without issue..i never used moly or never sieze ..they were and are easliy removed ..now the HD chrome bolts all rusted from the tool marks left from the allen wrench..HD still hasnt replaced their cheap chineese chrome bolts..
Stainless galling is a fact. Are there ways of helping to mitigate it? Sure. But to say it's incorrect that they gall is not knowing the facts. Google "stainless galling" and see what stainless manufacturers say about it. They often refer to it as 'cold welding'. There's a lot of different reasons stainless galls so easily. You've been lucky, that's all.

I work in a refinery here in the PNW not far from you. Whenever we use stainless bolts, compression fittings, etc, they are tossed after they come apart, if they come apart. We're having to cut them apart as often as unbolting them.

I'm not an opponent of stainless, nor a fan. It is what it is, and does what it does. It has lot's of uses in lots of applications. For myself I'd rather replace a chrome bolt every 5 years for a couple bucks if it happens to show some rust, as opposed to snapping a stainless one and having to deal with that. So far none of the chrome on my bike has shown any signs of rust, and a lot of it has been taken apart several times. It's not uncommon for my bike to sit out overnight, or be exposed to the elements. I'm probably lucky that way, also.

Quick Reply: Replacing screws - chrome or stainless?