Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have moisture problems in speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:38 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Anybody have moisture problems in speedo?

So I'm rockin with my new SEII's installed yesterday, I take her out for a couple hours of test ride with the new slip ons, and I notice dried water in the inside of my speedometer.

Anybody have this problem yet? I need to run it in and see if it's covered under the warranty, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, but I'm nervous just the same.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:31 AM
nitetrain
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody have moisture problems in speedo?

I did notice some moisture in my speedometer, Sunday on a poker run. It was condensation like a rainbow effect. Didn't see it today when I hader out.Don't know if that helps.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:37 AM
Detour
Road Captain

I had a small amount of condensation in the fuel gauge once, but it went away once I rode for awhile...

Kurt

Old 06-10-2005, 05:39 AM
jtfrog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know if they warrenty it, I beleive I have the same problem.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 PM
greenbayhog
Cruiser

Bad news guys,
I too had some moisture in my speedo so I took it to my dealer. They told me HD does not cover it under warranty becuase "they havent had enough complaints about it." Which is crazy, I ve heard this problem from a lot of people. They recomended letting the bike sit out in the sun for a while to help dry it out?
Sorry about this, maybe you should check with your dealer as well and see what they say.
GBH

Old 06-10-2005, 01:21 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

All you'll get is "thats normal, it happens to all the bikes"

So instead of figuring out WHY, they call it normal

Old 06-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother has the same problems on his EG Fire Fighters Edition. Dealer up there wouldn't do anything and said it wasn't a problem of theirs. They also give him the run around about it stalling when taking off. He dumped the bike last week due to it. He's about fed up with HD and their 7 year extended warrenty that they never honor.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:43 PM
mchaous
Cruiser

My 2004 Fatboy had some fogging in the speedo last week. I got home and let it sit and the fogging was gone. I looked it up in the service manual and found that it wasn't the speedo that fogged but the glass cover. One of these days I will take off the tank control and clean the cover. It seems to have smuges in it on the other side and that is what is causing the fogging.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:09 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

OK- I rode into the dealer yesterday and talked to the warranty guy. He told me just what you guys have been sayin: "it's normal" he said it happens to a lot of bikes, and that the speedo is not a moisture sealed unit. Said he'd call the factory anyway if I wanted him to. He also told me it wouldn't do any damage or hurt the speedo in any way. (which is hard to belive when my bike is a few years older)

but anyways, I didn't have any luck, and they couldn't help me other than telling me it isn't a moisture sealed unit, and it happens to other bikes too. This has been my first bad experiene with the dealer, I guess when it gets bad enough I'll have to take it apart myself and clean ut up. (since I won't be ruining the moisture barrier)

Old 07-03-2005, 12:25 AM
unclestoolie
Advanced

My local stealership told me that the "rainbow" effect was because HD does not used a sealed guage. Said they tested a sealed guage, and the extreme temperature changes (I live in MD) caused the sealed guage to explode. Kinda makes sense. Stealer told me that absolutely no harm will be caused to the electronics.....guess we'll see.

Quick Reply: Anybody have moisture problems in speedo?