Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire mess after removing tag holder from deuce

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 AM
lastson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire mess after removing tag holder from deuce

Had everything zip tied and up out of the way pretty good or so i thought but one of the ties broke and as I left our local bike night last night I had no head lights. Had to rewire and refuse some stuff. Bike is lowered slightly. Any ideas on how to get the wires up and out of the way would be great. I'm thinking about taking out all the slack back there ton of wire for no reason. Other then that right now it being morning and me being a zombie without coffee, my brain is still at home so i got nothing.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:38 AM
RuMbLeStRiP
Advanced

You should some of the slack out of the lines. Easiest way to do it then heatshrink the two cables togather. Probably the easiest and cleanest way to do it.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 AM
lastson
Tourer

Thats what im thinking now that i have had the nectar of the gods. pull it tight take out any slack soder the lines that need it and heat shrink if worst comes to worst get some good heat tape and slap it up against the bottom of the fender.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:41 AM
RuMbLeStRiP
Advanced

I wouldn't pull it tight, i'd leave a little extra in there. and i'd use heat shrink tubing around all of the connections. Splice, solder, and heat shrink. That should make for a reliable connection and water tight. Just remember to put the heat shrink tubing on the wire before you solder them togather

Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 AM
chad pickens
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My nigh train has a loom or rubber channel that has 2 sided tape on it and it sticks up to the fender.When I bought my paint set it came with a new loom also. Might go to the stealer and get one for a 2006 night rain and cut it to fit

Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 AM
lastson
Tourer

Originally Posted by RuMbLeStRiP
I wouldn't pull it tight, i'd leave a little extra in there. and i'd use heat shrink tubing around all of the connections. Splice, solder, and heat shrink. That should make for a reliable connection and water tight. Just remember to put the heat shrink tubing on the wire before you solder them togather
Did that on the first wire of the new head light just sat there with the facepalm going on.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
lastson
Tourer

Originally Posted by chad pickens
My nigh train has a loom or rubber channel that has 2 sided tape on it and it sticks up to the fender.When I bought my paint set it came with a new loom also. Might go to the stealer and get one for a 2006 night rain and cut it to fit
might have to check into that.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:53 AM
JWitz
Tourer

You will get a better seal by using several pieces of heat shrink....cut each one a bit longer than the other....heat the first one down....then slide the next one over and heat it down and so on......anything that uses adhesive will most likely come loose during the hot summer months....best to find a good tie point...

Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 AM
chad pickens
Road Captain

Mine came from moco with the loom that way, and has never been a problem. 3M adhesive products are bad ***

Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
chad pickens
Road Captain

Quick Reply: Wire mess after removing tag holder from deuce