Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax V.S. Fuelpak

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:56 AM
r0ck3r
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax V.S. Fuelpak

So I am gettin close to ordering my pipes, intake and fuelpak and noticed on here someone talkin about Thundermax. I just wanted to get a general consensus from everyone on which one they thought was the best...

I thought that maybe because the pipes I am gettin are V&H that maybe I should stick with V&H Fuelpak but from what I have read, people on here cannot say enough about Thundermax. Also I'm curious to know what the difference is between Thundermax EFI, Thundermax 50 and Thundermax TBW. I have an 08 Rocker that I am going to be installing all this on.

Here is the setup - V&H Shortshots (staggered), Thunder Monster Baffles w/Screamin Eagle intake on an 08 Rocker.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dennis

Last edited by r0ck3r; 05-26-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stuck with V&H, and I am very happy with them. I don't plan on doing anything additonal to the engine. It tuned up nicely, with all the V&H stuff; exactly what I wanted.
Coyote

Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 AM
WATERHAWG08
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

If you are NOT going to ever do any motor work...big bore, cams... the Fuelpak is a easy and inexpensive, compared to the cost of the T-max, way to adjust the bike for pipes and a/c. I'm running Fuelpak on my 08 NT for 3 yrs now and I've changed exhaust 3 times, just go to the Fuelpakfi.com website and put in the info about your bike and the setup you are running and it will give you the settings you will need. Good luck

Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 AM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FuelPak's the way to go. Especially with their pipes too.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

This is an apples to oranges comparison. Personally, I prefer the thundermax, and not just because it costs more and we sell it. We sell the fuelpak too. The fulepak has a limited range. You may say now that you don't plan to upgrade now and change your mind in the future in which case the Fuelpak is kind of useless. If you are anything like me, after a bit of time passes you change your mind. If not, then the Fuelpak will serve your needs, but I prefer a power commander or TTS over the fuelpak as well.

Drew

Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went through the same indecision as you " which setup to buy" well after alot of homework I choose the T-Max with autotune, simply for the same reasons the DR stated
If you are anything like me, after a bit of time passes you change your mind
check out youtube and seach for the Thundermax lots of info.

Colin

Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
RedBen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, huge difference in functionality as others have said. You need to decide based on what you may or may not do in the future to your motor as to whether the several hundred extra $ for the TM is worth it. My understanding is that the TM 50 is somehow EPA compliant. The TBW version is for touring bikes with Throttle By Wire (hence TBW).

Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least 90% of softail riders I know have wound up wanting more power after a year. I hate spending money twice.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not pay for a new fuelpak. There are a lot of people who buy them and then sell them. I am happy with my fuelpak, several years and still do not need more power, happier I paid less than 100 dollars for it.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have only changed pipes 3 times and baffles 4 times and tire size 2 times. the first setup i had was a pclll and rush slip ons and a $280 dyno tune. it was great. but then the changes came and i could pay another dyno, $320 now, or get the TM. I did not have $700, yes that was the old price, so i found used one in our forums for $450. Well after making more changes i am now ahead of the cost and changes are now $320 cheaper.
Also the riding aspect, like change in altitude, load, crap gas, head wind, hills and other things the TM retunes as i drive

Quick Reply: Thundermax V.S. Fuelpak