Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome powder coating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 PM
08Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome powder coating?

Has anybody seen something that has been powder coated chrome? I'm thinking of getting my wheels done. If you've seen something, what did you think.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get with Joe (powderpro) and he can answer all your questions.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

I powdercoat myself. Ive heard of chrome but have not seen it myself. Ill say this, clear PC used to have a blue tint to it and was horrible. Its now clear as can be. With that in mind, all i can do is assume that the chrome is just as refined. Why not try a sample piece of metal. It would be worth paying for just to see the end results for piece of mind. Good luck man.
Tom

Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 PM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive done it its no different than anything else.just sand blast the chrome until its dull not completely off its not needed.then clean and coat.i did my sissybar, sideplates ,handlebars,cowbell jhorn,upper triple tree cover and the aluminium headlight mount all came looking great and has held up to road grit rocks etc ..remember the 3 c's with powder coating..clean clean and clean some more
heres some pics of my bike with the parts installed.

Last edited by colonelangus1; 05-25-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

Originally Posted by colonelangus1
ive done it its no different than anything else.just sand blast the chrome until its dull not completely off its not needed.then clean and coat.i did my sissybar, sideplates ,handlebars,cowbell jhorn,upper triple tree cover and the aluminium headlight mount all came looking great and has held up to road grit rocks etc ..remember the 3 c's with powder coating..clean clean and clean some more
heres some pics of my bike with the parts installed.

To be honest, you dont even need to sandblast. Just a good douching with acetone and shoot. Ive NEVER had a problem.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Hotwire
Tourer

I find that depending on the quality of the chrome you can run into a peeling issue when its heated. But thats a rare a problem with Stock MOCO parts.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:48 PM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeMiGoD
To be honest, you dont even need to sandblast. Just a good douching with acetone and shoot. Ive NEVER had a problem.
correct i should have said bead blasted not to remove it just to opaque it i guess same thing as acetone without the acetone lol
Originally Posted by Hotwire
I find that depending on the quality of the chrome you can run into a peeling issue when its heated. But thats a rare a problem with Stock MOCO parts.
again i dont acually use sand as im aware of the peeling issue,glass or something similar is generally what i use ..peeling happens way more with cheap overseas<china> harley chrome compared to chromed in the usa or canada..
eitherway its easy to coat chrome agreed..the only reason to etch it is so the paint wont slide of before baking ..thats what my rep tells me..i have a backyard coating business.i do rc cars and truck parts ,motorcycle parts and hotrod parts ..ive just built a new 1000sq ft shop 28'x35' with 12' cielings to expand the coating business..going to be a hell of a man cave lol

Old 05-26-2010, 09:46 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my pipes are ceramic and they dont change color and silver looking. that is what it looks like under the heat shield.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 AM
LooseMoose
Tourer

If I'm reading the original post correctly, the O.P. is looking for a powdercoat that has a chrome finish... Correct? IE: He'd like to powdercoat his aluminum wheels to look like chrome...

If so... I'll be following this thread.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM
OUTLAW1969
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know if the process for a "chrome" - like finish is any better now, but a few years ago I had something done in a chrome powder. It looked GREAT.....for a few months and then turned grey.

I agree with the post that suggested getting a spare piece done, and then leave it in the elements to see how durable the shine is.

Quick Reply: Chrome powder coating?