Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crossbones

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010 | 11:39 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Right on! Yeah I have been away for a while. I got laid off back in July and thought I might have to sell my Bones what with having a 1 year old baby hanging about and another one on the way in January. It only took me three weeks to pick up work. It is contract and I am making more money than I was before but it is a temp job due to end in March. Anyway. My own project has slowed down dramatically. The sad thing is that I just need a few things to bring it all together but I want to wait till this spring to know exactly what I will be facing financially.

I like that you had the rear fender shaved. I thought about doing that myself but the light system that I will eventually implement can use the stock holes and since the fender was already denim black I did not have to spend the money for paint.

Eventually I want to black everything out except maybe the springs and shock on the front end. I had the front fender light pc'd black along with all my other lamps.

Good choice on the Deluxe seat. I got that for two up duties. I will run it with the touring pillion that matches. I rode it a while and really like it for the most part but I thought it was a bit wide at the thighs which takes away from the fact that it is about an inch lower than my 1925 seat. Maybe I will have it altered a bit down the line.

What I want to do for the lamps is have two plugs, one on either side of the tank just behind the neck that will support the passing lamps and signals. I have a good idea how I want it to work but need to get the plugs to make it.

I too would like to relocate my coil and scrap the seat post. You will have to share with me how you do yours.

Good luck with everything. I look forward to seeing your bike come together.
im hoping to have it together in aweek or so
the coil was to easy ill send you some picks and details
i read somewhere here the coil was to big for the cowbell well its close but it works so no need to swap to smaller one

Old 12-11-2010 | 03:23 AM
WarBootie
Tourer

Brothers, Can you shoot me some part number for the pillion with the back rest. I have the solo seat with a dove tail rack currently on, but the mRS preassure is builing.

I didn't see an food pegs on the picture, but then again, ive been drinking since 0430... help is appreciate.

Old 12-11-2010 | 05:02 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master
Default progess pics

progess pics
tombstone arrived and i mocked the rear fender for the last time before paint
i also installed the windshield mount and re-assembled the headlight and spots

Old 12-12-2010 | 01:03 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by thealaskan
Not sure why you didn't buy a Fat Boy to start with and put a Springer front end on it.
Can't believe this actually has to be answered.

Changing a Crossbones to more of a Springer Classic (what is being done on this thread and several others):

Switch out front and rear fenders. Cost of fenders and parts: $700 to $1000 depending on how much work you put into the fenders.

Optional: Changing the seat and handlebars: $200 to $500 depending on what you want.

Changing a Fatboy to a Springer (Genuine Harley and not some cheapo aftermarket job):

Cost of Springer front end (Stock on Crossbones): $1500 to $3000

Still need to replace front fender: $200 to $500

Change to sprung seat (Stock on Crossbones): $300 to $600

Change the ugly Fatboy console to cateye console (Stock on Crossbones): $300 to $450

Change to halfmoon floorboards (Stock on Crossbones): $150

Change to low profile rear suspensionv (Stock on Crossbones): $300

Ditch all the gawdy chrome off a Fatboy engine: $670

Switch out handlebars: $Vaires

Switch out ugly Fatboy wheels for black spoked wheels (Stock on Crossbones): Not sure but has to be at least $500

Then there are details that don't necessarily need to be changed could such are the different rubber on the Bones (which from what I have seen on the forums tends to wear better than what comes on a Fatboy). There is also the exhaust to consider...which I think the stock Bones exhaust is better looking than the Fatboy's so it would be a definate "must go" for me.

I'm sure there is something that I missed and the above does not include any labor for things that one might not be comfortable doing themselves (I don't know that I would want to tackle an entire front end install).

I am guessing maybe that the question comes from all the talk on these threads of the "Fatboy rear fender" and I think that the assumption is made that these mods have something to do with wanting a "Fatboy" look. I think I can say that this is the farthest thing from the truth and the main reason that a Fatboy comes into play is that it is the only stock Harley whose full length fender will fit a Crossbones with the 200mm rear tire. Beyond that, this mod has little to nothing to do with a Fatboy.

Anyway...I never thought that these projects would really be so difficult to comprehend, especially with the level of details that most authors have been putting into them. I am guessing that the intention of the question was to make those of us making these conversions feel dumb by someone who "knows better" but sorry to say that you missed wide into left field! How pointless is it to mention how you don't worry about losing, giving away or selling stuff cheap? "For what it's worth..." you say? It is worthless if nothing more than bragging to the rest of us who like to be reasonable with our projects.

Old 12-12-2010 | 02:13 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

well put skeeze you hit the nail on the head for sure.im not a fan of the fatboy but sure do like the heritage springers which is what im looking for in this mod..although im still looking for the old panhead look sorta thats why the xbones is perfect as it has none not to mention the catseye dash it comes with looks awesome..post war everything was painted with very little chrome even case covers were painted..
my project has been done on a budget not that i dont have money but wanted to show you can mod your bike without taking a second mortgage to do it..my entire swap will be done for under 1500.00 painted and the last time i did the math it was a 3500.00-4500.00 upgrade at the dealer including labor and paint..as i stated before my bike was purchased new for same price as a dyna so ive upgraded my bike to a heritage or classic springer for under the price of any softail on the floor.

Last edited by colonelangus1; 12-12-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2010 | 04:57 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Can't believe this actually has to be answered.

Changing a Crossbones to more of a Springer Classic (what is being done on this thread and several others):

Switch out front and rear fenders. Cost of fenders and parts: $700 to $1000 depending on how much work you put into the fenders.

Optional: Changing the seat and handlebars: $200 to $500 depending on what you want.

Changing a Fatboy to a Springer (Genuine Harley and not some cheapo aftermarket job):

Cost of Springer front end (Stock on Crossbones): $1500 to $3000

Still need to replace front fender: $200 to $500

Change to sprung seat (Stock on Crossbones): $300 to $600

Change the ugly Fatboy console to cateye console (Stock on Crossbones): $300 to $450

Change to halfmoon floorboards (Stock on Crossbones): $150

Change to low profile rear suspensionv (Stock on Crossbones): $300

Ditch all the gawdy chrome off a Fatboy engine: $670

Switch out handlebars: $Vaires

Switch out ugly Fatboy wheels for black spoked wheels (Stock on Crossbones): Not sure but has to be at least $500

Then there are details that don't necessarily need to be changed could such are the different rubber on the Bones (which from what I have seen on the forums tends to wear better than what comes on a Fatboy). There is also the exhaust to consider...which I think the stock Bones exhaust is better looking than the Fatboy's so it would be a definate "must go" for me.

I'm sure there is something that I missed and the above does not include any labor for things that one might not be comfortable doing themselves (I don't know that I would want to tackle an entire front end install).

I am guessing maybe that the question comes from all the talk on these threads of the "Fatboy rear fender" and I think that the assumption is made that these mods have something to do with wanting a "Fatboy" look. I think I can say that this is the farthest thing from the truth and the main reason that a Fatboy comes into play is that it is the only stock Harley whose full length fender will fit a Crossbones with the 200mm rear tire. Beyond that, this mod has little to nothing to do with a Fatboy.

Anyway...I never thought that these projects would really be so difficult to comprehend, especially with the level of details that most authors have been putting into them. I am guessing that the intention of the question was to make those of us making these conversions feel dumb by someone who "knows better" but sorry to say that you missed wide into left field! How pointless is it to mention how you don't worry about losing, giving away or selling stuff cheap? "For what it's worth..." you say? It is worthless if nothing more than bragging to the rest of us who like to be reasonable with our projects.

Old 12-13-2010 | 11:41 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master
Default almost there

well i dropped off the rear fender today now they can paint all 3 tins should have them back wednesday ..woo hoo cant wait getting close
although if i was smart id wait a few weeks for the paint to cure/harden before assembling lol ya right as if ..well ill do my best to hold off untill the new year before i start.still have some wiring to do and i have to powder coat the horn and coil relocation brackets i made.ill probably fire up the oven tomorrow and get them done along with anything else i can think of

Old 12-14-2010 | 03:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member

congrats on ur ride.

Old 12-14-2010 | 05:39 PM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

I dig the springer front end. Looks better on some bike but still cool.

Old 12-14-2010 | 06:23 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

coil relocation

horn relocation
ok now the plug wires will cross and that looks gay so the plug you see abouve needs to have the 2 pins for front and back coil switched around its easy the manual tells in detail how to remove them all it takes is a straight pin and some patience. it took me 5 min max to do this but ive pulled lots apart for my current make over .also the 2 spacers could be 1 but i had these and used them. i originally used to nuts to back each side so it would bend or colapse when tightening up the center bolt that fastens the unit to the chrome bracket.i powder coated mine black because i can they were polished aluminiun

under right side of oil tank is enough room for the horn and there is a bolt hole just waiting to be used ..in last pic notice the allen head bolt near the bottom..

Last edited by colonelangus1; 12-18-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: crossbones