Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crossbones

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010 | 09:37 AM
RevMatt
Advanced
Cool Stock seat vs Brawler

The silver tape and "Brawler" seat were originally on the bike. I prefer the stock solo seat. The Brawler is nice "around town" but beats me up if driving for over an hour. The silver tape was put on too loosely and without protective spray. The area near my right boot starting breaking and peeling off after 1000 miles. And, yes, I love 'Vettes!

Attached Thumbnails crossbones-5-07and7-10-028.jpg   crossbones-5-07and7-10-047.jpg  
Old 12-09-2010 | 09:45 AM
RevMatt
Advanced

Has anyone here used the "old style" horn on the front of the Bones? I'm thinking about adding one. The signals are relocated, the headlight is relocated, it has black straight through slip-on mufflers, a passenger pillion with detachable sissy-bar (in storage,)tribal passenger foot-pegs, and permanently affixed leather saddle-bags. I am considering a solo rack in place of the passenger pillion. I am also considering an oil cooler, K & N kit with a dyno "race-tune" or Thundermax. Any feedback?

Old 12-10-2010 | 12:43 AM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master
Default rear wiring harness makeover

well in order to use a tombstone on the fatboy fender the wiring harness needed to be modified so i went to my dealer and used their crimper..
pics1&2 show the harness with pins removed from connector housing
the brown and violet had to be changed to male pins
pic3 shows the connector used for taillight its the same as the headlight to main harness connector
pic4 shows rear harness completed..the 2 small connectors are the signals and the larger one is for the taillight
pic5 is the front fender light accessory power and negative that will be added to the headlight harness
pic6 completed lead with connector housing attached
pic7 front fender light lead attached to headlight wiring harness connector

Old 12-10-2010 | 09:39 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by colonelangus1
sweet thats different i was thinking of the springer classic bullet chrome light and putting the signals back up on the bars until i can get them mounted to the bottom of the passing lamps..maybe ill just pc them .i have a columbia coatings pc unit im tired of paying big bucks
Since this photo was taken I have switched the stock headlight to that off of a Springer Classic that I had PC'd black as well. I totally scored on it. I bought the complete light minus the lamp off eBay for $10. Powder coating it was another $20 or $30 (I don't remember exactly since I do several parts at once) and then I just fitted my stock lamp in to. You would need to either get the Springer classic mounting block to mount it (the Bones one is too narrow) or do like I did and get two chrome spacers from ACE. I also bought (for $15 on eBay) a pair of heritage style turn signals that mount to the light bar and had those PC'd and put smoked lenses on them. I still have not mounted those because I am trying to device a system that will allow me to plug and unplug the wiring for both the passing lamps and the turn signals easily so that I can remove the lamps quickly for things such as detailing or doing my neck bearing adjustments.

Old 12-10-2010 | 01:10 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain

Not sure why you didn't buy a Fat Boy to start with and put a Springer front end on it.

Old 12-10-2010 | 01:58 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by thealaskan
Not sure why you didn't buy a Fat Boy to start with and put a Springer front end on it.
do the math its a no brainer besides to much chrome on a fatboy im not a chromasexual

Last edited by colonelangus1; 12-10-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2010 | 02:02 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Since this photo was taken I have switched the stock headlight to that off of a Springer Classic that I had PC'd black as well. I totally scored on it. I bought the complete light minus the lamp off eBay for $10. Powder coating it was another $20 or $30 (I don't remember exactly since I do several parts at once) and then I just fitted my stock lamp in to. You would need to either get the Springer classic mounting block to mount it (the Bones one is too narrow) or do like I did and get two chrome spacers from ACE. I also bought (for $15 on eBay) a pair of heritage style turn signals that mount to the light bar and had those PC'd and put smoked lenses on them. I still have not mounted those because I am trying to device a system that will allow me to plug and unplug the wiring for both the passing lamps and the turn signals easily so that I can remove the lamps quickly for things such as detailing or doing my neck bearing adjustments.
hey skeeze been awhile well heres where im at now
i have the springer classic/softail custom/sportster custom headlight i say that because they all use the same bucket,and yes i ordered the wider mounting block for the headlight..i also have the spots and with the front fender light chrome ive decided to leave the headlight and spots chrome as well along with the tombstone taillight to even it out some..ill be mocking up the rear fender one more time to make sure my new harness fits where it supose to lol and the tombstone is level then its off to the painter to have all the tins done..they will be gloss black with blue pearl..as for the plug n play part look at the above pics i used stock harley amp multilock connectors and pins for the rear signals ,taillight,spots and fender light..

Last edited by colonelangus1; 12-10-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2010 | 08:41 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain

do the math its a no brainer besides to much chrome on a fatboy im not a chromasexual
I did the math, and included the labor, that's why I asked.

For what's it worth, I've lost, given away, thrown away or sold cheap half the bolt on **** I've bought for my bikes over the years.

Hope your's turns out like you want it.

Old 12-10-2010 | 11:29 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by thealaskan
I did the math, and included the labor, that's why I asked.

For what's it worth, I've lost, given away, thrown away or sold cheap half the bolt on **** I've bought for my bikes over the years.

Hope your's turns out like you want it.
likewise this isnt my first bike either

a new fatboy here is 21,000.00 my xbones springer was 15,900.00 in may of this year. a springer alone is minimum 3,000.00 for the look i want you would have to black it out not cheap plus do same mods on fatboy fender and then labor sorry so your math is flawed as it relates to me and what things cost here as opposed to where you live
so spending a grand 1500.00 on parts and paint is way cheaper period

a member on this forum did pretty much the same fender swap in the states and he helped me with part numbers by sending his bill with all the part numbers and prices including labor so i think i did enough home work to know that im doing
a nd skeeze gave me detailed info such as p/n's for the rear fender swap ive done all the work myself so no labor costs to drive up the final total

Last edited by colonelangus1; 12-10-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2010 | 11:32 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

hey skeeze been awhile well heres where im at now
i have the springer classic/softail custom/sportster custom headlight i say that because they all use the same bucket,and yes i ordered the wider mounting block for the headlight..i also have the spots and with the front fender light chrome ive decided to leave the headlight and spots chrome as well along with the tombstone taillight to even it out some..ill be mocking up the rear fender one more time to make sure my new harness fits where it supose to lol and the tombstone is level then its off to the painter to have all the tins done..they will be gloss black with blue pearl..as for the plug n play part look at the above pics i used stock harley amp multilock connectors and pins for the rear signals ,taillight,spots and fender light..
Right on! Yeah I have been away for a while. I got laid off back in July and thought I might have to sell my Bones what with having a 1 year old baby hanging about and another one on the way in January. It only took me three weeks to pick up work. It is contract and I am making more money than I was before but it is a temp job due to end in March. Anyway. My own project has slowed down dramatically. The sad thing is that I just need a few things to bring it all together but I want to wait till this spring to know exactly what I will be facing financially.

I like that you had the rear fender shaved. I thought about doing that myself but the light system that I will eventually implement can use the stock holes and since the fender was already denim black I did not have to spend the money for paint.

Eventually I want to black everything out except maybe the springs and shock on the front end. I had the front fender light pc'd black along with all my other lamps.

Good choice on the Deluxe seat. I got that for two up duties. I will run it with the touring pillion that matches. I rode it a while and really like it for the most part but I thought it was a bit wide at the thighs which takes away from the fact that it is about an inch lower than my 1925 seat. Maybe I will have it altered a bit down the line.

What I want to do for the lamps is have two plugs, one on either side of the tank just behind the neck that will support the passing lamps and signals. I have a good idea how I want it to work but need to get the plugs to make it.

I too would like to relocate my coil and scrap the seat post. You will have to share with me how you do yours.

Good luck with everything. I look forward to seeing your bike come together.

Quick Reply: crossbones