Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crossbones

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011 | 02:33 AM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

went to my dealers annual garage sale this is what i picked up for $80.00 NIB retailed here for $555.95

Last edited by colonelangus1; 12-18-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2012 | 01:56 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by colonelangus1
i managed to remove the floorboard but decided to drop the floorboard away to ensure i didnt mark up the new cover..i picked up the matching covers todaynow i need some gaskets and chrome bolts guess ill wait untill its time for an oil change
finally found time to start installing these covers had to drop the right floorboard and disconnect the o2 sensors before i could remove the exhaust then pull cam cover what a mess the dealer said i could do it without draining the oil..sure if your a quart low..drained the transmission. swapped out the ramp and ball bearings into the new clutch release cover and re-installed cam and clutch release covers now its time to clean it up before installing the exhaust .not sure if ill get to the tranny top cover oil bucket has to come out to change it what a pain in the a$$.ill post pics when finished the cam/clutch release covers

Last edited by colonelangus1; 02-23-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2012 | 02:20 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Concerning your Supertrapp exhaust: How flush were you able to get the exhaust flanges to tighten against the cylinder heads? I started installing my Supertrapp 2:1 this past weekend. When I started to tighten the flange nuts they tightened up before the exhaust flanges flushed up against the cylinders they way they were with the stock pipes. I made sure that each nut was evenly tightened and I torqued them down to the recommended specs. I mocked up the rest of the exhaust in order to fire up the bike for a few seconds to see if the exhaust would leak at the ports. From the short burst that I ran the bike it seemed okay and the exhaust flow coming out of the muffler felt pretty strong so I am hoping that there is a good seal at the ports.

I also ran into an issue where one of the mounting bolts for the muffler does not line up. Can't figure this one out either and it adds to my concern on whether or not the headers are properly installed. I could remedy this easily by opening up the hole in the muffler's mounting tab a little more so that it lines up with the bracket's hole but I would like to get it to line up naturally if I can before I go that rout.

I know that the exhaust that we are using are not quite the same but I figured they should be close since they are both Supertrapp and both 2:1.

I really like the way the exhaust looks on my bike. Not real crazy about the design of the fishtail but it still looks good. I may try to get a different tip. Something that has more of that cocktail shaker look of some of the older bikes. If this exhaust ends up not fitting right once it's all said and done I will fall back to my alternate (which was once my initial plan) of going with the V & H Tru Duals with fishtails that I have in my garage.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 02-23-2012 | 05:33 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

i had alignment issues as well use new exhaust donuts/gaskets and be patient i had to space the mount to the bike 1 washer towards the front 2 on the rear bots so it would be mounted without any stress on the exhaust flange bolts as you stated as it lies naturally.in the long run the extra time it takes is worth it ..i have mine off right now and for me the biggest problem is getting both flanges in place while trying to get the other end lined up ..need 4 eyes and 3 hands lol

Old 02-23-2012 | 05:53 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Yes, getting both flanges aligned was a bit of a hassle. I did use new gaskets. Once I get back to it this weekend I am going to give everything one more adjustment. If at that point the muffler tab still doesn't mount up to the bracket I will open the hole a little more. It is a minor adjustment of about 1/8 inch so it shouldn't be too bad. I will post pics when I am done.

Also, I asked you before but never got an answer: Are you running any upgraded air cleaner and/or fuel management system? I have a Stage 1 air cleaner kit and a V&H Fuel Pack that I planned on using with the V&H True Duals. I contacted V&H and they provided a map that I could use with the Supertrapp so hopefully I will be able to do those upgrades as well.

Old 02-24-2012 | 01:01 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

i have stage 1 aircleaner with k&n filter stage 1 download from dealer before the supertrapp was installed i had the bike dyno'd at 74hp/88tq i know the numbers have changed the bike has more power through all rpm ranges..

Old 02-24-2012 | 03:42 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

I love that speed/tach combo! Great find! The analog guages looks so much better than some of the digital aftermarket stuff. Does it have a clock in the mileage screen like the original?

Old 02-24-2012 | 05:22 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

hey Skeeze
got mine back together last night im getting good at this had so many exhausts on and off this bike 2nd time for this one hope your goes as good

hey Nighttrain
no clock which i never set anyway dont want time to be a factor when riding
smacks of the MAN trying to control my destiny eh!..lol

Old 02-25-2012 | 12:35 PM
Raiderse
Cruiser

Power to the Bones! I love mine!

Old 02-26-2012 | 04:04 PM
colonelangus1
|
Road Master

well i got them installed finally