Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me pull the trigger on some apes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default help me pull the trigger on some apes

I have been searching threads on apes for awhile now and everyone seems to love them i have never had trouble before on spending money on a mod for my bikes.the problem i am having is i am pretty comfortable with the stock bars but really want apes for the look as much as comfort.just don't want to make the wrong descesion it is allot of money.so what do ya think i should do ?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
SmokinApes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 24 and have a softail w/ 18" apes 2" risers.. personally i think its the most comfy bike ive owned ( had drag bars and mini-apes prior) but if you want my honest opinion stick with your stocks if they are comfy for you.. if looks is more your concern then go that route then get the bars.. just don't be another one on here that spends the money and bitches and moans on here cause your arms hurt lol just my 2 cents.. maybe go with a 13.5 mini apes who knows.. good luck

Old 05-24-2010, 01:32 PM
CSRflstc
Tourer

DO IT!!!!

Apes made a Huge improvement in my bikes comfort and looks. I love 'em!

I went with 16's. How tall are you? I have mine pushed forward, vertical. My bro-in-law is 5'10".... there a little bit of a stretch for him. But with them pulled back a little (in-line with the forks) they fit good.

I'm 6'5", with long monkey arms. 16's are comfortable, I wouldn't mind just a bit higher though. I'm looking at aftermarket 3" risers to gain another inch. I think the '10 FLSTC has factory 3" risers? Would love to find a set of those.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:53 PM
NA7A
Tourer

Like the others have said, I think comfort has to be number one before anything else is added….that being said, you need to try someone else’s bike with apes if they will let you or at least sit on another bike with them and get the feel. I just had 13” apes added to 4” risers (making them 15” overall from the factory height stock bar) on my new FBL and with the floor boards and back-rest solo seat this has to be one of the most comfortable rides in all my years of riding. I love my black apes and how they feel, they give me a little “kick-back” ride that is very relaxing including the one-arm hold. One last thing I’m waiting for is my “half” mustache bar so I can kick my feet up off the floor boards on longer rides. After that, I will be ready to take naps while riding…just kidding.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:03 PM
07Fatty
Tourer

BANG there I pulled the trigger for you depending on your height get 14 16 0r 18 chubbies they look sweet

Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well i was thinking 12.5 with 1.5 risers I AM only 5'6" 14's may be a bit big with the risers.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:57 PM
07Fatty
Tourer

no 14 is fine Im 5-9 and should have gone 16 see sig pic

Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by utz
Well i was thinking 12.5 with 1.5 risers I AM only 5'6" 14's may be a bit big with the risers.
I think your on the right track here...

Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, I ahve always run 16" apes and love them. I am 5'9". My new apes which are 16"'s are a bit taller due to the cut of the bar compared to my wild 1's. I am still just as comfy. I never realized that when I got apes they would actually be comfortable. You need to go somewhere with a lot of bikes and sit on a few before you pull the trigger to see what is comfortable for you. Maybe the dealership service area, or a local biker hang out. Just ask if you can sit on people's bikes as you wnat apes but want to determine what height to get.

When I bought my bike it had 12.5" apes on it as I bought it used. i was getting inked at my buddies shop and he has 18"'s. I asked If I could ride his bike and immediately decided I need taller bars. I'd say to get taller rather than shorter as you can always use the same cables with shorter bars, but not with taller bars. If they turn out too tall, sell them on here and order a shorter set. As always, I can get you guys what you need.

Drew

Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

The Doctor speaks the truth!! I went from drag bars on 4" risers to 14" Carlini Fly'in Apes on 1.5" Calini risers... You'll never see me going any shorter!! My back appreciates it, the bike looks WAY better and when you talk to the Doctor... Your prescription is filled "post haste" and for a very good price!!!

Quick Reply: help me pull the trigger on some apes