Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Mustang Wide Vintage Solo Seat #75096
68.75%
Mustang Vintage Solo #75086
31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Mustang Vintage Solo or Wide Vintage Solo??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:35 PM
DMSC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mustang Vintage Solo or Wide Vintage Solo??

I think it does sit you a smidge higher due to the fact that the softail seat is angled. The Mustang seat has a more defined spot where you sit and it's farther forward than where most folks have become used to sitting on the factory seat. As you move forward on the seat, you will, of course, be sitting higher. This would be true of any seat where you sit farther forward.

Add in the fact that the Mustang seat has firmer foam than the stock seat and you will be sitting a bit higher.

Having said all that, I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I lowered my scoot 3/4" by installing the H-D profile low shocks. I don't have any trouble planting both feet on the ground with the Mustang wide solo.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I noticed is my lepera actually sits more forward than stock but since it's so thin, it's about the same height or maybe a little lower.. So I'm hoping the mustang is comparable, though I'm sure it will be higher.. On the 2nd or third fuel-up on a long long ride, I'll bet I really won't give a darn because the butt won't be barkin' at me. hehe I hope.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:17 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

One thing I notice about the stock Deluxe seat, is that it is fairly wide in the front and has a little to much padding on the thigh area actually making my legs a bit sore after a while. I sat on Softail2005's Deluxe with a sundowner on it and it was considerably thinner in the front part of the seat, in tern making it easier on the thighs and placed my feet even more flat on the ground. Can you order a Mustang with just conchos on it? From what I gather off their website you can only order the plain and then have to add the conchos yourself. Not real up on the idea of butchering a new seat myself.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JonnyD

Can you order a Mustang with just conchos on it? From what I gather off their website you can only order the plain and then have to add the conchos yourself. Not real up on the idea of butchering a new seat myself.
I don't think so.. I think for these solo style seats, it's either Vintage (plain) or Studded. Judging by the picture on the other deluxe, I like the looks of the plain seat on the deluxe myself.. But of course that's all personal taste.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I went the with the plain Boss Bags and added the just the conchos, 3 on each side, for flair. So I thought I'd add just one concho on each side of a Mustang seat. Kinda stupid if you think about it.... completely decorated or plain, and nothing in between. Guess I could attempt to put one on each side or just take it to an upholsterer for safety's sake.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Sure.. I'd think conchos aren't too hard to add. I'd try it plain first and stair at it a lot before I went that route. With tassels and conchos elsewhere, it might not need it.. or you might rather have them.

Still waiting.. ebay dealer.. gotta follow up with him for a tracking#.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Got the new seat yesterday.. yippeeeeee!
Installed it last night but Ernesto's leftovers are killing the riding weather today. [:@]

So first impressions..

Build Quality:
Dang! Finest I've seen yet. What nice material and construction.. Solid! It's 4 times the seat that the stock fatboy seat is.. It's HEAVY! Metal pan construction and rivet mounting. The material (I'm fairly sure it's pleather) feels like it's thick and will outlast the bike itself.. It's a fine and well built seat.

Size and shape:
On the size.. It's a wide solo (and it definitely is WIDE).. I could have gone either way I think on that. I thought, "oh this thing is too wide".. then I sat on it. That bike is ready for as many miles as I can put in a day with.. The most comfy seat I've ever plopped down on. I'm ready to plan a long excursion to break it in. The foam material they use is unlike any other seat I've used.. Firm but soft, someone said.. Like a very well built car or office seat.. No individual pressure point.. ready for long miles.. Actually shaped to a persons butt, rather than to the shape of the bike.

Sitting position:
Was what I expected.. I am actually a little higher than the lepara but further back so I'm not riding the tank, which was my fear.. Sits nice.. Can still see the logo on the front of the seat which is very snazzy. The width does make it a little of a stretch to the ground though, but once you kick up on the pegs/floorboard it's about the same for me. It's like a nice jacket.. feels funny just standing there, but right when you get in riding position. I highly recommend the regular width for shorter legs. Infact, I recommend the regular width for anyone that's wears less than 36" waist jeans or at least 32" inseam. The wide seat is made for a BIG dude with a big ole' **** on him.

Also, since I'm planning on lowering the bike, I'll probably be right about where the lapera was after it's lowered.. except far more comfortable.

Looks on the bike:
So the huge width I think is at the far end of what I'd want but it kinda reminds me of an old Indian Chief.. Kind of retro looking, so I dig it. good looking seat. Will take getting used to the looks compared to the old skinny barhopper.. I'll try to get some good pics up soon. Instead of chopper-ish, it's retro. I dig it.

The rear seat:
I just installed it solo but took a look at the matching rear.. it's HUGE!!! I repeat.. HUGE! My wife took one look and said.. "oh yeah, that'll be comfy for my booty!" It's as wide as a typical rider seat, and probably thicker.. It's a lazy-boy recliner for the fender. And the rear seat alone weighs probably more than the whole stock front and rear seat. Metal pan, like the solo rider. Equal construction.. like a tank.. The passenger should be every bit as comfortable as the rider on this seat.

Overall:
For the dough.. I'm thrilled. I've got the ebay dealer to go to if you need.. pm me.

If I had it to do again.. probably could have gotten the regular width for looks but the wide seat will be incredible on long miles. Can't wait to break it in.
[sm=biker2.gif]

Thanks guys for all the input.. I say you steered me right. Pics coming soon.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:41 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,115 Likes on 5,317 Posts

Most people who have complained about Mustang seats have owned the narrow or sport versions. Those who have gone with the wide version have generally been happy with it.

It's worth keeping in mind that either one will change your relationship to the bars, and you may find, as many have before you, that it helps to change the bars as well. I changed out the stock Heritage Classic bars for Wild1 (Chubby) 518s, which are flatter and have more pullback, and am a very comfy camper.

Also consider the rider backrest. It's a treat on longer rides, and easily removable (you just yank it out; no bolts, as in the Corbin).

Good luck,
Philip

Old 09-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Didn't go with the backrest model but it does look nice.
Yeah I'm going to have to pull back the FLSTC bars a notch I think, until I break down and do the wild1 10" or 12" bars.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:55 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

BABS......after reading your testimonial to your Mustang seat, and being that I am 5'7 about 160, I guess I will go with the regular and not the wide. But which passenger seat were you referring to being so HUGE? Was it the matching wide to your seat? Did you take any pics of yours on the bike yet? I'd like to see a Deluxe with the Mustang regular size seat on it and the mathing regular size passenger. I do want a 2 piece so I can go solo when I want. PM me the Ebay seller that you used, if you would. Thanks, Jon

Quick Reply: Mustang Vintage Solo or Wide Vintage Solo??