Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral light does not always come on

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Neutral light does not always come on

So i got frustrated the other day, been having a hard time finding neutral, at least that's what i first thought as the light was not coming on, so i fiddled around over and over again, all the way up and back down thinking something was jammed, kept feeling the little click but no light, than i said this is crazy feels like its in N, so i slowly let go of the clutch and I was correct, in N but no green light, its happened quite a few times, and sometimes the light does come on, what can it be? Thanks gang for responses!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Moisture and/or corrosion under your on-off switch... take it off... watch out for flying springs... clean it... grease it with electronic grease... reassemble.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:33 AM
DeluxeHog05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did that yesterday. I was at a stop light and thought I was in first. The light turned green and all I did was sit there and rev the engine! LOL I looked down and the neutral light was off? I kicked it down into gear and took off somewhat embarrassed....hehe

Old 05-22-2010, 10:48 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

the safety switch is wet in the clutch lever side. will it start in neutral with the light off and your bike is 07 or newer?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:31 AM
scubadnv
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of possibilities, sticking switch or loose connection. What I would do is the next time it happens I would stop right there and locate the wires which go to the switch on top of the transmission and wiggle and push on them to see if that makes the light come on, if not, then I would wiggle the wires at the indicator light, still nothing?, then try lightly tapping on the neutral switch to see if it is stuck. One of these should diagnose yor problem to the source then the repair will be easy.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:45 PM
handyhoward
Road Master

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Moisture and/or corrosion under your on-off switch... take it off... watch out for flying springs... clean it... grease it with electronic grease... reassemble.
Wiggle your on/off switch... back and forth and up and down...........