Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage shocks ..Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006 | 11:50 PM
jrudicel
|
Road Captain
Default Heritage shocks ..Help please!

Guys..
2006 Heritage FLST/I .... Suspension set up from dealer when new. I am a big guy at 285 and wife is at 105lbs. I took her for a ride the other day and hit a small dip in the road and bike bottomed HARD... So I told her I needed to get the supension adjusted.. Well, havent got it in yet, and havent ordered a tool to do it myself, and guess what? What I thought was going to be a solo ride tomorrow with another guy, has now resulted in her wanting to go. Now, since I am leaving in the morning, is there ANY way I can adjust these in the morning myself with out the Harley wrench? Or am I screwed and will just have to baby it all day worrying it will bottom AGAIN..
Was wondering how hard the shocks turn and whether a strap wrench or something would turn the shocks to adjust them or is the spanner wrench the only way to stiffen the rear up? Any tricks?
Thanks in advance!

Old 08-17-2006 | 01:06 AM
jrudicel
|
Road Captain
Default RE: Heritage shocks ..Help please!

Ok...After posting this earlier, I did some searching and reading and realized that my strap wrench theory was stupid because the "Cans" dont turn necessarily to do the adjusting. Its the adjusting plate(with the holes) that needs cranked out. So...A spanner is the only way to go it looks like.
Looks like 9/16 wrench to hold shaft...1 1/16 to break locknut...and spanner to turn out the adjuster plate to leave less visible threads to stiffen it. Found a good link describing it all here with pics too... http://fatbillscustoms.com/
I wonder if an adjustable spanner or a spanner from a local hardware store would work in a pinch? Anyone know the spread of the holes and diameter so I can try and get lucky at a hardware or tool store in the morning? Of course I dont have a local HD dealer real close for those quickie things....
Thanks!

Old 08-17-2006 | 10:19 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Hard part was finding a wrench that would fit the lock nut. I ended up taking one down on a bench grider. I sort of squared out the head of the wrench so that it fits perfectly, then I cut the wrench in length so that it would fit under the bike on the side stand.
Good luck!

Old 08-17-2006 | 09:21 PM
jrudicel
|
Road Captain

After trying to get a 1 1/16 wrench under there...I gave up and called a small independent bike shop close to me and they adjusted it for me for 25.00 . They had to cut and shorten their wrench as well. I was adjusted all the way soft before I tool it in with like 4-5 threads showing. He gave me 2.5 revolutions of adjustment out. It raised the back up some with noone on it, but with my 285 or so on it, plus the wifes 105....handled bumps and such much better. You can tell its alot stiffer, but better than bouncy and bottoming out!