Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 12:54 PM
supercrewser
|
Road Master
Default Rear tire replacement

I decided to do the wheel removal and install myself rather than paying a shop to do it when its time to replace the rear tire. Never pulled a rear wheel off of a softail before so I guess Im fishing for any hints or how to's from the great wealth of info here on the forum. it looks rather simple really just wondering what any tricks I might need to know before getting started.

Old 05-21-2010 | 02:43 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

Best advice to you is buy yourself a service manual for your bike. It's a great investment and has all the right info you will need to do the job. It will also steer you in the right direction for any other job you might want to do later on. They are available at your local HD dealer.

Old 05-21-2010 | 03:26 PM
rickb
Road Captain

It is really pretty easy I just did mine a month ago for the 1st time. The tire slipped on pretty easy. I used a bottle jack to bust the bead. A few 2x4's to prtect the rim. Used a floor jack to raise the tire back on the bike.

Old 05-21-2010 | 05:53 PM
scubadnv
Cruiser
Wink

I've done it three times so far. Best thing to remember is to use a good jack when doing it and strap the bike down cuz it is going to get front heavy with the rear wheel off. When I jacked up the bike I had already removed the axle with the tire barely touching the ground to release the load on the axle. Had a second set of hands there just to make sure the bike stayed stable. The hardest part is lining up the brake caliper during install, read the manual take your time, don't get frustrated and it will be a cinch. Definitely read the manual first.

Old 05-21-2010 | 06:29 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

I noticed in your avatar you have a Softail Custom. The rear brake caliper is extremely difficult to get off because of the very tight fit between it and the rear wheel. The advice I would suggest is to tape off (use blue masking tape) about half of the rear wheel. This will allow you plenty of tire rotation when muscling that caliper on and off. My caliper to wheel is so tight, that I have to drag the inside lip of the caliper along the wheel to slide it out. I finally just bought a grinder, the next time I take the wheel off, I’m going to take the caliper off and grin some of that inner lip off that drags on the wheel when removing.

Old 05-21-2010 | 11:28 PM
supercrewser
|
Road Master

thanks for the input, I read somewhere that using never seize on the axle bolt was a good idea. and torque specs are a concern and im thinking while its off why not add the chrome sprocket cover too. Dont mean to sound mechanically inept just looking for secrets or hints to be more helpfull.

Old 05-21-2010 | 11:35 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Anti seize on the actual axle. What the last two guys said is true as well. The wheel si really close to the caliper and can be a bitch to get off. I loosen the axle with both wheels on the ground and then pull the axle. After the axle is out and I get the caliper off I jack the bike up to where i can get the wheel out.

Old 05-22-2010 | 03:39 AM
UpCountry
Advanced

Rear axle may be a PITA, factory doesn't use anti-sieze. You should when it goes back on. Mine had to be beat out as did my brother's. Somebody on the forum actually had to hav his rear axle cut. Good luck. Hope it comes off clean.

Old 05-22-2010 | 10:52 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by scubadnv
I've done it three times so far. Best thing to remember is to use a good jack when doing it and strap the bike down cuz it is going to get front heavy with the rear wheel off. When I jacked up the bike I had already removed the axle with the tire barely touching the ground to release the load on the axle. Had a second set of hands there just to make sure the bike stayed stable. The hardest part is lining up the brake caliper during install, read the manual take your time, don't get frustrated and it will be a cinch. Definitely read the manual first.
what he said. it was scary when the rear tire came off and the bike dropped to the front tire. yes strap the bike to a jack and maybe some jack stands under the front frame. i would not try to remove it without a manual in hand

Old 05-22-2010 | 08:45 PM
fattyboyy
Tourer

Last edited by fattyboyy; 05-22-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear tire replacement