Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a Fatboy w/ S&S 124...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Dick Darko
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought a Fatboy w/ S&S 124...

I'm new around here, but I'm not new to forums or to riding. What I am new to is Harley's. This is my first and I can tell I'm going to need some help with the switch from metric. As far as I can tell, here's my grocery list of things the bike needs ASAP.

1. Mirrors - something low profile and black
2. Speedo/tach - it has some high-end LED unit installed now, but apparently it couldn't handle the vibrations from the big twin, so I am looking for mechanical Speedo/Tach options that won't hurt my wallet too much... and I have no idea what I need/want, but I want to install it myself so any help is appreciated.
3. Turn signals - it currently has turn signals built into the license plate frame, but they're not hooked up. Again, any help will be appreciated.

Other than that, she's a cherry. That S&S runs like a champ, no problems so far. Tires, belt, brakes... all good. It has fresh paint too!

Anything else I should be checking out on the bike? I don't even know how to change the oil yet! Oh boy, I've got some reading to do. Thanks for any input ya'll!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Is this actually a Harley or a full custom build? If it is a Harley it is easy to hook up signals. I recommend the alloy art strut mount turn signals. Here is a pic of them.

I recommend the Arlen Ness ovals in black for your mirrors. You can see them in this pic.

For the speedo there are a ton of options and I don't have any good pics. I can get you all these parts at great prices. Email for pricing info.

Drew

Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Dick Darko
Cruiser

thanks for the quick reply Drew! It is a Harley Fatboy, not a custom build. Here's a pic of what's on the back end now:

those ovals are exactly what I want! and I just figured out that the speedo/tach unit that is on it is a Dakota Digital Speedo/Tach Gauge. I don't want another electronic that will just break (plus I would rather spend $500 on something else!), so I am looking for a mechanical unit I can install, but I'm not sure what parts I would need to make that work.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:06 AM
mac0478
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is it like having that many cubes?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Get some different signals, and the signals plugs and they plug in inside the taillight. A very simple fix. For the speedo you can get a harley one and most likely just plug it in. Very simple as well. Wow, 124" that thing must fly! That is a great looking ride too.

Drew

Old 05-21-2010, 01:08 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

124, sweet

Old 05-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

I second the Ness mirrors in black. That would be killer on your bike. Here they are in chrome on my bike. Not a very good pic, but you get the idea.

Shakey

Attached Thumbnails Just bought a Fatboy w/ S&S 124...-bike-004.jpg  
Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Dick Darko
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
I second the Ness mirrors in black. That would be killer on your bike. Here they are in chrome on my bike. Not a very good pic, but you get the idea.

Shakey
yeah, I think that's what I'm going to go with. and thanks for the pic, but I'm too much of a noob to be able to look at pictures yet... two more days and I'll check it out!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Ooops. Here is a link to the Ness mirrors, and the alloy art strut mount signals.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ast_Mirror.jpg

http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/a...nysbike007.jpg

Old 05-21-2010, 08:43 AM
jed1069
Road Master

I would look through the classifieds here for a speedo. If the tach is not a necessity I'm sure you could find a stock hd speedo dirt cheap.

Quick Reply: Just bought a Fatboy w/ S&S 124...