Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" wheel for an 08 softail deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 05:44 AM
wallah
Advanced
Question

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Just depends on what brand wheel ur runnnen. I needed a new spacer on my DNA. Others are sayen its a diect bolt up with other brand wheels.
I just ordered some DNA's as well 21" x 3.5. So I'm assuming it doesn't come with spare 25mm spacers. BLKnCHRME09Deluxe do you recall what size spacers you used to get it all to line up?

Old 05-25-2010 | 01:30 PM
richfactor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
As far as a part number, I like the Ride Wright rims. they make a nice 40 spoke matching rim. PM or EMAIL me for more info. I can get you everything you need for this swap.

Drew
My PM works now, can you resend the info to me? Thanks.

Old 05-25-2010 | 01:53 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

PM sent to richfactor

Old 06-21-2010 | 10:58 AM
rayrayray
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wallah
I just ordered some DNA's as well 21" x 3.5. So I'm assuming it doesn't come with spare 25mm spacers. BLKnCHRME09Deluxe do you recall what size spacers you used to get it all to line up?

Blackchrome_ I to just suffered from the disapointment of my DNA wheel wheel not properly fitting my 08' Deluxe. First problem was wrong size bearing from DNA so I ended up running down the Harley shop to get new ones pressed in cause I want the wheel on the bike..... Installed the wheel everything worked except the wheel wouldn't spin....Anyway, you know the story.....

Could you direct me on where to buy a correct spacer and what size it needs to be, since we have similar bikes.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2010 | 12:51 PM
autobred
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by rayrayray
Blackchrome_ I to just suffered from the disapointment of my DNA wheel wheel not properly fitting my 08' Deluxe. First problem was wrong size bearing from DNA so I ended up running down the Harley shop to get new ones pressed in cause I want the wheel on the bike..... Installed the wheel everything worked except the wheel wouldn't spin....Anyway, you know the story.....

Could you direct me on where to buy a correct spacer and what size it needs to be, since we have similar bikes.

Thanks
Its amazing how inconsistent a company can be with their product
Ive just recently done my DNA rim with the help of BlacknChrome. He personally said he had to get diff. spacers to complete project but didnt have info on sizes. With that I was expecting to do some measuring.
Im fortunate mine was a direct bolton. I have an 08 deluxe also with 3" by 21" rim, specified a 1" bearing while ordering.. thank god they didnt goof that up. I mocked up the fit with stock spacers in expecting to go down dealer to get diff. spacers. Stock ones fit so I bought chrome kit that fit our bike. The only issue I had was the disk rotor was not deadcenter of caliper, more toward inside of caliper. I put a spacer at caliper mount to get it deadcenter. Could this be your problem? I attached pics..

Attached Thumbnails 21" wheel for an 08 softail deluxe-img_0364.jpg   21" wheel for an 08 softail deluxe-img_0365.jpg   21" wheel for an 08 softail deluxe-img_0371.jpg  
Old 06-21-2010 | 03:08 PM
rayrayray
Intermediate

I don't think thats my problem because the rim wouldn't spin with the caliper on or off. I measured the hub width to the original wheel and there is a 5/16 increase. I believe this is my problem, when the axle is torque properly, the wheel will barely spin but when the nut is loose the wheel spins fine. It's puzzling. I agree, these companies that can't service there customesr with own products..... It's sad......

I was hoping someone could tell me where to buy spacers at?

Last edited by rayrayray; 06-21-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2010 | 08:02 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by autobred
Its amazing how inconsistent a company can be with their product
Ive just recently done my DNA rim with the help of BlacknChrome. He personally said he had to get diff. spacers to complete project but didnt have info on sizes. With that I was expecting to do some measuring.
Im fortunate mine was a direct bolton. I have an 08 deluxe also with 3" by 21" rim, specified a 1" bearing while ordering.. thank god they didnt goof that up. I mocked up the fit with stock spacers in expecting to go down dealer to get diff. spacers. Stock ones fit so I bought chrome kit that fit our bike. The only issue I had was the disk rotor was not deadcenter of caliper, more toward inside of caliper. I put a spacer at caliper mount to get it deadcenter. Could this be your problem? I attached pics..
Man your bike is looken sweet.....I actually went through the very same thing and my caliper rubbed against my rotors after about 3 days of riden. Didn't notice it until it was metal on metal. I know what a dumba$$..I then stopped by my local HD dealer and they did the very same thing as you to my bike. "spaced my caliper" so i know this is OK. Later i took my bike to a buddies house and he had a box of spacers and we just used what worked.

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 06-21-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2010 | 08:20 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think thats my problem because the rim wouldn't spin with the caliper on or off. I measured the hub width to the original wheel and there is a 5/16 increase. I believe this is my problem, when the axle is torque properly, the wheel will barely spin but when the nut is loose the wheel spins fine. It's puzzling. I agree, these companies that can't service there customesr with own products..... It's sad......

Are you sure you have the correct bearings in? Are you sure your caliper isn't binding against your rotors? Are you over torqing the wheel bolt on? Man i sudjest you put back on your stock wheel and take your bike up to a bike shop and have that sweet 21" wheel put on correctly. Less headache you know! Or you can do as stated above get chrome spacers and space your caliper. I kind of laughed about the post above because i had my bike done the very same way by a HD DEALER. And it worked nicely! But changed it. Sucks to hear about your misfortunes on bearing fitment. But i had none of these problems when ordering mine though American Classic Motor!

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 06-21-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2010 | 10:39 PM
autobred
|
Advanced

5/16" increase? its amazing you got it back in there together. I had a hell of a time just putting back the stock ones, holding the wheel/spacers up to slide axle in etc.. literally no margin which is probably good. If its an increase in width I would think that it definitely has to be your problem.. by all means Im no expert but that seems a lil excessive since your fork should run straight and true

About the spacers... if youre accurate and confident with your measurement and your rotor is somewhat centered. you can bring your spacers down to dealer or any shop with a lathe to get them cut down. Might get lucky and the mechanic has some in his bins

Last edited by autobred; 06-21-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2010 | 10:12 AM
rayrayray
Intermediate

Figured it out finally...

Attached Thumbnails 21" wheel for an 08 softail deluxe-photo21.jpg  

Quick Reply: 21" wheel for an 08 softail deluxe