Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone with lowering bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010 | 10:45 PM
sliver
|
Tourer
Default Has anyone with lowering bolts???

Got the swingarm to hit the rubber bump stop??? Even when i run the nuts all the way out on the bolt I am still 3/4" away from the bump stop. I wish I could get the damn thing all the way to the stops. You guys have any ideas?

Last edited by sliver; 05-17-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2010 | 11:16 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

Ditch the shocks and go with custom fab struts. If you want to take it down to the stops I am assuming you are going for a rigid look and feel.

Google tells me there are a few people that have done this with a few different methods.

Old 05-18-2010 | 11:22 AM
sliver
|
Tourer

I really want to have the ability to raise the bike for long rides. It only takes 15 minutes right now the make the adjustment. There has to be a reason that they don't make the bolts a 1/2" longer. I just don't know what that reason would be.

Old 05-18-2010 | 02:40 PM
Tartarus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sliver
I really want to have the ability to raise the bike for long rides. It only takes 15 minutes right now the make the adjustment. There has to be a reason that they don't make the bolts a 1/2" longer. I just don't know what that reason would be.
Hey silver not to thread jack but i just notice you have both of the helmets I am considering buying (can't decide orange or green)and was wondering if you could post up some bigger pictures of them
Thanks

Old 05-18-2010 | 06:44 PM
mike06train
Road Captain

You go down that low and you'll feel little bumps right in your kidneys.

Old 05-18-2010 | 07:39 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Originally Posted by sliver
The reason they make the shocks bolts adjustment stop just short of the bump stop is to stop you from doing just that. In their opinion its dangerous, hard on the bike, crushes the rubber bumpstop eventually and causes a metal on metal contact, not to mention your back bone gets the heck beat out of it. Thats why.

Old 05-18-2010 | 08:29 PM
Hotwire
Tourer

Ridged bike NOW = Ridged Back LATER!

Old 05-18-2010 | 08:29 PM
sliver
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
The reason they make the shocks bolts adjustment stop just short of the bump stop is to stop you from doing just that. In their opinion its dangerous, hard on the bike, crushes the rubber bumpstop eventually and causes a metal on metal contact, not to mention your back bone gets the heck beat out of it. Thats why.
That makes sense. That's a bummer. Geuss I'll have to do the airide to get all the way down.

Old 05-18-2010 | 08:41 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member

You can drop it to the stops. Story808 did on his bike. Just keep an eye on the stops. Softails have an adjustable dampner in them. Take them to the lightest position and it'll be on the stops.

Old 05-18-2010 | 08:50 PM
sliver
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tx_Outlaw
You can drop it to the stops. Story808 did on his bike. Just keep an eye on the stops. Softails have an adjustable dampner in them. Take them to the lightest position and it'll be on the stops.
YAAAABOOY. Thanks TX that was the answer I wanted. I thought Story had done something like that. I just keep cloning that guys bike one step at a time.

Last edited by sliver; 05-18-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone with lowering bolts???