Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker down!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Biker down!

I was at the Myrtle Beach Rally this week with my wife and some friends. We were leaving our resort and I told my buddy that I was going up about a block and take a right to cut over to another road. I turned left and went through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and put on my right turn signal. I got over into the right hand lane which was a turning lane and ended at the road I was turning on. I looked in my rear view mirror and my buddy was a good distance back, started slowing down and started leaning to make a right turn and...WHAM! My wife and I were rocketed across the intersection, narrowly missing a stop sign, jumped a ditch and rammed into a dirt bank just before hitting a power tranformer. The back of the bike went into the air from the impact and slammed down throwing us in the ditch. Total distance from impact to were we landed was about 70 feet.
It appears my buddy had goosed his bike while switching lanes and looking back. When he turned around he was on top of us. It was a helluva impact!
We've all got scrapes and bruises. My left knee is in an immobilizer and I'm on crutches. His girlfriend went over the handlebars and face first in the road. All things considered we are extremely blessed our injuries are not worse. My wife says angels carried us because things could have been much worse. Neither speed or alcohol were a factor.

My bike will probably need a complete front end, oil tank, rear fender, exhaust, and several other miscellaneous parts. Not to mention the down time which it looks like I may need due to this knee injury.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:37 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about it, but glad everyone is going to be okay.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, glad to to hear all of you are doing okay. Count your blessings, wish you all the best.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Deuceandahalf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW ! hate to hear that.
What the heck were you doing in Myrtle Beach, didn't they (the city fathers) kill that ralley ? We loved hangin out there for a week four years in a row. Getting away from the northern crappy weather was great, then they passed like 16 laws aimed at the bike event so we haven't been back.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 AM
bear68
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn! I hate to hear about times like this. Hang tough Bro. Injuries heal and Scoots can be repaired. Weren't you thinkin about some changes on that front end anyways? JK I feel ya though. 85 yr old woman did a left turn in front of me last Dec and my Springer was down for 3 months. I wound up with shoulder surgery and have been out of work and goin stir crazy for the last month and a half.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

I am glad your around to tell us how it happened so it can be avoided in the future.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:51 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuceandahalf
WOW ! hate to hear that.
What the heck were you doing in Myrtle Beach, didn't they (the city fathers) kill that ralley ? We loved hangin out there for a week four years in a row. Getting away from the northern crappy weather was great, then they passed like 16 laws aimed at the bike event so we haven't been back.
I had about 6 different people try to tell me the rally was no more...they forgot to tell the 1000's of bikers that showed up. Myrtle Beach City is what passed the ordinances against bikers. Horry County which includes Murrells Inlet, Garden City, North Myrtle Beach and much more openly welcome and encourage bikers to come. The city limits is a relatively small area so we stayed at Murrells Inlet and avoided the city like the plague. None of the biker bars like Suck Bang and Blow or The Broken Spoke are in the city limits. The good resteraunts are at south of the city limits or north of the city limits and the theaters and shows are in North Myrtle. As a matter of fact there is nothing in the city limits I like to go to anyway. I found it very easy to go anywhere I wanted and avoid the city. If we wanted to go to North Myrtle we just went up 17 and jumped on the 31 by-pass this takes you right around the city limits. It was certainly not like the rallies of the past but we had a great time (until the wreck).

Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Triple M
Tourer

My uncle had a similar experience except no one was injured. He was with a group of riders at a stop light when one of the bikes thought the light had changed and accelerated. He came along side my uncle and the force of his speed ripped the left saddlebag off the bike. No one could figure what the guy was thinking and he couldn't explain it either. He did get the opportunity to buy a set of bags though.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:52 PM
rickb
Road Captain

Glad to hear you are all ok. Nice to hear about MB is still going on dispite all the BS. May have to check it out again as I had always had a good time up there.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
harley57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to hear you are okay! you can always fix your bike, I guess it could have been worse. We were at the rally too, what a great time, there were thousands of bikes. Most bikers just stayed out of the city of Myrtle Beach. Murrells Inlet, Surfside Beach and North Myrtle beach was where all the action was. Wonder how the dopes who run the city of Myrtle Beach are going to explain to all the businesses why they lost money? The cities of Murrells Inlet and North Myrtle Beach should send those idiots a thank you note for all the business they forced their way!! We will go back next year and will not spend one dime in the city of Myrtle Beach....we will eat, shop and stay in these other towns...

Quick Reply: Biker down!