Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Fatboy Lo leaning forward too much

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010 | 11:27 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RuMbLeStRiP
Okay just talked to the dealership and am not ready to stomach a 1500-2000 bill to swap to apes... so i'm going to hopefully opt for a cheaper route until i can save up the money.

How much rise/stretch can i put on the bike (new risers) and still keep all of the same cables?

I was looking at the brake line cable and it seems to be screwed into the forks which makes it look tight so if i unscrewed it it would be loose and i could pull it back further. Same with the throttle cables.

Has anyone gone this route? I've read with mid 2000's fatboys people could put a 4.5" up and back riser on the bike with no problems and all with stock cables.

Any pictures and advice would help but i've got to do something in the mean time while i save for the apes.

Thanks!

Rumblestrip
Looks more intimidating than it is to do the job yourself if you have any kind of mech ability.the wires are all color coded..Novel makes a plug and play wire extension kit.Buy a shop manual and do it yourself. depending on the bars and cables you should come in under 700 with good stuff.Several places sell the bars and wiring all ready pulled for under 500 on e-bay.Dealers are ridiculous with prices.

Old 05-15-2010 | 07:27 AM
County98
Tourer

I want some 14" apes on my bike too bud, Night Train drags are starting to wear on me a little.

I plan on doing it myself, but don't want to spend the cash till I'm sure it's for me.

What I did was swap some pegs I had for another members stock Street Bob bars and all his stock cables. I don't have them yet, but I should be able to get the swap done to the 10" bars for the price of powdercoating and some new crush washers.

If you go the way I'm doing it, you could throw on some stock "mini ape's" for $50 or so. I've never done it, but have a manual and some free time so what the hell.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2010 | 10:05 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

try swinging the bars back a little. can get about 3in closer and cost nothing

Old 05-17-2010 | 08:52 AM
RuMbLeStRiP
|
Advanced

I had them swing the bars back when i bought it but it's still not enough to be comfortable. I'm going to try the 6" pullback risers and see how that goes. Worst case i'll have to get an extention for the wiring. The cables all look like there will be enough play in them. That should get it plenty comfortable until i decide to buy all the parts and put the apes on it.

I didn't know that there was a plug and play wire made for it. That's helpful, i thought i was going to have to cut/splice/and solder all those wires to extend them! that would have sucked!

I'm going to have to get a manual, and i'm guessing the manual that ya'll are talking about isn't the one that came with the bike?

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010 | 10:12 AM
County98
Tourer

The service manual, not the owners manual. They didn't throw mine in, but was the best $50 ($75?) bucks I've spent on my bike.

Make sure to post some pics and let us know what you come up with!

Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 05-17-2010 | 10:20 AM
chrisr99
Advanced

I'm having the Street slammers put on this week and I have talked to 3 ppl in this forum about the process.

Looks like the only cable you have to change is the Brake cable going with the street slammers. They have integrated 7" risers.

I'm doing the clutch and T/I also just because I want to go with the diamondblack.

Should have some pictures by the end of the week or early next week. Putting the street slammers on and the black lower forks. Should finish my major mods.

Old 05-17-2010 | 10:58 AM
RuMbLeStRiP
|
Advanced

When i was looking at the cable lengths and so on, the front brake cable screws into the back of the front forks. I was thinking if you unscrewed that, then you should have enough play in the cable to be able to do it without replacing it. When you go to put everything on, woudl it be too much to ask for you to check and see if that will work without swapping out the cable? If it ended up working it could save you 50$ or so too... I don't want to order a new cable and go through the process if i don't have to. I am checking out the street slammers though, they seem pretty nice.