Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riser problem with Burly narrow apes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:25 AM
RedBen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riser problem with Burly narrow apes?

My wife bought be 14 inch Burly apes for my birthday. I also got 2 inch smooth top risers from Joker Machine. I'm working on getting it all installed and when tightening down the tops of each riser over the bars, I'm ending up with about 1/16 inch gap between the top clamp and the bottom. Anybody else have a similar problem with Burly apes? My only other thought is that the risers are slightly too wide for the narrow bottom apes and are hitting where the bars start to curve up and so won't tighten down all the way. I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:57 AM
County98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at work, so cant go check my manual but I'm pretty sure that there is supposed to be a SMALL gap if you evenly torque your riser clamp.

I'd have to go look, but I think there's a small gap on both my HD's.

I always assumed that if the riser clamp was bolting completely flush on all mating surfaces that you'd be torquing the clamp into the risers and not putting the torque on holding the bars.

The pro's will chime in, but if not I'll check the manual when I get home. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

I was thinking about going with these as well. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

You should have a gap.... It means it tightened up over the bar and not bottomed out on the risers.... No gap means the bars aren't tight...

Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 AM
RedBen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by County98
I'm at work, so cant go check my manual but I'm pretty sure that there is supposed to be a SMALL gap if you evenly torque your riser clamp.

I'd have to go look, but I think there's a small gap on both my HD's.

I always assumed that if the riser clamp was bolting completely flush on all mating surfaces that you'd be torquing the clamp into the risers and not putting the torque on holding the bars.

The pro's will chime in, but if not I'll check the manual when I get home. Good luck!
That makes sense. I hadn't thought of that. That makes me feel better. The service manual for a 2003 softail leaves something to be desired here, as in almost no mention of installing risers except on a springer.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM
RedBen
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking I'd have to send the risers back all night.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
HarleyCanada
Tourer

Little "even on both sides" gap required. Like they said, no space and the bars are not tight!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:52 PM
bushmaster1115
Novice

16" Burly narrow apes with HD riser & clamp on a wideglide front. Bike is 06 FXST standard. The fit is perfect. It is narrow enough for my shed door

Attached Thumbnails Riser problem with Burly narrow apes?-100_1434.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

What diameter bars and what diameter risers...have to ask, I'm sure you cover that base but you just never know and did they send the correct part #'s cause it sure sounds like the bars and the risers are not same size. All risers will have a small gap tightened down. After re-reading sound like a bar prob. Bars too narrow made for another application? Knurling would be the tell tale if they are knurled.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 04-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can tighten the front clamp bolts first to hide it, but then you'll have it in the rear.
I loosely tighten the rear first then tighten the front bolts.

Small gap in the front and it is totally normal.
The Carlini risers and BR's aggressive knurling didn't really need the hidden set screw in the risers, but it's a nice feature anyway.

Quick Reply: Riser problem with Burly narrow apes?