Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick New Garage Door Opener Switch (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 AM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done this mod. using the Harley trip button located on the right side of the dash. One suggestion for those thinking of this, make sure that you orient your opener so that it will actually open the door when you arrive. What I mean is that I realized mine only seems to work when I arrive back to my house. When I go to leave I can't get it to work at all but once I return and the house is on my left it works fine. Hopefully this makes sense, I've now need to get out there and take off the dash again and turn my remote so it's pointing forward.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK mine is done. It took less than an hour and works flawlessly.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Bobert
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you NightTrain4Al - Great Idea!

What a great idea! I struggle to get at my clicker in my pocket...which has invevitably flipped over and I need to downshift while trying to push the button. Saw your pics and tried it today. IT WORKED PERFECTLY. The only difference is that I chose to put both buttons on the 'down' side. I have posted 8 pics to show the process from start to finish. Seems I can only upload 5. So if anyone wants to see more (or close ups), I am happy to post them. Very simple and quick. Even made a jig to help with drilling the hole as I did not want to screw up a $103 chrome part. The switch cost $11 from the Harley dealership and the rubber cap was about $3. Lowes and Home Depot sell the clicker for $32. All in all a pretty inexpensive and high quality solution.

Trick New Garage Door Opener Switch (PICS)-hd-forum-gd_a.jpg

Trick New Garage Door Opener Switch (PICS)-hd-forum-gd_b.jpg

Trick New Garage Door Opener Switch (PICS)-hd-forum-gd_c.jpg

Trick New Garage Door Opener Switch (PICS)-hd-forum-gd_d.jpg

Trick New Garage Door Opener Switch (PICS)-hd-forum-gd_e.jpg

Last edited by Bobert; 06-14-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Fixed the pics
Old 06-13-2010, 08:32 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobert
What a great idea! I struggle to get at my clicker in my pocket...which has invevitably flipped over and I need to downshift while trying to push the button. Saw your pics and tried it today. IT WORKED PERFECTLY. The only difference is that I chose to put both buttons on the 'down' side. I have posted 8 pics to show the process from start to finish. Seems I can only upload 5. So if anyone wants to see more (or close ups), I am happy to post them. Very simple and quick. Even made a jig to help with drilling the hole as I did not want to screw up a $103 chrome part. The switch cost $11 from the Harley dealership and the rubber cap was about $3. Lowes and Home Depot sell the clicker for $32. All in all a pretty inexpensive and high quality solution.

Attachment 122528

Attachment 122529

Attachment 122530

Attachment 122531

Attachment 122532
yes, the left handed is easier to keep the other hand on the gas and brake

Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM
fattboy1967
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

great idea....did everything...wired correctly ...craftsman remote...set up works great...put the whole smash under my dash on my fatboy..push button in garage up down perfect...get outside..comes down...wont friggin open...new battery still wont open....to much interference? ...might taker out ...any ideas?...

Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it wont open when your just outside the door then you lost a wire or the battery. i left mine inside the case it comes with and removed the key ring and ran the wire out from there. I used a small coax cable for my wire. the console still lets me get about 75 ft from the door. mine is located at the front of the console where the rest of the wires come out.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 AM
fattboy1967
Tourer

tk...sorry, theres was no wire when i poped it open,,,,like an antenna? if so where do i run one from...thanks for ur help

Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Bobert
2nd Gear

FB - Check out the pics I put under my post (just fixed them). The remote is stuffed in the console wedged between wire harnesses. No external wires or antenna. It works from about 120' away. I would guess that one of the soldered wires may have come loose. I used the plastic garage door opener to anchor the wires in place so that there is no stress on the soldered connections.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
fattboy1967
Tourer

ok pulled out set up...in my hand same set up as bobert second pic....took it out side ...garage up and down.....put in dash....down and no up....got the craftsman keyring remote jobbie

Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Bobert
2nd Gear

Stumped. Anything physical like a loose or broken wire should mean it all works or it all does not work. But down and no up sounds like a programming problem like mixing an older dip switch opener with a rolling code (or security +) clicker. I know Chamberlain makes a universal remote ($35 at Lowes) that has both dip switches and security plus. I think I read that it can handle craftsman. Admittedly, I am totally guessing on this one. I just can't imagine anything else that would allow it to work in only one direction other than security...since it closes but does not open.

Quick Reply: Trick New Garage Door Opener Switch (PICS)