Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much for 2009 Softail Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM
HAP76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for 2009 Softail Custom?

Found a dealer that still has a 2009 Softail Custom on the showroom floor. MSRP is $17,344 for the '09. 2010 is only $30 more and 2011 models just a few months away. Salesman offered to knock $500 off for the 2009, but I think I should be able to do better than that for a model that almost 2 years old, even if it is brand new.

With most new cars I can negotiate 10% or more off MSRP without much effort, but I am new to the MC market and dont know what to expect. Perhaps, the MC dealers are less motovated to deal since they carry smaller inventories and the modles generally don't change that much from year to year, or maybe they don't get the same incentives from the manufacturers as auto dealers. I don't know, so I am seeking your advice. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:24 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate to kill your fun but..........I see many bikes used for great deals....I just saw a 2006 with 4500 miles in mint shape for 8500 dollars! Ever think used? I see many great deals on softails with near no miles for under 10k

Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

I agree with used. I've never bought a new Harley but I got my '07 Heritage with 687 miles in mint condition for $13.5k. I shopped for a few months and needed to buy in CA but still see some with 10,000 mi for a couple thousand more. Don't know if they're selling but I see 'em. Plus, the Softails haven't had any drastic changes like the '09 Touring bikes so I wanted at least an '07 for the 6 speed (and the 96ci though I'd be happy with an 88). I like to think somebody else took the hit of riding it off the showroom floor. Bought my '07 Streetbob from from someone off this site and it had 300 miles on it.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Don't ask the seller what he will take. TELL the seller/dealer that you will pay $X out the door. Walk if turned down. Make yourself the one in control not the other party. Do good research on what the price should be with tax, lic, plates and shipping etc. and make a cash offer in the area of the 20% that you mentioned.

By the way after a decent 1st qtr HD sales went into the tank. Some dealers are aware that they will have too much 010 inventory when the 11's hit in less than 10 weeks and are willing to deal. What motivates them right now is cash and no trade.

One just offered $1,500 off on a 010 Superglide to complete my collection of one of each family of air cooled HD's. An 09 should be discounted more. Remember the two years depreciation will hit you the moment you buy it. The deal is based on no trade in accepted. HD dealers do not even want used HD's right now.

It seems that most private sellers just don't get what the reality of the used market right now and also are asking way over book.

When you are the buyer, you are the superior one in charge. Use that power whether it is for a popscicle or Ferrari.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-10-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by lh4x4
When you are the buyer, you are the superior one in charge. Use that power whether it is for a popscicle or Ferrari.
Ha, true statement in this economy, but I'm not sure about the Ferrari part(there is currently a 2 year wait for 599GTB's and Californias), but I get your point.

we bought our '05 V-Rod used, but just a word of caution. unless you are a seasoned wrench and do your own work, never stepping foot in a dealer for service, I would recommend trying to buy from an HD dealer if you are going to buy used.

You can get a warranty(we got a 5 year on our Rod) on a used-out of warranty HD only if you buy it from a dealer.

BTW, you can't go wrong with the Custom. I am so glad I bought the best HD my first time around. does everything really well(cruising, running the twisties, all-day touring), and that 70's Easy Rider chopper look cannot be beat!

At the same though, I fully understand the desire to ride a brand new HD off the showroom floor. It's pretty cool.

Last edited by Z06_Pilot; 05-11-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:49 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,380 Likes on 21,857 Posts

What is the KBB and NADA price of it, cause that's what it will be as soon as you buy it. I think that would be a fair way to do it. Usually KBB is somewhat high and NADA is quite low, so I'd say try to get in the middle of those books.
I'm thinking somewhere in the $15's, but hey what do I know I don't do this for a living. It would be sweeter if you could have him take yours in on trade. Good luck with that one.
I bought my 09 SG in 9/09 and got a thousand knocked off as the 10's were out, but when I mentioned trade, no way would the dealer hold to the thousand off, so now I have 2 bikes a 99 that you see is my sig pic that I would like to sell and might one day, and the new 09 that I am making payments on.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

You may try telling him it's a discontinued model in 2011 and that makes it worth less.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM
HAP76
Advanced

Thanks for all the helpful feedback and suggestions. Good to know that the process works the same as it does for cars and that good deals are available. I was able to find an on-line resorce for MC dealer invoice costs at www.cyclecost.com (anyone have any experience with this site?). They charge $20 for the info, but I suspect its probably a good investment. I have always found it more beneficial to negotiate up from dealer invoice rather than down from MSRP. This information seems to be widely available for free for new cars, but I had no luck turning up a free source for MC data. If someone knows of a source I overlooked, please let me know.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

keep us posted

Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot
Ha, true statement in this economy, but I'm not sure about the Ferrari part(there is currently a 2 year wait for 599GTB's and Californias), but I get your point.

we bought our '05 V-Rod used, but just a word of caution. unless you are a seasoned wrench and do your own work, never stepping foot in a dealer for service, I would recommend trying to buy from an HD dealer if you are going to buy used.

You can get a warranty(we got a 5 year on our Rod) on a used-out of warranty HD only if you buy it from a dealer.

BTW, you can't go wrong with the Custom. I am so glad I bought the best HD my first time around. does everything really well(cruising, running the twisties, all-day touring), and that 70's Easy Rider chopper look cannot be beat!

At the same though, I fully understand the desire to ride a brand new HD off the showroom floor. It's pretty cool.
+ 1 on the Custom! This bike does it all. I've got removable HD bags and windshield on mine. It's also got the most comfortable seat in the entire HD lineup.
GL with it and enjoy!

Quick Reply: How much for 2009 Softail Custom?