Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension Bouncy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 05:02 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Bouncy?

Hey All,

My wife was complaining that riding on the back was making her kind of sick from the "bounciness". I'm on an '06 FLSTSC with about 1200 miles in.

Does that mean the rear suspension is too soft or too stiff? What can I do to make the ride better for her (aside from buying a another bike [8D])?

I've been doing some searching but hadn't come across a solid answer to that yet.

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2006, 05:13 PM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear Suspension Bouncy?

Too new for suspension problems.They come with a factory preload for a certain wt.person.I dont think it considers two-up riding. Has it been lowered ? (would make it only stiffer).You can always go with an after market shock like Progressive.Not much else you can do.Personal choice I guess or live with it.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer

Nope, hasn't been lowered.

Would switching to a Progressive shock make enough difference to warrant going that route?

Old 08-14-2006, 07:44 PM
softail2005
Road Captain

Suggest you ask Harley to set the shocks for the combined weight of you and your wife. I have the same problem, tried to set the shocks myself and was not able the turn the preload.

Also you have to watch to make sure both shocks are set the same. If one is off or not working correctly it can cause handling issues.

Two up riding requires a 40 psi rear tire pressure and 36 front according to the manual, and yes, tire pressure makes a big difference.

My bike is grounding on driveway entrances, gate entrances with two folks on the bike. Wife weighs 125 and I weigh 200 so the shocks need to be set a bit stiffer than stock.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 AM
dert
Road Master

Yes,Progressive will make a difference.They are relatively inexpensive and you can install yourself with a lift..HD also makes a decent upgrade. Otherwise.I agree with softtail2005.But I still would go with Progressive.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can a guy that's a novice like me who's just proud that he can do his own 5k service install the progressives relatively easy?
I'd be using the aluminum Craftsman 1500lb lift.
I'd love to browse the intallation instructions on these shocks.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:26 PM
dert
Road Master

The lift you have is standard. The shocks are simple enough.You should get instructions with the shocks.There are only 4 bolts involved.The old ones are probably pretty darn tight/factory loctite and may be a booger to get off....muscle.Take a look underneath to determine if you want to tackle it first,but as I said it is an easy job.The frame supports on the lift may make things pretty tight .2 bolts on the swing arm and 2 on the frame..The new shock s will have to be compressed and any compressing tool is advised .Can be rented from most parts stores.Similar to putting gas shocks on a vehicle.The last progressives I bought came with a compressing band and all is needed is cut it off once then shocks are installed.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
dert
Road Master

Note to previous : They may come with the shock only and the connecting shaft (2) on the swing arm may have to be screwed into the new shock.I have seen both types.Either way,it can be done

Old 08-15-2006, 03:32 PM
dert
Road Master

Suggest Progressive series 413...Come with shaft and ready to install.See their website

Old 08-15-2006, 09:47 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to look into which MFG Part No. for the 413 Series will apply for the '06 FLSTSC. I think I may give that a whirl and see if that changes much... as soon as I check on what's in the piggy bank.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Bouncy?