Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge Anyone!???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:37 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pressure Gauge Anyone!???

Anyone ever install one of these on a Fatboy? I have one coming ... and was told that it would burn my leg ... I don't believe it ... but, just in case ... I'll ask the folks in this forum.

If it is too close to my leg ... anyone install it on the two front rocker bolts? There's no way an old fat guy, aka me, can possibly look down at the gauge and really read it even if mounted in the rear, suggested position.

Well .. would appreciate the jewels of your experience.

PS: Yes, I know an oil gauge is superfluous. Yes, I know the idiot light is reliable. Yes ... I know $70 was too much to pay for it. Yes ... yes ... yes ... BUT ... I am an old engineer ... a geek by nature and desire ... and I MUST have gauges .... I MUST ... YOU SEE ... H A V E M Y G A UG E S!!!!! Arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Gauge Anyone!???-oil-pressure-gauge.-jpg.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the link to get a steel braid hose and a chrome cover to make the install nicer. If the kit you are using has a plastic hose, I would replace it with a steel braid.
http://www.jerzeecustoms.com/Products.htm

Here is the link when I installed my oil guage on my Deluxe.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-pictures.html

X

Last edited by Rockyriver; 05-07-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, have one on my 2000 fatboy. no burnt leg isues at all. don't know about the front mounting option as the gauge would lead towards the front and be difficult to see. yes the plastic hose is cheap and not very long, i opted to use 1/16" stainless line. ran from the tee, under the cam cover, and up to the gauge. mechanic by trade and like the gauge for the peace of mind if for nothing else. oh, by the way...you wont be pleased with your idle oil pressure after the bike gets up to temp. if your riding an 06 or older. do the baisley spring....it really works very well. steve

Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Gauge Anyone!???-oil-line.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 09:15 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No issue here

Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Question

Originally Posted by snip0721
yep, have one on my 2000 fatboy. no burnt leg isues at all. don't know about the front mounting option as the gauge would lead towards the front and be difficult to see. yes the plastic hose is cheap and not very long, i opted to use 1/16" stainless line. ran from the tee, under the cam cover, and up to the gauge. mechanic by trade and like the gauge for the peace of mind if for nothing else. oh, by the way...you wont be pleased with your idle oil pressure after the bike gets up to temp. if your riding an 06 or older. do the baisley spring....it really works very well. steve
" baisley spring?"

Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Yea the baisley spring. Its behind the thermal transducer!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:41 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by soft 02
Yea the baisley spring. Its behind the thermal transducer!
Is it the red thing next to the flux capacitor just behind the transducer?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I've had mine on for a couple years now and haven't had any issues with the plastic line but did replace it recently because I knew it would only be a matter of time. I wouldn't worry about burning you leg.

One of the first things I do with every bike I've ever had is to put a Oil Pressure Gauge on it. Don't trust lights, never have have.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:10 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IronAss
I've had mine on for a couple years now and haven't had any issues with the plastic line but did replace it recently because I knew it would only be a matter of time. I wouldn't worry about burning you leg.

One of the first things I do with every bike I've ever had is to put a Oil Pressure Gauge on it. Don't trust lights, never have have.
I built street racers back in the day ... always had gauges ... RPM, oil p & t ... and water T, generator voltage, turbo boost, manifold p ... idiot lights are always too late ... and useless in high HP engines that are revving at insane radial speeds .. my last MB 3.6L AMG engine would spin at 8000 RPM just as the torque curve would turn south ... always kept an eye on it when I'd street race it ... I also had twin microphones listening for predetonations and would adjust the A/F curves accordingly. I ran the engine on a TEC II unit .. now a dinosaur but in its day better than a MOTEC that ran 3 times the price or more. Data is useful if you know what to do with it. I had $35k in the engine alone.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 PM
aceckel
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend the Jerzee Customs oil pressure gauge kit. In fact, my choice was based ont epositive feedback about the product from this forum. Comes in a chrome or black finish, your choice of gauges, AND the stainless line for just over $100. http://www.jerzeecustoms.com/HDOilTrimKitTCBlk.htm I had mine in less than 4 days, perfectly boxed, with bubble & foam wrap, and clear instructions. Fit perfect, piece of cake to install. Zero heat issues.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge Anyone!???