Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this cam a good choice for my bike??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Rail
Road Master

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Black and Chrome gave you some good advise..

If you're just looking for a 2k-4k cam with a lot of torque then you might consider the SE255 cam as well... The SE204 is a viable option as well.. Of the 3 cams you have listed above in post the 525 and 6-6 might be a better option than the 54H for lowend torque.. All 3 are cams you can grow into if you decide to do some motor work in the future.. Not sure I would consider the 255 or the 204 if you plan to bump the motor down the road..

Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
So what you are saying is that you want to change the gearing to make the cams come on quicker, right????

Or are you saying you did want to change the gearing, but once you did the cams you no longer had any need to change gearing???

Thanks.
Its a pity you dont have a dyno chart as I would love to see your TQ curve.
I wanted to change gearing before cam would still like to this thing cruises at100 mph with ease

Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
I totally agree with the above. The best thing for you to do is to call a few of the cam producers and get their advise on the subject. It is all about how you ride the bike if you will like your choice of cams. The hardest part is to get it all with just a cam swap, There is so much more to performance building than just bolting on something without losing something else somewhere in the rpm range of the engine. The people who say no to this ride in the rpm range of the cams they chose. Like they say you can't have it all there is always a trade off
OK thanks for the advice..... so if because I'm running true duals, I'm going to lose a bit of torque down low, right?? So my cam choice should be more an Andrews 48H rather than a 54H, right??

Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
I wanted to change gearing before cam would still like to this thing cruises at100 mph with ease
OK, I have 2 more questions:

1. what exhaust are you running?
2. did you lose any bottom end TQ when you went to the 408-44 cams?

I am running true duals and I would be worried that with that cam I would lose too much TQ down low.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I want to reiterate... read the article in AIM (there's also a minor article in Vtwin). 96's have more top end than 88's. The pulley ratios are different. The strokes are different. Thus, the cams need to be different. Even the difference in the rod lengths can have an impact. The article has been chopped up to fit in the mag, but it still gives a pretty good overview of the different characteristics of the various Harley engines and what cam features might do what...

If you already understand this stuff, then, please excuse me...

C#

Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rail
Black and Chrome gave you some good advise..

If you're just looking for a 2k-4k cam with a lot of torque then you might consider the SE255 cam as well... The SE204 is a viable option as well.. Of the 3 cams you have listed above in post the 525 and 6-6 might be a better option than the 54H for lowend torque.. All 3 are cams you can grow into if you decide to do some motor work in the future.. Not sure I would consider the 255 or the 204 if you plan to bump the motor down the road..
Thanks, yes the 54H needs a bit of compression to maintain low end TQ especially seeing as though I am running True dual pipes.

Because I'm running true dual pipes I think maybe the Andrews new 48H cam would be a better choice, or even the Woods TW5-6.....

What do you think?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I want to reiterate... read the article in AIM (there's also a minor article in Vtwin). 96's have more top end than 88's. The pulley ratios are different. The strokes are different. Thus, the cams need to be different. Even the difference in the rod lengths can have an impact. The article has been chopped up to fit in the mag, but it still gives a pretty good overview of the different characteristics of the various Harley engines and what cam features might do what...

If you already understand this stuff, then, please excuse me...

C#
I don't have a copy of this mag - I will have to go and get one. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, I have 2 more questions:

1. what exhaust are you running?
2. did you lose any bottom end TQ when you went to the 408-44 cams?

I am running true duals and I would be worried that with that cam I would lose too much TQ down low.
I am running V&H BSS I cant tell where it lost any low end torque call Bob Woods he can answer all your questions,I am very happy with the cam but you may not like it that is why you should call Bob every one has a different opinion on cams I would hate for you to spend your money and be unhappy

Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Rail
Road Master

Thanks, yes the 54H needs a bit of compression to maintain low end TQ especially seeing as though I am running True dual pipes.

Because I'm running true dual pipes I think maybe the Andrews new 48H cam would be a better choice, or even the Woods TW5-6.....

What do you think?
My CR is set at 10.25-1 in a 103" and when I spoke with Andrews they said it would work good in my build but that my compression might be a bit high for it so tune would be very important.. They suggested to change pulleys rather than cams.. This is the email I got from them..
I love the 54 cam, works great. Your compression ratio is a touch high for the 54 in a 103" so the tune will be very important. Attached is a dyno sheet with the 54 cam in a 103" engine. I would change your final drive ratio, take your bike for a blast, and then you'll be like "Man... that Gary guy saved me a lot of money on a new cam and my bike pulls like it should now". We make a 30 tooth trans pulley that will help with that. Put a 70 tooth on the rear also (you'd have to ditch the cush drive), and you'll have the 3.15 final drive ratio the earlier TC's had
I'm not well versed on the Woods cams as I've never used one but many speak highly of them.. I just never liked the idea of paying a $200 premium for a cam and possibly dealing with a noisey valve train.. I have no 1st hand knowledge of the valve noise, just repeating what others that have them have told me.. Again,many people swear by Woods cams so I may be missing the boat..

Last edited by Rail; 05-12-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Rail
Road Master

BTW, that dyno sheet he sent showed a 54H in a 103 motor pulled 117.9 torque and 108.4 hp.. Doesn't say if anything was done to the heads or was just a stage II 103 kit..

Quick Reply: Is this cam a good choice for my bike??