Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sore butt looking for softer seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sore butt looking for softer seat

ORIGINAL: Babs

ORIGINAL: monkyman

I'm another fan of Mustang seats, fit well and much more comfortable than the badlander.

I put a solo seat with fender bib on mine. They have different styles available, but mine is just fine for distance.
I'm about set on becoming a Mustang fan but I've got a question.. Solo or Wide Solo?
Going with the Non-studded Vintage Solo and one of the pillions (undecided which) that would fit it.

I've got a friend in the business that can order it from Drag, but they only have the vintage solo unless I want the full boat with backrests, which I don't.

Whata ya think?
Any of you Mustang guys with the studded or vintage solo have an opinion to offer. Just the plain solo I'm thinking would be ok.. though I don't necessarily have a skinny ****.

Looking for a better seat for 300+ miles per day.
The lapera solo (naturally) ain't cutting it.. even though it's actually better than the stock brick.
Babs, I don't own one yet, but I've had several pm me about a wide solo and I'm taking a hard look at that model. I've also had several people comment about the difference a backrest makes--especially if you're knocking down miles. I'm looking at that option as well. One of the guys was saying it would run about $479., but that's a small price to pay for comforts over a long day of riding--over the course of some years. At least in my opinion.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:50 PM
mw8472
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Babs, I bought wide vintage solo with rider backrest #79368 with rear seat #79369 for my 06 Springer. I figured the extra cost was worth it in comfort over the years. Also, the backrest can be very easily removed and adjusted.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:03 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. have tried the gel pad inside the seat, had a top gel pad, and have tried the Tall Boy seat. Still tailbone is the problem. May try the back rest next, but heard it pushes you forward.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:59 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Got the Sundowner FX Part No. 51576-00 last weekend for my 04 Fat Boy. The seat is a discontinued model that is still in-stock at some dealers. Dealers can request from other dealers, etc. The seat is 15" wide (front) and 12" wide (rear). Rode 2-3 hours last weekend...no complaints from me or my passenger. The seat is much more comfortable than stock. Both rider and passenger are 'planted' now...no more sliding around...countours make it feel like a "saddle" now. Seating position is a little higher and a little more forward than stock, but that will improve as the seat breaks-in.

The 51576-00 seat was replaced by the FX Sundowner 51468-06A. They are not the same and the 51576-00 is better in my opinion. Got the seat for $231 + tax. It is a good deal...

Old 08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 01 Fatboy with a Badlander seat and I find that it gets very uncomfortable during a long ride. And, my better half won't get on the back of the Badlander seat as it's little more than butt floss. So, I picked up a stock Fatboy seat for two-up riding (very short distances).

However, I like the Badlander look and would like to continue using it for long rides. So, now that I have a spare seat, I plan on sending the Badlander seat off to have it shaved and have some padding added. You may want to consider the same. Here are two places that have been recommended to me:

http://www.americanasoftseats.com/

http://www.carolinabuttbuffer.com/index.html

Never used either one so, I can't vouche for them but, I'm going to give one of them a try.

BTW, if you do decide to go with a different seat, seems like most Mustang seat owners are extremely happy with their seats. However, the majority of guys I know that have put Corbin seats on the bikes have taken them back off and gone to something different. I get the same story from a buddy of mine who is a former service manager at a large HD stealership.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 PM
pro1955
Road Captain

I have the same tailbone issue, bought a Mustang seat (solo) moved me up and forward didn't like it, it was better but not the answer, I sold it. I have the Badlander only for around town and short trips, for long hauls I use stock seat and a Propad. My friend has a Corbin, way too hard for my butt, I'm probably going to have one made but its a last resort. Wish there was a better way to go.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the wide vintage solo and am very happy with the comfort. With my stock seat, I could only ride about 1 hour before by back started to hurt. With the wide solo, I've had several 2 + hour rides with no back aches. I have also modified my pilon to be a quick detach that I can install or remove in less than a minute.
ORIGINAL: Babs

I'm about set on becoming a Mustang fan but I've got a question.. Solo or Wide Solo?
Going with the Non-studded Vintage Solo and one of the pillions (undecided which) that would fit it.

I've got a friend in the business that can order it from Drag, but they only have the vintage solo unless I want the full boat with backrests, which I don't.

Whata ya think?
Any of you Mustang guys with the studded or vintage solo have an opinion to offer. Just the plain solo I'm thinking would be ok.. though I don't necessarily have a skinny ****.

Looking for a better seat for 300+ miles per day.
The lapera solo (naturally) ain't cutting it.. even though it's actually better than the stock brick.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:28 PM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain

06 FXSTS... Until either I get another Bike (Touring model) or my wife gets a new Bike(Softail Deluxe) I bought a Corbin Seat with an 11" passenger Pillion. We went on a 370 mile one day trip and an 800 mile three day trip. I am fine!!! I love it with the extended controls. She was fine on the three day not the one day.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:56 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a side note: I have a Deluxe and the Mustang Wide Solo raises me about 2". It might become an issue if you are short in statue.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:59 PM
asmacsbob
Intermediate

go to a REI store if one is close by and get a gel seat for a beach cruiser bicycle ($40) i used it to go from LA to Sturgis on a duece with no discomfort. i have a HD badlander seat on the bike

Quick Reply: Sore butt looking for softer seat