Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Combo tach/speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts
Default Combo tach/speedometer

A friend was kind enough to call and offer me his from his departed '07 Road King. I was concerned about it working, as the '05s and the '07s take different part numbers. He was pretty sure that the only difference was the addition of the cruise control and 6th gear indicators. So I got it, sent it off to Harley to have the mileage changed, and installed it last night.

There is one additional difference....The plug faces the opposite direction. Not a big deal, but it does make for a bit more contorting when plugging & unplugging it. But it works. I've got speed, I've got tach, and I've got odometer(s). And the cool bonus is that I now have a working 6th gear indicator. I'm not sure if that's due to the '07 map I'm running, or if any bike with a 6th gear would do it, but who cares, it's awesome.

The only quirk is that the mileage is visible all the time, not just when the bike's on, or when you push the reset button. Not a big deal, as I can't imagine there's that much drain just running those couple of LCDs.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Rockrspud
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good score on the guage I looked at them at J&P after market for $399.oo and Harley is $499.oo I think I really want the HD for the HD name on the guage.
I also saw a all digital and that was neet, had oil temp,head temp,oil pressure,hour meter, clock, and alot more and fits in the dash that was in J&P.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I ponied up and bought the HD combo with the spun aluminum face, it's a really nice mod and practical too.
Enjoy!

Old 05-01-2010, 07:47 PM
NightTrain4Al
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rthomp159
A friend was kind enough to call and offer me his from his departed '07 Road King. I was concerned about it working, as the '05s and the '07s take different part numbers. He was pretty sure that the only difference was the addition of the cruise control and 6th gear indicators. So I got it, sent it off to Harley to have the mileage changed, and installed it last night.

There is one additional difference....The plug faces the opposite direction. Not a big deal, but it does make for a bit more contorting when plugging & unplugging it. But it works. I've got speed, I've got tach, and I've got odometer(s). And the cool bonus is that I now have a working 6th gear indicator. I'm not sure if that's due to the '07 map I'm running, or if any bike with a 6th gear would do it, but who cares, it's awesome.

The only quirk is that the mileage is visible all the time, not just when the bike's on, or when you push the reset button. Not a big deal, as I can't imagine there's that much drain just running those couple of LCDs.
Pictures??

Old 05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Ask and ye shall receive.

With the exception of the 200mm tire (which I don't want), my '05 is successfully impersonating an '07.

Attached Thumbnails Combo tach/speedometer-img_0266.jpg  
Old 05-01-2010, 09:32 PM
NightTrain4Al
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask and ye shall receive.

With the exception of the 200mm tire (which I don't want), my '05 is successfully impersonating an '07.
I gotta get one! Love it! What do I do a search under? Maybe eBay will choke one up for me at a decent price. Or...Dr.V-Twin.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

It's a MoCo part. $500 msrp I believe.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the chance to get one used the other day. I called and asked the service department about resetting it. The guy said Harley cannot reset a used speedometer/tach unit.
I guess the guy did not know what he was talking about?

Old 05-01-2010, 10:57 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

So I got it, sent it off to Harley to have the mileage changed, and installed it last night.

How did you get them to do that. My dealer won't even talk about it but to say no.

I have one that a took apart to re-glue the face on and try to get a dent out of the ring. I found another one on ebay and have never put this one back together.

Last edited by wlbowers; 05-02-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:31 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. So I got it, sent it off to Harley to have the mileage changed, and installed it last night.
I got one a few weeks ago,installed it, and have racked up a couple hundred miles. How did you get HD to reset it? Did you contact them directly? How much was it, and how long was the turnaround? I need to move mine to 12,000 for the bike to be accurate. Do you tell them what to move it to, or how does that work?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really need to know. I am going to tear it down to paint it soon, and may try and send the speedo off at the same time.

Thanx, RD.

Quick Reply: Combo tach/speedometer