Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Combo tach/speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

i think i'm going to buy this one

Attached Thumbnails Combo tach/speedometer-tach.jpg  
Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have had the Nostalgic speedo-tach combo for years, very nice addition! Always nice to see and know where your power band is.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:43 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default speedo

I have said this before and ill say it again. I really do not think this type of unit would be that useful. Think about it do you really want to look down there when you hitting about 90 miles an hour. Seems like it would be a little unsafe. i would want the thing right up there where i can keep my eyes on the road. there are some nice small mini digital tachs around that can be mounted just about any where. any way just my thoughts on this type of tach

Old 05-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the same one in my 07' Train that rthomp159 has last year. Lately the speedo has been freaking out on me. Says I'm doin' 70 when I'm doin' 40 ( buddy rode beside me). Shut the bike down, needle stays at 30mph or whatever it feels like. Then it will ok for a while and then act up again, very random. Any ideas ?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 AM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Smug
I put the same one in my 07' Train that rthomp159 has last year. Lately the speedo has been freaking out on me. Says I'm doin' 70 when I'm doin' 40 ( buddy rode beside me). Shut the bike down, needle stays at 30mph or whatever it feels like. Then it will ok for a while and then act up again, very random. Any ideas ?

i read other reviews on HD's speedo/tach combo, and that is very common. they said when left in the sun (don't know the details, something bubbles up, sweals up, whatever) but when left in the sun for an hour or so, it would act crazy.... pull it in the garage or shade for a few hours/over night... it would work like a champ... until it was in the sun again.

that's pretty much what i read

Old 05-02-2010, 11:44 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
i read other reviews on HD's speedo/tach combo, and that is very common. they said when left in the sun (don't know the details, something bubbles up, sweals up, whatever) but when left in the sun for an hour or so, it would act crazy.... pull it in the garage or shade for a few hours/over night... it would work like a champ... until it was in the sun again.
that's pretty much what i read
Take a good look at the face of the speedometer. If it is not glued down good the heat will warp the face up till it stops the needles from moving.

That's why I took the one apart. Photo's above.

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
i think i'm going to buy this one
What model is your ride? For that unit to go that far back in model years the speedometer has to be mechanical.

Last edited by wlbowers; 05-02-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:44 AM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smug
Try cleaning off your speed sensor,a lot of ferrous material builds up on there and can make the speedo go wacky

Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 AM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nikonf8
I have said this before and ill say it again. I really do not think this type of unit would be that useful. Think about it do you really want to look down there when you hitting about 90 miles an hour. Seems like it would be a little unsafe. i would want the thing right up there where i can keep my eyes on the road. there are some nice small mini digital tachs around that can be mounted just about any where. any way just my thoughts on this type of tach
I'm usually done shifting by the time I'm hitting 90,at that point I'm just hanging on and looking straight ahead

Old 05-02-2010, 11:50 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wlbowers
Take a good look at the face of the speedometer. If it is not glued down good the heat will warp the face up till it stops the needles from moving.

That's why I took the one apart. Photo's above.
I found the same thing in the speedo on my 99 Sporty. It looks as if you could shorten the needle by an eighth or so with a set of fingernail clippers to fix it. The hard part is removing the aluminum ring without damaging it, to get at the needle area. I just replaced mine with a new one.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Smug
Tourer

Excellant, thanks for the tips guys.

Quick Reply: Combo tach/speedometer