Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protect the Black Denim

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Beeble
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protect the Black Denim

Hey All,
I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me.

I just bought my first bike, the 2010 Fat Boy Lo in Black Denim.
It's so new that I just filled up my first tank of gas about an hour ago.... which leads me to my question(s).

1) I'm sure this will get better with a little practice, but do you guys have any tips against getting gas on the tank? I thought i was careful, but when I was done, I definately needed a clean up.... I felt like such a newb.

2) Is there anything I should do to keep my Black Denim paintjob protected? I don't think wax would be the right option, but then again, I have no clue? Suggestions?

Right now my bike is stock, but plan on making a few modifications... as soon as I do, I'll be sure to post pics.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Beeble

Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Black denim is amde to "ear" as it ages. I use the gas cap to put the nozzle tip in while moving the nozzle from the tank to the pump. Just wipe it with water or windex where it got gas on it. fI believe the Harley manual says to use windex. Wax and polish are not for denim paint.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Slopneck
Road Master

Welcome to the forum from Carolina! If you do a search, you will find plenty of threads about cleaning/maintaining the denim paint. Most of us actually use Windex! (ammonia-free, of course) One important thing is not to use any wax-based product on it...unless you decide you want to switch to gloss.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:03 PM
NightTrain4Al
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually grab a paper towel from the windshield cleaning station by the pump. I hold the paper towel over the end of the gas nozzle until it is practically in the tank hole. I fill it up at about half throttle so I don't over fill the tank. When it is full, I use the paper towel to hold over the gas nozzle again until it is clear of the bike.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take it to your local body shop and have'm lay a flat clear over it. Then it will be protected! Ha Ha Ha.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:16 PM
jkevn
Advanced

Get off the computer and go run that first tank dry......But really what everyone else said.
Use anything, hand, paper towel, cap to protect from drips. You aint gonna go any farther on 5.2 gallons than you will on 4.8, dont fill it till it bubbles up over the top.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Beeble
Intermediate

Thanks all... hopefully I'll be able to contribute more to this board in the future.
Now, off for a ride...

-Beeble

Old 05-01-2010, 10:48 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome to the forums. Lot's of good info here.

For denium paint the manual recommends dish soap for washing and ammonia based window cleaner for stuborn stains. No wax or polish as said before.

However, what I have found to work well, is to wash with an auto wash (Jwax in my case) that has a small amount of carnuba wax. I've found that it cleans really well, does not change the look of the denium, but provides enough protection that I no longer get the stains from bugs that I used to get using straight dish soap. I've been using that approach for three years on my wife's silver denium street bob and it looks as good as the day we bought it. Doing the same now on my 2010 black denium SG since I bought it last august.

Aside from loving the look of the denium, I have found it to be very forgiving and easy to care for. Have fun with the new ride!

Last edited by BeeRAD56; 05-01-2010 at 10:52 AM.