Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
BioMek
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch question

ok, after pissing myself off to my wits end and back last night, i'm coming to you, the experts on this matter which i should have done all along.

This is the first time ive ever done anything with my hand controls on my bike. I'm no wrench monkey by any means but i'm not a (total) idiot either. This seemed like a basic enough task that i could handle. I've pulled my aftermarket controls that were on the bike when i bought it and put the factory ones back on. Anyway, i've ran into a snag with the clutch control. I've followed the great instructions on the old threads on here about adjusting the clutch, watched the video on youtube/how to several times, came back and re-read the threads here.

my issues is this. ive done all the adjustments with the adjuster rod and lock nut on the clutch pack, adjusted the clutch from the cable itself but when i'm in gear (bike isnt running) and i have the clutch pulled in, the bike stays in gear. I can still find neutral with the foot shift, just dont have any luck with the clutch handle pulled in after multiple adjustments. Even found a thread that says to start the bike to loosen up the plates in the clutch since the bikes sat idol for a few weeks. No luck with that either.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by BioMek; 04-28-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:09 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BioMek
my issues is this. ive done all the adjustments with the adjuster rod and lock nut on the clutch pack, adjusted the clutch from the cable itself but when i'm in gear (bike isnt running) and i have the clutch handle pulled in, the bike stays in gear. I can still find neutral with the foot shift, just dont have any luck with the clutch handle pulled in after multiple adjustments. Even found a thread that says to start the bike to loosen up the plates in the clutch since the bikes sat idol for a few weeks.
I don't get it. What are you asking?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

You did something wrong.Redo your steps but this time when you are adjusting the clutch pack and you go for the quarter turn out after resistense is felt,hold the clutch handle against the handle bar and feel the handle go in and out,then you will know where the start and stop point is.Be sur to operate the handle a few times before taking the slack out.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:49 PM
BioMek
Advanced

I squeeze the clutch and the bike isn't going into neutral as i hold it in.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

You mean the clutch is not fully disingaging?? If that is the case.... your clutch is out of adjustment. What you need to do is pull the boot off of the cable adjuster. Break the jam nut loose and put alot of slack into the cable. (you are shorting the cable jacket) Then lightly seat the adjuster screw at the clutch basket. Back it off 1/2 turn. Lock down the lock nut while holding the adjustment screw. Go back to the cable adjuster and put 1/16-1/8th of play at you lever.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Just went and tried my bike engine off and put in gear it will not go into neutral either.It must be ok because it works fine with the motor running!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 PM
BioMek
Advanced

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Just went and tried my bike engine off and put in gear it will not go into neutral either.It must be ok because it works fine with the motor running!
Yep that was it. i gave that a shot and was good to go. Thanks bro

Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yep they have drag when the engine is off and the fluid makes it turn on a lift even if in neutral.