Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Bones Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
HurricaneDan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Bones Saddlebags

I have ordered a set of saddlebags for my '09 Cross Bones and wanted to know if anyone else out there had put them on themselves instead of letting the dealer do it.

Do the standard fender bolts have enough length to run through the bags and then back through or do I need to get some 1/4 or 1/2 inch longer bolts?

Also, I have never taken the rear fender off and wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations for doing it right the first time and not scratching the paint.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I put them on myself and it is pretty easy.

The stock fender bolts are too short. Your bags should come with the correct hardware including longer bolts. Here is a link to the instructions on H-D website.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04474.pdf

Why are you looking to take off your fender? Is it to add on the bags? You should not have to take the fender off because the bags bolt right onto it. The bolts thread into brackets on the inside of the fender that have threaded holes so there is no nut or anything on the inside of the fender that you need to try and get to. Also, the two rear bolts on either side that you will be removing to put the bags on do not release the fender and in actuality, those rear bolts only support the lighter rear most part of the fender. The main weight of your rear tin is held up by the front-most bolts which are not only supported by the fender strut covers, but by the inner fender struts which are solid steel and attached at the frame.

If you follow the instruction and do everything carefully you should not have any problems avoiding scratching your fender. Just as a precaution, I would caver up my fender with a towel or something while working. This will be especially helpful when you are attaching the bags to the hangers. You have to bolt them on from the inside which means you have to open the bag and throw the lid over the fender. You don't want those buckles banging around up there while you wrench away!

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

No need to pay the dealer to install saddlebags. It is simple and you can do it yourself. If you hit a problem post up and we will help you. That is why we are here. Also, no need to remove the fender.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 PM
meatsack
Banned

Hopefully you ordered the docking/hardware kit...unless I'm mistaken, HD does not include with the bags.

Last edited by meatsack; 04-28-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Default You are good if all you are mounting is the bags.

Originally Posted by meatsack
Hopefully you ordered the docking/hardware kit...unless I'm mistaken, HD does not include with the bags.

The Bones-Specific bags come with their own docking hardware (Items 2-12 on the parts list at the bottom of the sheet and labeled 1 in the image). You would need to purchase different docking hardware if you are mounting the bags in conjunction with back rests, detachable racks or any other type of accessory that mounts using the same fender bolts that the bags go onto. In those cases the docking hardware would consist of different types of spacers as well as even longer bolts that pass through multiple items. I know because I have my bags mounted in conjunction with the detachable sissy bar and I had to ditch the mounting hardware that came with the bag and use the application-specific ones instead.

It really is a very easy job to do and I would save my money rather than take it to the dealer to have them install the bags. This is literally the first mod I did to my Bones along with the sissy bar which meant that I had to also install a rear turn signal relocation kit. I had never owned a motorcycle and only had my Bones for about a month when I did this so I went completely by the instructions alone. In my case, I did end up removing the fender almost all the way so that I could take off the fender strut covers completely which made it easier to install the new turn signal stems. I also had to cut and extend the wiring on the sigs. I just took my time and studied everything before proceeding, making sure to plan my steps as I went through the process. Sorry for all the extra info but my point is, if a total newbie like me can successfully tackle the installation I just described, then I'm sure most other folks should have no problem with it either.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:56 PM
HurricaneDan
Novice

Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Skeezmachine - Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking I would have to remove the whole fender (or atleast remove the bolts one side at a time). Thanks for the instructions too. I would hope they would come with the bags but you never know.

Dr. V-Twin - I am trying to get my post count up to be able to order my future parts through you

Meatsack - No, the person at the parts department told me I did not need anything else since it was not listed in the HD catalog as a required part. Having not actually seen the bags in person I was under the impression that the side of the bags would be reinforced and not need any supports. I guess I will have to order those and wait for them to come in.

Dr. V-Twin - One last thing, can you give prices on HD gear? Particularly the 90492-08 (mounting hardware) and 90446-08/90440-08 saddlebag hangers?

Thanks,

Dan

Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 PM
meatsack
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
The Bones-Specific bags come with their own docking hardware (Items 2-12 on the parts list at the bottom of the sheet and labeled 1 in the image).
Is that docking hardware quick disconnect?

Originally Posted by HurricaneDan

90446-08/90440-08 saddlebag hangers?

Thanks,

Dan
Looking at the parts list on the instructions, those should be included with the bags.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Default I would wait till I got my bags in...

Meatsack - No, the person at the parts department told me I did not need anything else since it was not listed in the HD catalog as a required part. Having not actually seen the bags in person I was under the impression that the side of the bags would be reinforced and not need any supports. I guess I will have to order those and wait for them to come in.

Dr. V-Twin - One last thing, can you give prices on HD gear? Particularly the 90492-08 (mounting hardware) and 90446-08/90440-08 saddlebag hangers?

Thanks,

Dan[/quote]

Hey Bro. Happy to try and help but maybe it is too much info too early on? If you bought your bags new from H-D and you are ONLY installing the bags and no other items that mount to your fender then you will have everything you need, INCLUDING the hangers which double as support AND the mounting hardware. If you look at the parts list on the instruction sheet, the only item that is NOT included in the whole kit is listed separately under "ITEMS MENTIONED IN TEXT BUT NOT INCLUDED IN KIT:" In this case it is referring to your outer fender strut (fender rail support cover) which is already on your bike. If there was something you had to buy separately it would be listed in this section.

These instructions SHOULD come with your kit but in case they are not there then you have them now or you can always go to the H-D site and get them from there.

If I were you, I would try not to over think it now and just hang tight until you get your kit. Once you see it up close you should have no problem sorting it out and it should become pretty clear.

Sorry if I have confused the process for you in any way.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:10 PM
HurricaneDan
Novice

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine

Hey Bro. Happy to try and help but maybe it is too much info too early on? If you bought your bags new from H-D and you are ONLY installing the bags and no other items that mount to your fender then you will have everything you need, INCLUDING the hangers which double as support AND the mounting hardware. If you look at the parts list on the instruction sheet, the only item that is NOT included in the whole kit is listed separately under "ITEMS MENTIONED IN TEXT BUT NOT INCLUDED IN KIT:" In this case it is referring to your outer fender strut (fender rail support cover) which is already on your bike. If there was something you had to buy separately it would be listed in this section.

These instructions SHOULD come with your kit but in case they are not there then you have them now or you can always go to the H-D site and get them from there.

If I were you, I would try not to over think it now and just hang tight until you get your kit. Once you see it up close you should have no problem sorting it out and it should become pretty clear.

Sorry if I have confused the process for you in any way.
Skeezmachine, you did not confuse me. I should have re-read the thread before I actually hit 'Submit Reply'. If I had waited and done that you would have not have even seen my post. You have helped me greatly by coming back and explaining.

Thanks again,

Dan

Last edited by HurricaneDan; 04-28-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Bad spelling!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
The Wolf
Intermediate

Pretty sure you do have to relocate the turn signals. That requires a kit....It will bw worth it. The bags come in very handy!

Quick Reply: Cross Bones Saddlebags