Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and Various Other Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010 | 03:10 PM
Thewaxmania
|
Advanced
Default Oil and Various Other Fluids

Way back when on my old 1992 Dynaglide I used Synthetic 20w-50 in the engine, synthetic 75w-90 in the transmission and 50w VR1 dino oil in the primary. I've since moved into Twin Cam territory and I'm wondering if that combination is still aces. Actually, the only thing I'm questioning is the primary fluid. I like to use 1 brand of lube from 1 supplier but I can't find Lucas 50w anywhere and where I normally buy it, doesn't carry it anymore. Its not a huge deal but I wanted to stick with something simple. Multi-vicosity oil in the primary never made much sense to me since it doesn't really get hot enough to matter, but maybe I'm all wet on that. Any thoughts?

Old 04-22-2010 | 03:43 PM
skyline090
Intermediate

Harley no longer recommends use of synthetics. I stick with brand name dino fluids. After talking to my indy, I no longer even look at the Harley oil.. Bottom of the barrel stuff.

Old 04-22-2010 | 03:54 PM
Thewaxmania
|
Advanced

While that may be true, I don't buy it. I have used the Harley recommended stuff and the primary is noisy, the tranny is clunky and never finds neutral, and the engine runs hotter than it ever should.

Furthermore, I don't believe that Harley no longer recommends synthetic fluids, since they sell Syn3 by the truckload and put it in all their new CVO bikes. Where did you hear that HD doesn't recommend Synthetic fluids? Synthetic fluids are better in every conceivable measure including reducing friction, temperature, and wear. So, I'm going to continue to use them. I'm not looking to be converted to the idea that dino oils are better or to using another brand. I'm going to use Lucas Synthetics and when I can't find that I'll use Royal Purple, Amzoil, Mobil1 etc.

I think 50w oil should be fine in the primary, all it does is cool and its going to be noisy with any multi viscosity oil since it'll never get up to 200 degrees to increase viscosity from 20w and therefor will be noisier. I think I've just convinced myself that my old system will work just fine in the new scoot.

Old 04-22-2010 | 10:53 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thewaxmania
I think 50w oil should be fine in the primary, all it does is cool and its going to be noisy with any multi viscosity oil since it'll never get up to 200 degrees to increase viscosity from 20w and therefor will be noisier. I think I've just convinced myself that my old system will work just fine in the new scoot.
I think it's less a matter of heat than cold. That 50w is going to make for a mighty sluggish clutch when cold I would think. Granted, I ran straight 50 in my ironhead... but that bike only had one hole. If you're going to go with a single weight, I think a 30w would be a better choice.

Old 04-23-2010 | 02:47 AM
hpfatboy
Banned

Running 10-40 Amsoil in primary, runs like a CHAMP!

Old 04-23-2010 | 05:17 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

I'm currently running 20/50 Mobile 1 in my primary (07 Night Train) and it works better than the ATF and 10/40 dino I've tried before. Nice smooth clutch action. I live in a warm climate though so maybe a lower viscosity would be better in the Northern climes.

It's hard to find anything better than Redline Shockproof for the trans and the Mobile 1 V-Twin is working well in the engine.

Old 04-23-2010 | 07:15 AM
Thewaxmania
|
Advanced

Yeah, maybe I'll give either 30w or 20w-50 a try. It just doesn't seem to make any sense to use a multi viscosity oil in a primary since it will never get warm enough to make it up from 20w to 50w, so its like running 20w oil all the time. Like I said, I had Syn3 in the primary of my dyna and it was noisy and clanky and I didn't like it, but maybe I'll try 30W for these cold Rhode Island mornings. Thanks mates.

Old 04-23-2010 | 05:23 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 04-24-2010 | 02:38 AM
Heritage632
Tourer

Run Mobil 1 synthetic in the engine, Redline Heavy shockproof in the trans and Redline primary in the primary.....BTW I don't know what dealer skyline090 was at ( certainly no disrespect meant) but Harley certainly recommends synthetics to me!!! Thewaxmania is 100% correct with regards to synthetic over conventional. Don't know an expert that will say otherwise.

Steve

Old 04-25-2010 | 01:44 AM
cpiad
Account Closed

... hung around Ft. Myers Harley the other day ... saw they were selling RedLine 20-60, Redline primary oil and Redline Tranny oil (w/shock proofer) ... asked 'em if that wasn't cuttin' into their Syn3 sales ... yeah ... but their own techs all use Redline ... and customers were catchin on ... so ... I ordered a batch ... and will try it ... we'll see ...

Quick Reply: Oil and Various Other Fluids