Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
northtroyboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low should I go?

I'm putting chrome lower forks on my Fatboy so I figured I'd put in lowering springs while I'm at it. I also ordered the blue progressive shocks from LA Choppers to help from bottoming out and a lowering kit for the rear. My question to you guys is how low should I go. I'm 6'3" and 250lbs. I want to slam it but I don't want any trouble in the corners either. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys

Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2" is very rideable when you start to go lower you start getting a very bad ride. I went with Shotgun airride and I can go real low and still ride in comfort. JMO

Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with 2" max, however for your weight 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" would be a little better on the spine and in the curves. If I had it to do over on the front of my bike (Its a bear to take apart) I would of done it at 1 3/4. The rear is easy to adjust on the Softail shocks (With longer bolts or Progressive Shocks) so you can experiment with it.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 04-20-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 PM
fattboy1967
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Slam away

Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
fattboy1967
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

SLAM DAT SOB!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Greggle
Cruiser

Alright I know guys are gonna beat me bloody for saying this but I can't help but add my two cents. I had the HD kit in my 03 heritage when I bought it. I'm pretty sure it was a 2" kit. There is nothing better looking than a lowered bike. I'm on board with that big time. I am also on board with putting up with a not so good ride for style. Just sayin that every time I hit a bump. big or not so big, I would get a pretty big bang out of my front end. I'm 6'3". 235. Maybe the after market kits are better. I trust the guys who have commented before me as they are good guys who have some of the nicest bikes around. Just saying I was told that for my weight the lowering kit was not good. I put the original springs back in and the bike rides great. I agree maybe it doesn't look as good but I couldn't deal with the banging myself. I would give some thought to riding a lowered bike first if you can. I'm really not dissing anyone who has a lowered bike. I love the lowered bikes better than anything. Just trying to give a heads up to a fairly heavy guy. In my opinion Rocky's got it right to get it somewhere in the middle. I've gotta tell you that I wish I read up a little before I put the original springs back in the front as I probably would have done something in between. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 PM
northtroyboy
Advanced

Thanks for the honest opinion Greg. The blue progressive shocks for the rear are designed for heavy riders and should stop the bike from bottoming out although I bet the ride will still be on the harsh side. I'll probably end up going somewhere around an 1.5" or maybe 1.75" but I doubt I'll go the full 2". Thanks for all the responses. Any other heavy riders experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm with Greggle. My bike has had several air rides in the back but I have never felt the need to lower the front end. More travel soaks up the bumps better. To those who want to lower the front slam away. I am also aware the the bike would sit more level with the front lowered, but I scrape regardless. The bottom of my "new" pipes are getting close to have a nice hole through them they sit so low and the sharp left handers are everywhere. If I were to lower the front the back would not scrape as easily, but with the way I ride it would still scrape. So, when I get my new pipes (planning on another new set) I have already accepted that they will scrape.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:22 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i lowered my bike,havent had any leaning handling problems,just harder ride and bottoms out at times,i just used lowering bolts! good for $20

Old 04-22-2010, 03:02 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm 230 and my train is pretty much slammed... I like it but it may not be for everyone. Sure I watch the road and try to avoid potholes as much as possible. 413's in the back riding on the snubber... 3* rake trees, -2 tubes, and progressive drop in lowing kit rounds out the frontend... Oh yah SE extra heavy racing fork oil and no bottom out up front.

Quick Reply: How low should I go?