Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:31 AM
northtroyboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to change out the kickstand when you lower the bike?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Greggle
Cruiser

I'm not sure if the regular jiffy stand works or not after you lower a bike. I have read prior posts where guys have said they didn't change the stand, and other say they just bent the stand in a press. The HD lowering kit (which I wouldn't use) consists of longer rear shocks and shorter springs for the front forks, also comes with a shorter kick stand. So HD says yes because a shorter stand comes in the kit. As we all know just because HD says so doesn't make it true. For the opposite, which may or may not help you, I can tell you that when I put the original springs back in the front of my heritage, taking out the short HD lowering springs, I had to take the shorter stand off and get an original length jiffy stand as the bike leaned over waaaay too much. So the long winded answer is the shorter jiffy stand doesn't work in reverse. Hope that helps

Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by northtroyboy
I still use my stock kickstand, however I must be careful when I park and always make sure that the ground is level or if it slopes I place the kickstand side of the bike on the down hill side. I like having the kickstand taller on my bike it looks better (the bike) when I park the bike and leave the handlebars straight.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lowered my 09 Fatboy 2" in the rear. I did not touch the front. Watching my floorboards when I ride I'm sure lowering the front would = scraping every turn. I am using my kickstand without any modification of any kind. I will tell you the ride will be a little stiffer but if you can increase the preload on those shocks do so and it will be very tolerable.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:05 PM
eisterd
Road Captain

I'm lowered 2" front and rear. I'm probably about 60lbs lighter than you. Too be honest, it's a pain in the ***!! I have to be VERY careful pulling in places, speed humps,etc. It's not that the suspension bottoms out so much but my shocks will hit the ground. As for cornering, if you ride like an old lady you might be fine, I'm not that aggresive and my underside looks like it's skidded down the road with no tires! LOL

Old 04-22-2010, 03:36 PM
mike06train
Road Captain

Mine is over 2-1/4 inches lowerd in the rear. I' 205lbs. and I don't bottom out but my kidneys take a hard hit on some bumps.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Softailman04
Advanced

I'm putting chrome lower forks on my Fatboy so I figured I'd put in lowering springs while I'm at it. I also ordered the blue progressive shocks from LA Choppers to help from bottoming out and a lowering kit for the rear. My question to you guys is how low should I go. I'm 6'3" and 250lbs. I want to slam it but I don't want any trouble in the corners either. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys
Are the blue Progressive shocks different then the Blue springs form LA Chopper?

Old 03-26-2019, 06:00 PM
soldierbot
Supporter
Received 104,257 Likes on 26,166 Posts

When I had my bike lowered, both front and rear, I bought a shorter kickstand. I had the bike set up like this for a few years but eventually decided to get a new set of shocks and fork tubes more for performance. I don't use footboards, just pegs, and I ground holes in the heat shield on the one side and holes in the primary cover on the other. Having to replace the primary cover for the fourth time prompted me to seek out a better solution.

The bike now sits at the max height of the Progressive suspension.

Still, scrape on occasion but I haven't had to replace a primary cover or heat shield since making the switch.

I think she still looks a bit lower than stock but the handling is miles above.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:16 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,336 Likes on 3,184 Posts

I hate when you guys resurrect a 9 year old thread and expect an answer from the OP.
I've done the same thing many times, now I check the OP post date first.
Can't answer your question Softailman, but I lowered my rear with Shotgun Shocks and I'm 6', 260.
I didn't lower the front as I like the raked look.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 AM
soldierbot
Supporter
Received 104,257 Likes on 26,166 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I hate when you guys resurrect a 9 year old thread and expect an answer from the OP.
I've done the same thing many times, now I check the OP post date first.
Can't answer your question Softailman, but I lowered my rear with Shotgun Shocks and I'm 6', 260.
I didn't lower the front as I like the raked look.

These old threads always get me.....jump right in and offer a comment before noticing I am speaking to a guy that probably ended up giving his wife the bike in their divorce....10 years ago.