Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail front brake lever travel issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
stevemaman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softail front brake lever travel issue

hi fellows.
i have a 2005 softail.
front brake lever travel is very soft and hits the handle if i squeeze.
i did the following today:

- removed the caliper,pumped the lever until both bads touching..pistons we out quite a lot without removing completely. cleaned with brake cleaner properly. repeated a few times..in-out, clean... until all 4 could be pushed in with my fingers etc...
-installed new factory pads, cleaned the pins, etc..
-replaced brake fluid with dot 5 2 times...spotless..
-blead the system perfect..
-still, the lever when squeezed has lots lots of travel before it starts resisting , then if i squeeze hard, it hits the lever..

I AM LOST AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE !!

-the master and the brake line is what is left ..

the master shows no signs of being damaged as the brake lever always has pressure and never goes dead... and pumps the same even after a week... so no internal leak...

- the brake line is what i question ? can it be that with 20k miles, the line is expanding and therefore doesnt stay solid when i apply pressure and it bulges , sending more oil into the line that it should ? which would ex plain the extra travel and sofetness ? i cant get the lever to give me a stiff feeling when pulled... it goes from regular to resistance.. then you can pull more and it goes to the handle when applying a decent amount of squeeze...

please , ideas !

Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been there before and I know it sucks. Have you ever tried to reverse bleed from the caliper using a special syringe with a tube over the bleed screw? Open the MC cover and then loosen the bleeder screw. SLOWLY force fluid back up. Sometimes this will do the trick for me. However be careful you don't shoot fluid up out of the MC or it will skeet all over your bike...

Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a similar thing happen to me.. It turned out some very small particles had come loose inside the master cylinder, probably from the chroming process, and clogged the hole in the piston. The hole is extremely small. There was alot of "trash" in the bottom. The master cylinder is pretty easy to take apart. Get this..after I put it back together it would not prime...tried and tried. I left it full of fluid and went to get a rebuild kit. when I got back it primed fine. Re-installed it and bled the system. It has worked fine since.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Go over to the brake forum. There are a few suggestions that might work for you.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

OK, so you made me go out to the garage and stare at the bike again . . . life ain't so bad . . .

Anyhow, I have a nearly new single disk FLSTC (1,500 miles). I can squeeze the front brake lever to within about 3/8" of the hand grip without too much effort. Now, understand that this is way harder than I'd ever grab a handful on the street. Much less than this and I'll lock the front wheel . . . entertaining for others to arive crossed up at a stop light . . . but I digress . . . the real question is how it feels and how it stops on the street. What you can do with the lever parked in the garage may have little to do with how it works on the street.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a similar thing happen to me.. It turned out some very small particles had come loose inside the master cylinder, probably from the chroming process, and clogged the hole in the piston.
+1 - Same thing occured with me and a set of aftermarket controls. A rubber seal had become distorted and damaged by a small metal burr. Cleaned out the master cylinder and rebuilt it with a stock H/D kit ($22.00), then purchased a Mity-Vac. Perfect brakes.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I just had this happen on my FatBoy and it was the front brake rotor. It was warped and pushing the pads back as I rode. Didn't figure it out until I rebuilt the master cylinder...

Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 PM
stevemaman
Intermediate

lyndall racing brakes are a real class act .. paul and mike are great .
after a long conversation about all i did, 2 items left untouched... master and line... the line showing no sign of expanding leaves the master as the last issue...
paul asked questions ..and all points towards the master seal letting oil through under hard pressue and coming back into the container through the 2nd hole in the container .... i did see some bubble through there.

tomorow is master cylinder day ! hope it corects the issue...

Old 09-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Graddy
5th Gear

Didn't think DOT 5 was to be used in anything other than new bikes, and I was told by dealer they were no longer using it due to problems

Old 09-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graddy
Didn't think DOT 5 was to be used in anything other than new bikes, and I was told by dealer they were no longer using it due to problems
DOT 5 from the factory in my 2002