Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neck bearing adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:52 PM
06fxsti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking neck bearing adjustment

hey guys hows everyone.Was wandering whats involved in adjusting the neck bearings? thanks for ur help

Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 PM
jma626
Intermediate

That post was on here before so try looking up in the archives

Old 04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default It depends on the bike I would think...

Originally Posted by 06fxsti
hey guys hows everyone.Was wandering whats involved in adjusting the neck bearings? thanks for ur help
First off, you need to be able to lift your bike in order to let the front end swing side to side freely so a suitable lift of some sort is the first order of the day.

Second, you need a pointer of some sort or a way to determine how far you have to turn your bars before they fall all the way to either side by themselves.

Third, you need access to the neck bearing adjuster nut which is located on your top triple tree. It is hidden underneath a cap that you unscrew to reveal the adjuster nut. In the case of a Springer, you have to loosen the pinch bolt on that upper triple tree before you can tighten/loosen the adjuster nut.

Finally, you just need the right combination of wrench/socket/etc. to be able to tighten/loosen that nut. This will all depend on what kind of clearance you have based on your risers, handlebars, tank, etc.

If your forks are too loose, tighten the nut. If they are too tight, loosen it. You should refer to your owner's manual or better yet, a service manual for your year and line of motorcycle to get the correct specs on what the fall off should be. A service manual also offers a more detailed explanation of how it is done. Better to drop the money on some good reference material than to have to deal with answers like "It's already been asked so don't ask again!"

Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
MoonCricket
Cruiser

"than to have to deal with answers like "It's already been asked so don't ask again!"
Those answers do suck...

Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

In most cases the suggestion to do a search is worthwhile. That way more than one opinion or method is available and I usually find stuff I had even thought of. Some do use it as a scolding...but normally it is just good advice. If I have what I think might be a common question then I search so that when I post it (if still needed) I will have narrowed down an issue. In this case a simple search, not advanced, turned up just short of 4 full pages and many specifications (which you should have) were given. John

Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jma626

So you know but you wont help why?

Whats that all about?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Ah yes, "The sin of the desert" is knowing where the water is, but won't tell a damn soul. Real nice. You bet.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by deadman77
So you know but you wont help why?

Whats that all about?
I agree deadman, what's up with that BS?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
jma626
Intermediate

I didn't write that on that post some smart *** from this group with all the email addresses took and used my email.Evidently that person didn't have the ***** to write his own name so he used mine .A person like like has a SIMPLE MIND

Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't write that on that post some smart *** from this group with all the email addresses took and used my email.Evidently that person didn't have the ***** to write his own name so he used mine .A person like like has a SIMPLE MIND

what???

Quick Reply: neck bearing adjustment