Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by t03cutt3r
LOL !!

"The more you know !!"
Well you asked for it. My dog is 75 lbs but I don't think I want to take him along.
Those seats/baskets are pretty pricey.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Well I got in a few good rides over Fathers-day weekend. The wife and I left Saturday morning and headed up into northern Wi and into the upper peninsula of MI. We did 380 miles the first day then a good 300 on Sunday then back home on Monday. Over all a 1100 mile trip. I have to say that the change to the 14" Apes is the best mod I have done for comfort. No more soreness between the shoulder blades and lower back. I also used the cheap drivers back rest from Ebay and that made things even more comfortable. Still not 100% happy with my seat. I may just get a C&C or Mustang with drivers back rest. Had lots of fun and both bikes ran great all weekend. The wife was also happy with the addition of a set of 8" mini apes on her 883 Low.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Well I got in a few good rides over Fathers-day weekend. The wife and I left Saturday morning and headed up into northern Wi and into the upper peninsula of MI. We did 380 miles the first day then a good 300 on Sunday then back home on Monday. Over all a 1100 mile trip. I have to say that the change to the 14" Apes is the best mod I have done for comfort. No more soreness between the shoulder blades and lower back. I also used the cheap drivers back rest from Ebay and that made things even more comfortable. Still not 100% happy with my seat. I may just get a C&C or Mustang with drivers back rest. Had lots of fun and both bikes ran great all weekend. The wife was also happy with the addition of a set of 8" mini apes on her 883 Low.
Good to hear.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM
t03cutt3r
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Well you asked for it. My dog is 75 lbs but I don't think I want to take him along.
Those seats/baskets are pretty pricey.

I wasn't mocking you, I just (like you said) couldn't imagine my dawg of that weight being on the back of the bike like that. First squirrel he would see would be it.

I appreciated the link nonetheless.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by t03cutt3r
I wasn't mocking you, I just (like you said) couldn't imagine my dawg of that weight being on the back of the bike like that. First squirrel he would see would be it.

I appreciated the link nonetheless.
I hear ya on the squirrel's. With my dog it's birds. It's like he looses every bit of good sense he has when a bird fly's by.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 PM
RightOnFatty
Cruiser

Close to exiting the freeway riding home from work, I felt my right foot pushing the rear brake with air! I struggled for about a mile before getting to the house with just the front brake. Through the whole trip, the rear brake clamped tight on the rotor, spurted out smoke and squealed like a mf stuffed pig. I thought it was very much louder than the pipes themselves. Such embarrassment. By the time I got to the garage door, with one last push on the brake pedal, the whole rear wheel was locked solid! I had to jack the bike up and pushed it into the garage, on the the jack. Any one has any idea what was going on in this case? The bike is still under warranty, so I just have to call up the tow truck and ship it to the nearby dealership. I couldn't help but wondered, on a bike that has only around 3300 miles, the brake master cylinder or the caliper would break down that fast? Does anyone out there have the same experience? Please share. Glad to be alive to sit here writing this post.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

Originally Posted by RightOnFatty
Close to exiting the freeway riding home from work, I felt my right foot pushing the rear brake with air! I struggled for about a mile before getting to the house with just the front brake. Through the whole trip, the rear brake clamped tight on the rotor, spurted out smoke and squealed like a mf stuffed pig. I thought it was very much louder than the pipes themselves. Such embarrassment. By the time I got to the garage door, with one last push on the brake pedal, the whole rear wheel was locked solid! I had to jack the bike up and pushed it into the garage, on the the jack. Any one has any idea what was going on in this case? The bike is still under warranty, so I just have to call up the tow truck and ship it to the nearby dealership. I couldn't help but wondered, on a bike that has only around 3300 miles, the brake master cylinder or the caliper would break down that fast? Does anyone out there have the same experience? Please share. Glad to be alive to sit here writing this post.
I had a rear brake problem on my 2010 Fat Bob a while back. I noticed that the when the rear brake went down it wouldn't return. I had to put my toe under the break pedal and lift it up to release the brake. Not quite the same thing but I guess it could have easily gone that way. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it. It's been a while but I think they said something about honing some part of the caliper. Try doing a search because I seem to remember at least one or two other threads with Fat Boy Lo's having rear break problems.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 AM
RightOnFatty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
I had a rear brake problem on my 2010 Fat Bob a while back. I noticed that the when the rear brake went down it wouldn't return. I had to put my toe under the break pedal and lift it up to release the brake. Not quite the same thing but I guess it could have easily gone that way. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it. It's been a while but I think they said something about honing some part of the caliper. Try doing a search because I seem to remember at least one or two other threads with Fat Boy Lo's having rear break problems.
I remembered lifting it once, too. It never worked the second time, though. So, this thing does happen to us. By chance or not, since we're rolling on only two wheels, this is a darn serious issue. Hope it does not happen to any one on the road. Now, I wonder if the tow guy would charge me extra for a bike that is not rolling on its own wheels?

Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

I don't think they'd charge extra necessarily. The bad part about your situation is that they will probably have to pick it up with a sling, which could if the guy doesn't know what he's doing, possibly damage the bike. That's one reason getting a tow for a bike can be problematic, even if the bike rolls since not all towing companies have flat beds available or know how to properly strap bikes down. It might be worth attempting to remove the rear break caliper although that might be impossible if it's seized up bad enough

Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RightOnFatty
I remembered lifting it once, too. It never worked the second time, though. So, this thing does happen to us. By chance or not, since we're rolling on only two wheels, this is a darn serious issue. Hope it does not happen to any one on the road. Now, I wonder if the tow guy would charge me extra for a bike that is not rolling on its own wheels?
As a past tow truck/repo man there are ways around this.

Ask for a flatbed truck with (gojacks) and when he goes to pull it up on the ramp use the frame with soft straps to pull it up. NOT by the forks.

Go jack is a simple device that has two tubular parallel tubes on bearings that expand and contract to size needed they go around a tire and it is jacked up by the operator by a foot jack.As it is pumped up the distance between the rollers starts to shorten until the wheel/wheels are off the groundCalling all FatBoy Lo Owners-softstrap.jpg

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-gojack.jpg
Use to use those to slowly creep a car out of a parking spot late at night...teehee..

Anyway as I was saying If a flat bed is not available ask for a tow truck with a boom. Eagle claws grab only the tires and the boom straps to your frame with softstraps. Ask the tow dispatcher if the driver carries soft straps. Any good repo/tow operator will know how to do this properly with no damage.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-s5001914.jpg  

Last edited by GriffinDenim13FLHX; 06-21-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners