Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratoscape
Josey Is there a particular rear tin that you used with the hard bags? How hard are they to remove once you have them installed? No vibration issues at all?
RWD cruiser tin that I got them to split a 10" down the middle to make a 9 1/4". Wasnt a perfect split and am still dealing with it today for not being centered....off about 1/4" twist. But nothing else out there for 200 wide tins in that style. Part of me wished I just got 2 fenders and stretched into one by a good tinman. But it is what it is and in the shop now getting fixed. The delaership just fitted as thinking no big deal 2 winters ago.

Concerning vibration...none.

If you do choose RWD, I would stress that its got to be perfect when ordering. I love the stretch and shape...and it flushes perfect to hard bags.

Concerning hard bags...the easy release fittings that came with Calavry bags didnt line up to the cycle vision brackets properly. And had to nut and bolt instead. Which imo is no big deal...just quick wrench to remove bags.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Josewales; 05-18-2013 at 08:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
skian (01-05-2017)
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Stratoscape
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josewales
RWD cruiser tin that I got them to split a 10" down the middle to make a 9 1/4". Wasnt a perfect split and am still dealing with it today for not being centered....off about 1/4" twist. But nothing else out there for 200 wide tins in that style. Part of me wished I just got 2 fenders and stretched into one by a good tinman. But it is what it is and in the shop now getting fixed. The delaership just fitted as thinking no big deal 2 winters ago.

If you do choose RWD, I would stress that its got to be perfect when ordering. I love the stretch and shape...and it flushes perfect to hard bags.

Concerning hard bags...the easy release fittings that came with Calavry bags didnt line up to the cycle vision brackets properly. And had to nut and bolt instead. Which imo is no big deal...just quick wrench to remove bags.

Hope that helps.
thanks man... you have some more detailed pics and from other angles? or did you post them awhile ago?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior

thanks man... you have some more detailed pics and from other angles? or did you post them awhile ago?
Name:  3E1EEC6B-7D7E-4A03-A118-041E409C4A2B-231-0000002EC938B35F_zps87dd49c0.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  160.0 KB

Name:  A9E8C1EF-7750-4780-A5D2-91EFF82FE692-231-0000002EBC342FBB_zps92b68008.jpg
Views: 4890
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0015.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  405.1 KB

Old 05-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Stratoscape
Advanced

So the sissy bar mounting hardware stays the same... It looks like the V&H 2in2 will still work..
For wheels whats the opinion on not having matching fronts and rears? I dont mind the bullet rear and with bags its hidden. But I really dont like fighting the wind with the fronts... So changing the back would be a cosmetic only cost.. or is running different like socks and flipflops?

Old 05-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior

So the sissy bar mounting hardware stays the same... It looks like the V&H 2in2 will still work..
For wheels whats the opinion on not having matching fronts and rears? I dont mind the bullet rear and with bags its hidden. But I really dont like fighting the wind with the fronts... So changing the back would be a cosmetic only cost.. or is running different like socks and flipflops?
Good question....I still am thinking about switching wheels...hard to justify the rear when its hidden. But as an owner...it will bother the hell out of ya? Me it would.

And I had VH Big Radius, but never had the chance to think about bags in the way...first I was just going duals...then bags came after.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:12 AM
RightOnFatty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbish3
Just got my 2013 Lo about a month ago. Only put in about 600 miles so far since it wants to rain all the time. Done a couple mods so far. Rinehart slip ons, lay down license plate and a gel seat. Love it so far! Love this forum and thanks for all the great advice so far! I have the candy orange. I will try to figure out how to get pics off the computer.
Welcome to the Lo vortex. If you felt being sucked in, it's normal. LOL. And if you couldn't post any pic right away, you might have to have more general posts first. Welcome and ride safe.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question....I still am thinking about switching wheels...hard to justify the rear when its hidden. But as an owner...it will bother the hell out of ya? Me it would.
Just my opinion, and this is based on my friends bagger, he's running an old night train rear wheel..the one that looks like the Lo's, but with more aluminum in the rim.. and it looks really damn good under his extended bags.. but he's running a 2010 Street Glide front (his bike is a 2002 electra glide). Together going down the road it looks pretty good because of the way the front looks while rotating, but the back is solid, which looks good because it's hidden by the bags, and not a lot of light shines through it anyways..

Oh..so my opinion would be to pick out the full set of wheels that you would want, but just buy the front first, keep the rear, and if you don't like it, then buy the rear

Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Just my opinion, and this is based on my friends bagger, he's running an old night train rear wheel..the one that looks like the Lo's, but with more aluminum in the rim.. and it looks really damn good under his extended bags.. but he's running a 2010 Street Glide front (his bike is a 2002 electra glide). Together going down the road it looks pretty good because of the way the front looks while rotating, but the back is solid, which looks good because it's hidden by the bags, and not a lot of light shines through it anyways..

Oh..so my opinion would be to pick out the full set of wheels that you would want, but just buy the front first, keep the rear, and if you don't like it, then buy the rear
True. And lot cheaper taking the risk.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Jd440
6th Gear

i just love the way th lo looks

Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Stratoscape
Advanced

Hope that helps.
So did RWD mess that up or the dealer? Did RWD cover it? Ill PM you for the contact details.. When you get the tin is it flat metal? With virgin metal like that do you PC it directly or have it painted?

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners