Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the chrome ones look much better with the denim paint than the black caps would have looked. and for 99 bucks, can't go wrong.

i am, however, curfuffled.. something is wrong with my engine. there's an odd noise coming from the cams that's bothered me now for quite some time. it's kind of a whirring sound..like something rubbing on the chains. i've narrowed it down to 4 1/2 possible things, and have already pretty much ruled 2 of them out.
it's either:
1) The cams aren't sitting flush with each other, maybe from when i was torquing them in to spec, which means the chain is barely cocked..or one of the two chains..
1.5) the chain is rubbing on the cam support plate

2) When i had to cam chain tensioners out, i took them apart, and put the back together, but maybe the pads are facing the wrong direction? the bike only has like 5600 miles on it, so i know they're not worn in any way, so im pretty much ruling this one out.

3) One of the bearings is bad, and that's the noise im hearing

4) the oil pump isn't working. i've ruled those one out because the engine is full of oil, so i know oil is pumping..and because its not the sound i'm hearing.

so i don't have time during the week to work on it, i'm going to bring the bike back inside (calling for rain Saturday anyways), and tear the whole bottom end down again and take a look. i've already got new gaskets on order, and a new bottle of assembly lube.. i didn't order new bearings yet, because i'm not even sure it's them. I don't know. But that's why im curfuffled. I also like that word.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few photos from Saturday's ride. The "handlebar" urinal was kind of interesting. There is also a "bottle" house as well as one of the "disciples" getting ready to go for a bike ride.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-hd-rhyolite030913-16credwmsrgb.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-hd-rhyolite030913-27credwmsrgb.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-hd-rhyolite030913-33credwmsrgb-blurred.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Zlatanist
Stage I
Default Fat boy special 2011

This is my fatboy that i just bought.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-image.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to the Lo club. We don't see to many white Lo's in here.
Nice photo.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Good choice Zlatanist. Now let the modding begin haha. Buying the bike is only the start. Ride safe If you ever need anything answered speak up and it will be answered I'm sure. These guys are a good peoples . Welcome to the Lo

Old 03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Alright, so the bike is going under for an operation of sorts tonight... Time for the old exhaust to go off and the new to go on! Here's the last crappy cellphone pic you'll see of the old exhaust:

Also, when I took off the swingarm bag, I was extremely disappointed to see that the leather straps on it rubbed off the paint all the way to bare metal at every point they made contact. Now I have 4 bare metal spots on the swingarm. The best way to fix it would be to take the damn thing off and get it re-powdercoated, but that's not happening...

So, what would be the best color match to spray on the swingarm?!?! I am pretty desperate for an answer on this pretty quickly because I want to spray it before I start putting on the left side pipe which will be sometime tomorrow, most likely around noon. I can swing by Lowe's or Autozone first thing in the morning to pick up the paint.

Also, anyone got any quick tips for replacing the exhaust? I did the slip-ons before but haven't done a full system yet; seems pretty straight forward, but I am positive I will most likely run into some sort of snag...

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 03-15-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

http://www.eharleyparts.com/cart/Har..._Paint_98601DH

Maybe this?^^

or thisVV
http://www.colorrite.com/product/har...denim-2013.cfm

Last edited by GriffinDenim13FLHX; 03-15-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Alright, so the bike is going under for an operation of sorts tonight... Time for the old exhaust to go off and the new to go on! Here's the last crappy cellphone pic you'll see of the old exhaust:

Also, when I took off the swingarm bag, I was extremely disappointed to see that the leather straps on it rubbed off the paint all the way to bare metal at every point they made contact. Now I have 4 bare metal spots on the swingarm. The best way to fix it would be to take the damn thing off and get it re-powdercoated, but that's not happening...

So, what would be the best color match to spray on the swingarm?!?! I am pretty desperate for an answer on this pretty quickly because I want to spray it before I start putting on the left side pipe which will be sometime tomorrow, most likely around noon. I can swing by Lowe's or Autozone first thing in the morning to pick up the paint.

Also, anyone got any quick tips for replacing the exhaust? I did the slip-ons before but haven't done a full system yet; seems pretty straight forward, but I am positive I will most likely run into some sort of snag...
Well now we need a crappy cell phone pic of the new. For the paint I would say that John Deere Blitz Black will be the best match for a spray bomb.

For the exhaust just take your time and read the instructions. Use new gaskets. What ever you new system is use what they recommend. I know that V&H recommend the SE gaskets while Rush and some others work best with the older tapered crush gaskets. When mounting the pipes leave the rear brackets loose until you have tightened and torqued the exhaust to the heads. I always work front to back when tightening things, Be sure to use some high heat anti seize on your exhaust studs. Have fun and don't stress it's not a very hard task at all. Oh ya be sure to clean your exhaust and heat shields really good before you fire it up or you will burn in finger prints and smudges.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Be sure to use some high heat anti seize on your exhaust studs. Have fun and don't stress it's not a very hard task at all. Oh ya be sure to clean your exhaust and heat shields really good before you fire it up or you will burn in finger prints and smudges.
That is what I'm talkin about! I would have never known about these 2 things without a reply! I'm not real sure where to pick that John Deere paint up (if I was back home in Oklahoma that wouldn't be a problem... Right on the east coast is a different story) unless Lowes or some place carries it.

Griff: thanks for the response! Unfortunately the top one is for the Vivid Black and the bottom link you sent looks like it would work but one aerosol can of that stuff is god awful expensive. But I appreciate you lookin out though!

So I am able to respond now because the exhaust is off completely now. It's time for bed! I'll be up bright and early in the morning to put the new ones on and hopefully I'll have some pics up late tomorrow morning or in the afternoon.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

You can get a spray can of denim from your dealer.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners