Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
It got to 62F here today, warmest day in a very long time so went for a short ride with a friend. Not much to tell, but we stopped at an old gas station for a couple pics. The color was washed out due to the overcast weather, so I warmed them up a bit.

Hey Beasley, your bike is looking good as always. So would you mind giving me a little info about your windshield? I can see it's a Windvest but is it the 14" tall or 16" tall one? I am considering picking one of these up as well. How does it do actually blocking the wind?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by bauer4567
I am assuming the same, but from what I read about the software for the SE tuner, the only option is "race exhaust". I might just need to buy the software and cable to do this myself. Hate not doing anything on my bikes
There are no specific brand/model options for exhaust in the software, what you need to do is rework the VE tables with some smart tune runs or some dyno time. The scavenging effect of the new exhaust will be different and will effect the way the way the rest of the map works. The amount of fuel the injectors deliver is calculated on the VE and AFR tables, so if your VE tables are off your fuel isn't right. It's not hard to do. All you need is the cables and software.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 AM
RightOnFatty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

900 pages of this wonderful thread!!! I'm on page 900? Wow.....though it's late, I still have to get a beer to celebrate.
You guys are all great. Ride safe when you can.

Last edited by RightOnFatty; 03-04-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Hey Beasley, your bike is looking good as always. So would you mind giving me a little info about your windshield? I can see it's a Windvest but is it the 14" tall or 16" tall one? I am considering picking one of these up as well. How does it do actually blocking the wind?
Hey Dave, thanks. It is indeed a Windvest and it is currently a 14x14. It originally came with a 14x16 but I wanted it level or below the top of the bars, mainly for looks but also to get it further out of my line of sight.

I've had 5 different shields on here (heritage, nostalgic, etc), and these are definitely the best compromise for looks and effectiveness. It's nice and small that it sort of blends in, but very effective at taking the wind pressure off your chest and cuts the wind noise. I was getting tired of the full blast of wind past my ears even with plugs in and my back was starting to hurt after 100 miles or so without a shield.

I snagged it off eBay NOS in the box for $130. I grabbed the 14x14 new replacement shield from a forum member for $50 and hung the 14x16 on the wall for future use. The new price on these things is outrageous and I'm not sure I'd have one today if I had to pay full price before. However, now that I used one for awhile I can seriously recommend it to guys that want some relief but not the king size shields.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadanimal
Got my parts back from The Powder Pro! Very happy with the look and quality of work.

man bike looks fantastic!!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Havic08
Tourer

Now I am little worried. My plan was to use the wife's hairdryer get the reflector nice and hot and then use dental floss to go underneath. Maybe little goo-gone to clean up.

Hope that buffs out

Originally Posted by Griff11Lo
I used WD-40 as well along with a plastic scraper... Don't do it. Guess it's time to use Jim's pics and directions to remove fork bottoms have the powder coated, if I cannot fix.
I would assume I should be able to buff them out or something. This bike is so delicate.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadanimal
Got my parts back from The Powder Pro! Very happy with the look and quality of work.

Digging that diamond plate bib.
Store bought or homemade?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Havic08
Tourer

Nice looking bike Beasly,

I think you posted in my other thread about Windvest. Would you mind posting some more pictures of it. Maybe a straight-on and side shot. If you already did somewhere on the forums, let me know and Ill look for it. I did search already and there a bunch of posting. Hard to find the ones with it on a Lo

thanks

Hey Dave, thanks. It is indeed a Windvest and it is currently a 14x14. It originally came with a 14x16 but I wanted it level or below the top of the bars, mainly for looks but also to get it further out of my line of sight.

I've had 5 different shields on here (heritage, nostalgic, etc), and these are definitely the best compromise for looks and effectiveness. It's nice and small that it sort of blends in, but very effective at taking the wind pressure off your chest and cuts the wind noise. I was getting tired of the full blast of wind past my ears even with plugs in and my back was starting to hurt after 100 miles or so without a shield.

I snagged it off eBay NOS in the box for $130. I grabbed the 14x14 new replacement shield from a forum member for $50 and hung the 14x16 on the wall for future use. The new price on these things is outrageous and I'm not sure I'd have one today if I had to pay full price before. However, now that I used one for awhile I can seriously recommend it to guys that want some relief but not the king size shields.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:06 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Havic08
Now I am little worried. My plan was to use the wife's hairdryer get the reflector nice and hot and then use dental floss to go underneath. Maybe little goo-gone to clean up.

Hope that buffs out
I just soaked them good with WD-40, waited 5 minutes and just yanked them off with my fingernails. Once you get an edge started they tear right off.
The ones on the rear, on paint, left a little glueage behind, but again I just used fingernails to scrape off the rest.
Just take your time.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Thanks Bill, this is exactly the response I was looking for. I have considered the other windshields but I was unsure how they would work with the apes and they are rather bulky. I will keep my eye out for someone maybe selling one here on the forums because, as you said, the retail price for these windshields are pretty damn high. I may go with the 16" one since I have a little higher bars than yours.

On another note, I should be getting exhaust in within a week, so if anyone is looking for some V&H Twin Slash slip-ons or a Leatherworks 312XL swingarm bag (as much as I hate to get rid of it) let me know. The slip-ons sound awesome and are in good shape. The swingarm bag is in great condition and has kept it's shape but has a couple of scrapes on the bottom from some hard leaning.

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 03-04-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners