Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Oh hell yeah good reference. That will help me a lot thank you. I have no service manual "yet" so anything helps. Have to find one of those rainy spring days in April to change the oil and have a beer or twelve.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 AM
turd fergussen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since we're on the subject of oil changes... anyone using or used one of these?
http://www.roguechopper.com/products..._Kit_RC120.htm

Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

I like it for sure. Gonna have to grab one of those just to keep on hand. Looks simple to use. Good find man. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont use a puck for 2 reasons.. one, i don't believe that mixing 1/2qt with 3 qts ruins the entire viscosity of the oil, and two, you can do the same thing for free using the old oil filter..

drain your old oil, leave the filter on, refill with new oil, disconnect your oil return line and do the hose-to-bucket thing, start your engine...your old oil filter becomes the puck. once it starts running clean, turn the bike off, swap out the oil filters, replace oil return line, top off oil levels

Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Griff11Lo
Ya I have used redline oil in my past bikes but you know this is a Harley= my first . So yeah kinda over thinking it probably ha.
Haha, I know exactly where you are coming from. I over thought everything and I researched the hell out of everything. This was not only my first Harley, but it was my first motorcycle. Period. I had never even ridden on anything other than my friend's dirtbikes my whole life until I drove this thing away from the dealership, and even then, the last time I was on 2 wheels before that was when I was about 16 (bought this bike on a deployment when I was 23). And man, was I bugging out when I first started working on it!

The first thing I did to the bike was throw on some slip-on mufflers and it was about game over right then and there at the very beginning of this journey... The stock ones were on there pretty snug and so I went to push on the bike with my feet while pulling on the muffler (smart idea huh? ). As you can guess, muffler flew off, I ended up on my back, my legs pushed the bike forward (thus unlocking the kickstand from it's locked out position), and I had to scramble to jump up, catch the bike and heave it back upright. Now, I am a pretty big guy, but trying to catch an 800 lb bike as it is tipping over is no simple task... After I got things settled back down I had to run inside, sit down, drink a beer and think about what I was doing with my life.

But since then I have done a bunch of other work to it, all in my garage. No one has worked on anything on the bike except for me, myself and I (well, except for the guy who PCd some parts for me, but that doesn't count, the parts were already taken off). Many of the guys on the forum have helped me out since I got it. I bought some parts from Beasley, I learned a quite a few DIY tips from Sgt Jim, Misbehaven gave me a few tips and yelled at me for having my reflectors and I have since learned the errors of my ways.

So go ahead and overthink things. It's fun. Overthinking keeps you from overspending on things you don't neccessarily need. So do wives, unless you hide those things from them. It took my wife a week to notice I installed the apes on my bike haha.

I know, I know, tl;dr

Holy crap, I just read that back to myself, what a freakin sob story haha.

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 02-26-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn now I'm the Reflector Police. LOL Only because of all the remove the reflector statements reflected at me when I got my ride.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Haha, I do it all the time now too. That's pretty much the first thought that comes to my head when someone posts up a new bike.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by turd fergussen
since we're on the subject of oil changes... anyone using or used one of these?
http://www.roguechopper.com/products..._Kit_RC120.htm
I use the Rougechopper puck and like it. Call me **** but I like the idea of getting all the old oil out. I am sure there is no harm having some old stuff in there but I feel better knowing that there isn't. I have removed between 20 and 26 oz of old oil during a change on my bike and around 16-18 on the wife's sportster. Jims idea of using the old Oil filter sounds like it would work the same.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Pengy_2000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Haha, I do it all the time now too. That's pretty much the first thought that comes to my head when someone posts up a new bike.
I've still gotta pull mine off lol

Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pengy_2000
I've still gotta pull mine off lol
Do it or else....

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners