Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds great with a nice loap from the cams. Smoke is most likely just oils burning off.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I'm hoping it is.. just like when I had my exhaust ceramic coated it took a few hours for the post-work coating to burn off.. and it did/smelled the exact same thing/way.

Also.. 1/2-th gear felt really good as I wheeled it from my back door to the shed that I keep her in (its a nice shed, really).. never got off the clutch the entire way..but it felt good! Haha

Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Hopefully the weather will get better soon. I need to put mine back together so I can ride soon.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:38 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Very nice Sgt_Jim. I am glad to hear that beast running. What was the cost? Turnaround time of parts? were there any special things you came across that one might address if attempting to do this. Overall difficulty level.. I think in previous posts you rated a 5/10. You still feel that way?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

If I decide to do the 107 upgrade I am going to wuss out on it and take it to Fuelmoto and have them do it. They are only 65 miles away from me. If was home more and had time I would do it my self.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Total cost was like $2250 or somewhere in that range, it included the core-exchange 107" kit with cams, the Level B C&C'd heads, and compression releases, and a few quarts of oil. The first box of parts (107" kit) got to me in like 3 days from FM, but I shipped out my heads right before Christmas, so it took an extended period to get them back.. also because it's winter, so it's the high-traffic season for them, so it took about 3-4 weeks before I got my heads back to me. Plus I had to get one of my mufflers re-ceramic coated, so that took a few more days as well.

What I've learned: Double check every step you do.. several times I've had to take things apart because I put a gasket in backwards, or upside-down (yes they have orientation).

Only special tools that I needed: Ball-ended allen wrenches, paint sticks (for piston rings, although a piston ring compressor would have worked better), and the bearing removal/install tools for the cam bearings.

Have the service manual, in combination with the video tutorials FuelMoto has on their site and YouTube, it's an extremely easy project. Hardest part was definitely the piston retaining clips.. it was just annoying.

If you're familiar with your bike, and how everything comes apart and goes back together, total labor time, including removing/reinstalling your exhaust, is probably around 12 hours. The cams were the surprisingly easy part to do. If one were to just do a cam swap, that's probably like a 2-3 hour job, including removing/reinstalling the exhaust.

Overall, a solid 8/10 on project enjoyability. That will probably be a 9 once I get some good miles on the engine and make sure everything functions how it should (i.e. i didn't break something), and it won't be a 10 because of those damn piston retaining rings, and the stress it put me through

Old 02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
barbs3131
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice work Sgt_Jim, looks and sounds like everything turned out great!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
jeffc68
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds awesome and grats on the new build. Cant wait to hear what you think after breakin.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

That is really not a bad price. for everything inc. cams,gaskets,dowels,head work,pistons,rings Very , very nice sir.

Update on the S100 Total Cycle Cleaner:
In a word "awesome"
Defined: Spray bike of first to remove and loose dirt and grime. Spray the S100 over everything on one side then wash off right away with high pressure water. Then switch to the other side spray everything paint, chrome, aluminum,rubber...no problems then wash off , Make sure to get all of the S100 off the bike. Blow dry or towel which ever you choose. Kind of has a smell like old school "Gunk" engine cleaner. Deep cleans well. Very easy.

Kinda costly I bought one spray bottle for $7.99 and used 3/4 for the bike. Think I will stick with the simple green or purple power cleaner. Way cheaper.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah S100 stuff works very nicely.. Only gripe i've had with some of them is that they can be silicone based (like HD Engine cleaner and such).. so if you don't get it all off the bike, dirt and grime and stuff sticks right to it, so after 1 good ride your nice blacks start looking like dookie browns.

I just use Simple Green Carwash and water, 20 minutes top to bottom to clean everything, then just dry it all off with either towels or if i'm feeling ambitious, a leaf blower.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners