Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Albatross14
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BACON84
I am only 28, and I would make the same choice. I have driven on Ice exactly 1 time...... I was in my truck hit a sheet of ice on a bridge. I was being careful driving maybe 20mph, and still the truck spun around a couple times in the middle of the road. I lucked out. Truck came to a stop facing the original direction of travel, sitting perfectly still on the shoulder. You would swear i parked it there on purpose. Scared the Frick outta me... and convinced me to NEVER move north! LOL. (born and raised in Louisiana, been in Texas 18mos or so.)

That was Christmas morning of '04. Between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.....
Guessing living in Canada not an option

Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM
RightOnFatty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toledofatboy
I also ordered a fairing from Reckless. It is also removable. It will mount on the stock Harley windshield hardware.
I see the pic of your bike which sports an HD windshield. Did it give you lots of wind buffeting and that was why you wanted to switch to Reckless fairing? I'm looking forward to purchasing a shield from HD, but at the same time worrying about the said problem. Please let us know how the Reckless works out for you. I thought I saw on their website a Fat Boy with the fairing installed rising above the hand grips!? That doesn't go well with the idea of keeping your hands away from the wind Your pics of the new toy are very much appreciated. Thanks.
Anyway, wind buffeting is an old problem that will never be worked out for most. While awaiting the ultimate answer to that, I have acquired a seat with the backrest from C&C. Without the shield, all the wind can do is to push me back against the back rest. It's getting colder, but I now can hold on for much longer without easy fatigue at 75+ mph. Constructive comments are welcome.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:47 PM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RightOnFatty
I see the pic of your bike which sports an HD windshield. Did it give you lots of wind buffeting and that was why you wanted to switch to Reckless fairing? I'm looking forward to purchasing a shield from HD, but at the same time worrying about the said problem. Please let us know how the Reckless works out for you. I thought I saw on their website a Fat Boy with the fairing installed rising above the hand grips!? That doesn't go well with the idea of keeping your hands away from the wind Your pics of the new toy are very much appreciated. Thanks.
Anyway, wind buffeting is an old problem that will never be worked out for most. While awaiting the ultimate answer to that, I have acquired a seat with the backrest from C&C. Without the shield, all the wind can do is to push me back against the back rest. It's getting colder, but I now can hold on for much longer without easy fatigue at 75+ mph. Constructive comments are welcome.
Can you post a pic of the seat. I was contemplating a seat with a backrest. I checked c&c website but I didn't see a seat for our bike with a backrest. Can you share some info on it? Price and part# thanks.
I have a Reckless fairing and it does block a lot of the wind but you do get some from the sides. I guess the only way to solve all buffering is to jump into your car instead of the bike. You can see pics of my bike with the Reckless fairing on this thread page 831

Last edited by serjayson; 11-11-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 AM
RightOnFatty
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by serjayson
Can you post a pic of the seat. I was contemplating a seat with a backrest. I checked c&c website but I didn't see a seat for our bike with a backrest. Can you share some info on it? Price and part# thanks.
I have a Reckless fairing and it does block a lot of the wind but you do get some from the sides. I guess the only way to solve all buffering is to jump into your car instead of the bike. You can see pics of my bike with the Reckless fairing on this thread page 831
Much obliged. And thanks for the info on the Reckless fairing. Here are the pics.
The story was kinda unique. I was like you, looking for a solo seat with a backrest. There was none from C&C. They didn't have any for our Fat Boy Lo's back then. After speaking to boss man Dave and finding out that they are only 15 minute riding distance away, we had came to an agreement: I would leave my bike there for them to make the seats out of, and in return, they would give me a deep discount on the seat that I wanted. It worked out very nice after all. Sorry, I could not disclose any pricing without their consent, nor the part numbers (because at this point there is none). They promise to update their website soon to reflect all of the additions. At this time, I'd suggest you to contact either Dave or Chuck to find out. Do mention my story. You might catch a good discount for your new seat there Mine is made out of just plain old vinyl to match the original tank bib, but you can ask for leather or other exotic skins for extra money. Good luck.
Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  99.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0003-1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  171.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  206.1 KB

Last edited by RightOnFatty; 11-12-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Toledofatboy
Advanced

I have a reckless fairing ordered, and it should show up today. Shipped last thursday. I'll give a full report when I get it installed. I don't get any buffeting from my HD windshield, but I would imagine your height would have a lot to do with whether you get buffeting or not. I'm an even 6 foot. Looking at the HD windshield I'm guessing that cutting a new piece of lexan a bit higher would solve buffeting problems. I also have seen a company that make a shield that has a little lip at the top that turns up and deflects the wind straight up. I would have to think this would help.
Out riding yesterday and got home well after dark. The temps had dropped below 50. Between the heated grips and the heated seat, I was very very comfortable and I'm guessing I can ride comfortably in much colder weather.
I bought a Corbin classic solo and pillion with removable backrest. For very little extra money they will install a heater in the seat. For what little cost it was, I told them to do it. The corbin seat was, in my opinion, the best thing I ever did to my bike. *** pain on long rides wascompletely eliminated. It's comfortable, well built, and good looking. I can't recomment it enough.
When im done, I hope to have a bike that will go from bar hopper to cruiser in a matter of 15 minutes. Snap on the fairing and the saddle bags and cruise. Take the bags and fairing off and hot rod around town. I'm planning to build a custom rack to hold the bags and fairing, and make a cover for it. A bike for all reasons and all seasons.
I'll give a full report when done. I imagine it will be complete next weekend.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RightOnFatty
Much obliged. And thanks for the info on the Reckless fairing. Here are the pics.
The story was kinda unique. I was like you, looking for a solo seat with a backrest. There was none from C&C. They didn't have any for our Fat Boy Lo's back then. After speaking to boss man Dave and finding out that they are only 15 minute riding distance away, we had came to an agreement: I would leave my bike there for them to make the seats out of, and in return, they would give me a deep discount on the seat that I wanted. It worked out very nice after all. Sorry, I could not disclose any pricing without their consent, nor the part numbers (because at this point there is none). They promise to update their website soon to reflect all of the additions. At this time, I'd suggest you to contact either Dave or Chuck to find out. Do mention my story. You might catch a good discount for your new seat there Mine is made out of just plain old vinyl to match the original tank bib, but you can ask for leather or other exotic skins for extra money. Good luck.

Is that seat using the stock2 bolt mount in the rear?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM
RightOnFatty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Is that seat using the stock2 bolt mount in the rear?
I get you some exposed views of the mounting hardware. As you can see, they offer a T-bar that attached to the stock 2 bolts. There is even enough room for the solo rack. I have to cut a notch on the rack itself for a tiny clearance (I actually drill a hole through it, then paint it black). I also bench-vised it into a little S-shape at the end. I will pc 'em all black some day. Hope this helps.
Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  99.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0012.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  94.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0013.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  100.8 KB

Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM
RightOnFatty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Toledofatboy
I have a reckless fairing ordered, and it should show up today. Shipped last thursday. I'll give a full report when I get it installed. I don't get any buffeting from my HD windshield, but I would imagine your height would have a lot to do with whether you get buffeting or not. I'm an even 6 foot. Looking at the HD windshield I'm guessing that cutting a new piece of lexan a bit higher would solve buffeting problems. I also have seen a company that make a shield that has a little lip at the top that turns up and deflects the wind straight up. I would have to think this would help.
Out riding yesterday and got home well after dark. The temps had dropped below 50. Between the heated grips and the heated seat, I was very very comfortable and I'm guessing I can ride comfortably in much colder weather.
I bought a Corbin classic solo and pillion with removable backrest. For very little extra money they will install a heater in the seat. For what little cost it was, I told them to do it. The corbin seat was, in my opinion, the best thing I ever did to my bike. *** pain on long rides wascompletely eliminated. It's comfortable, well built, and good looking. I can't recomment it enough.
When im done, I hope to have a bike that will go from bar hopper to cruiser in a matter of 15 minutes. Snap on the fairing and the saddle bags and cruise. Take the bags and fairing off and hot rod around town. I'm planning to build a custom rack to hold the bags and fairing, and make a cover for it. A bike for all reasons and all seasons.
I'll give a full report when done. I imagine it will be complete next weekend.
Some would report the wind buffeting from below. In your case, it is from the top. I just wish that the HD dealer would implant a loaner program for this kind of thing. But if doing so, they'd probably lose their business to aftermarket crowd which produce far better sheilds. Anyway, your full illustrated report is highly anticipated. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Hey Toledo, if you ever want to get rid of that HD windshield, shoot me a message. I may be in the market for a used one soon. Should definitely help with this winter riding.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Freedom Performance exhaust?

Another question: anyone else who has the open air intake with a K&N filter, has yours went from red to grey? Mine has changed to grey on the top like it is fading from the sun, which I would not think a quality filter would do...

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 11-12-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Time to clean and re oil your k&n filter. The oil will make it red again.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners