Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
highdrum
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will talk to some of the body shops in my area and see how much its going to cost/job process. I never realized how much money a guy can get tied up into these bikes so quickly. Anything for a HD isn't cheap!

Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
First off, Highdrum: sick lookin bike! Have you thought about sending the fairing out to get painted denim black? (I know, it's a lot of money to do it.)

The PCV is working great BTW Bill! And why do you tempt me so with putting your other pipes in the classifieds?! You may be getting an email from me soon one those... maybe... I have spent a lot already and have to keep the rest of my money for the cruise this year, but we will see.

Ok, so here is what is happening on the silver Lo: I got all of my stuff from the powdercoater ($200 for the upper and lower fork legs, console, sissybar and sideplates, shifter levers and brake lever) and while the overall appearance looks great (he even put a coat of clear over the top), the edges around bolt holes and other open places look like ****... I spent about 1.5 hours scraping off the excess powder with a razor blade and then sanding it smooth.

So I go to put the forks together and when I went to slide them on, the got stuck... well i took them back apart and noticed that I completely forgot to check the inside of the fork tubes... FILTHY!!! Absolutely filled with pieces of sand stuck to the leftover oil inside the lower fork legs... Like an idiot, I never even checked to ensure the inside of the tube was clean. So when I go to pull it apart, I see there is some light scratching inside the fork leg, but this is what concerns me:

It is the "Lower Slider Bushing"
As you can see, the one side is scratched all to hell (well, not that bad really, the teflon-like coating is the part that is scratched, the actual metal is fine)... Now here is the thing, is this ok? Will this affect anything if I sand it smooth? I am kinda running on a budget here and would really rather not have to go pick up another one of these (even if it is only $10 or so; the dealership is a pretty good drive away from me though), but may do so anyways just for safety's sake. Jim? Bill? Got any input on this?
Yikes. How does the inside of the tubes look? If the insides cleaned up after that and look ok, I'd get new bushings. Cheap investment to keep the lower tubes from getting messed up. You might be able to sand smooth and be ok, but I don't know how important the tolerances are for those, sanding them smooth might take them out of spec.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Captian
Spring for some new bushings man! I have built a bunch of hydraulic cylinders in my time and I have thrown out better looking parts. Be sure to get the bore clean and hope your bushing absorbed all the damage.

Bill
I been looking at the power vision thats a nice piece there, real time feedback and no lap top needed. Wish I would have found this thread before I bought my SE Pro!!! I picked up a set of 255 cams today 2 bills new in the box. When you changed your's out did you need to change your spacers to keep the chain true?

I think I have seen a place on here to get factory parts but I can't seem to find it. There was a house cleaning at my favorite local dealer and my dudes are gone. The guys left are " more harley than thou " to answer any questions or try to help you, now the only thing they will say is bring it in our service department should do that.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 AM
LoFatBoy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNB
No, they are not RSD. I picked them up at the local dealer though the dealer sells RSD products as well.

Santee Designer Series "Bonanza II"
http://www.bikernet.com/blog/?p=5875
Thx for the info.

Ps..you got a killer looking scoot

Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Bruce2383
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TNB
I've had those on my bike for quite some time though I always ride with gloves.

What bars are those that you have in that picture, im trying to decide what to add

Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Lone wolf lo 10
Tourer

Funny, I went to a dealer that had a band and car/bike show today, only one other lo there out of 150 200 bikes, all that was done was a windshield, haven't seen any lo's out on the road or a bike events, where are they all hiding....... I'm guessing it may have been because it was a bluegrass band and was a little chily and a chance of rain, but ended up being a great day for a ride

Last edited by Lone wolf lo 10; 04-29-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM
WillyT
Novice
Default My new Lo!!!!!

Finally took delivery of my new 2012 Lo.
Carlini 14" Flyin apes "made the right choice they are so comfortable", V&H 2 into 2 pipes, Stage 1, Darkiside theme billet air cleaner as well as matching derby & points cover's and grips. Had the primary, forks and headlight PC'd. Lovin the blackness! Only put 60 miles on but not bad for being 48 degree's and blowing gust over 40 mph here in beautiful Masschusetts today. I don't care if it snow's tomorrow I'm riding that **** to work!

Cheers from Mass

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-hd8.jpg  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Lone wolf lo 10
Tourer

Originally Posted by WillyT
Carlini 14" Flyin apes "made the right choice they are so comfortable", V&H 2 into 2 pipes, Stage 1, Darkiside theme billet air cleaner as well as matching derby & points cover's and grips. Had the primary, forks and headlight PC'd. Lovin the blackness! Only put 60 miles on but not bad for being 48 degree's and blowing gust over 40 mph here in beautiful Masschusetts today. I don't care if it snow's tomorrow I'm riding that **** to work!

Cheers from Mass
Welcome and sweet lo man

Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WillyT

Cheers from Mass
Welcome to the Lo Dark Side. Great looking bike I really like your choice with the Darkiside theme billet stuff. Have fun and ride safe.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Stratoscape
Advanced

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Here is mine setup for the long 2 up rides.
Misbehaven, What bars are those? will that screen work with street slammers? Im trying to decided between a screen or a bat wing.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners